Subject: A Civil War Experiance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Camecol501 Camecol501
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
A House Divided captures the feel of the Civil War. The Northern Player has many decisions to make and if they choose poorly they can recieve a sudden loss from a Confederate action. The Southern player knows they have less troops and fewer opportunities, forcing them to make bold choices to defy the northern player before the North becomes unstoppable.

The Rulebook is confusing during a first time play through. But by the time you are a few turns into a game you will work out the kinks. Once you figure out the rules you realize they contain many many great additional options that can be added in as you choose.

The combat system works well and adds some thematic elements. But battles are decided by dice. Which often can allow for alot of luck. I've had those battle were one or two good dice rolls can turn the whole tide. Each Unit can take two hits and is able to choose which opposing units to attack, which is a nice feature.

Each turn a player's actions are determined by a die roll which is compared to a chart. This adds to theme because the Union player gains more turns each year while the confederate players drops turns per year. This same system is used for reinforcemetns which can be depressing but works.

Overall, this is a fun wargame. It has a slight learning curve but once figured out becomes a fun thematic civil war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a very good game.

And not wanting to be that guy, but...

I'm appalled this made it through GeekMod as a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
It is a very good game.

And not wanting to be that guy, but...

I'm appalled this made it through GeekMod as a review.

+1thumbsup ...that's funny laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.