James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have begun to venture into the wargame community.

A dark and scary place.

Seriously, the latest USE has arrived and I would like to sort and organize it from the beginning. It looks like one of the highest-count games I've seen, in terms of counters.

I can put off the larger task by only breaking out the counters I need, based on the tutorials... but in the long run, does anyone have suggestions on how to store the game?

Leaving it in the box, unpunched, is simply not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think small ziploc baggies is fine; don't think you need counter trays. One of the nice things about USE is the relatively small # of units on the map at once while still giving a strategic feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I've played it FtF with Sal, I think that he had things organized in two counter trays. You could probably fit it in one with a minor loss of segregation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I use 2 counter trays, which GMT sells. To help with putting counters away, I put a small label (using masking tape) on the lid for each pocket of the tray. I then write what goes in that pocket. If I remember, I'll take a picture and post it.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the wonderful world of wargaming!
But if you think USE has a large number of counters, as the old saying goes, You ain't seen nuthin' yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and welcome to the wargaming community!

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svasta wrote:

Sal

Thank you!

I had to endure an all-day meeting in a room with wickedly painful office chairs and my lower back is killing me. I could NOT sit comfortably after an hour.

I was not looking for an excuse to stay in and learn the game this weekend, but I'll try to take advantage of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
svasta wrote:

Sal

Thank you!

I had to endure an all-day meeting in a room with wickedly painful office chairs and my lower back is killing me. I could NOT sit comfortably after an hour.

I was not looking for an excuse to stay in and learn the game this weekend, but I'll try to take advantage of it.

Well as a wargamer, I will tell you it's important to move around and stretch once in a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jhebert wrote:
svasta wrote:

Sal

Thank you!

Well as a wargamer, I will tell you it's important to move around and stretch once in a while!

And stay hydrated! A dose or two of liquid courage always helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The file clerk in me has a label maker that I got on sale; the refills cost more than what I paid for the machine itself.

Anyway, two trays, one for the armies and one for the tracking chits.

I have a hobby box that holds the Case Blue version of this, along with all the various versions of the rules that Sal has been kind enough to post. I'll get another one to hold the trays when the mounted mapboards arrive, because their new home will be the original box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, Joe! Thank you for taking time to lay it all out and photograph it. It really helps me to see a system at work.

Is either tray a deep one?

I was thinking of picking up a few of each. Is there difference enough to bother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to get the pieces into one single GMT tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
I was able to get the pieces into one single GMT tray.

Whaaa? I guess I could get the pieces into one single GMT tray, too, but then the question becomes: "How do I get the lid on?"

I am also considering asking GMT how I can buy just a USE box so I can have the mounted boards in one box and all the rest in the other box. Sal: You should have used your designer clout to insist on a nice big 3" box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph L
United States
South Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I use baggies instead of a tray can I fit the mounted boards in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Nice, Joe! Thank you for taking time to lay it all out and photograph it. It really helps me to see a system at work.

Is either tray a deep one?

I was thinking of picking up a few of each. Is there difference enough to bother?

Both are regular GMT trays.

I have some deep dish trays that I also use (depending on the game), and my guess is that they take up about 1 1/2 GMTs, thickness wise.

You could probably get all the USE pieces in one GMT tray, but I tend to err on the side of quick setup (but slow tear down). If you prefer to put the game away quickly, YMMV. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerMahler wrote:
I am also considering asking GMT how I can buy just a USE box so I can have the mounted boards in one box and all the rest in the other box.

I've been pestering GMT's nice office ladies about just this thing. No such luck. Think I'm going to do with a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008XPQF/?tag=article-bo...

I have several I use for ziplock games or offsizers like my Ace of Aces booklets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DerMahler wrote:
Sal: You should have used your designer clout to insist on a nice big 3" box!

For the Super Deluxe Edition, I'll demand a 6" box.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Joe Faust

How did you ever fit France, Vic, FNA, and Syria into 1 slot in your tray?

The number of counters for those 4 alone is 60, which is way too many for the standard-depth GMT tray slot (might fit 40-ish if I stand them on edge, but that's not entirely useful).

France = 42
VIC = 8
FNA = 6
Syria = 4
-----------

Either I am missing something obvious, or you must have some elsewhere in those trays...? Or you have the one of the super-rare bottomless trays I once heard tell of by dim firelight...

@Salvatore Vasta

Nudge... a reminder to post your storage approach to USE. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
@Joe Faust

How did you ever fit France, Vic, FNA, and Syria into 1 slot in your tray?

The number of counters for those 4 alone is 60, which is way too many for the GMT tray slot (might fit 40-ish if I stand them on edge, but that's not entirely useful).

Either I am missing something obvious, or you must have some elsewhere in those trays...?

No, they're all in one tray slot.

To be honest, I don't remember how I got them in. I never thought about it. Vic, FNA and Syr all have minimal counters as minors, and sixty sounds way high to me for all of them plus France, considering how WWII usually begins for them. Maybe it's 45+ years of packing counters into trays. Or maybe they are in a deep dish box, since I have a surfeit of them right now. Guess I'll have to check - you've got me curious now. I'll get back with you on this in a couple of days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how I store the counters in GMT's counter trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kennedy

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a tray that fits in GMT boxes:

21 trays

They're a regularly stocked item at Walmart in the crafts/bead supplies section.

The latch isn't the most secure, but if you keep it in the box, that isn't an issue.

Oh yeah... and it has hinges, and not that cheap scored plastic that breaks after a few uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Salvatore and Michael! Your pictures are great.

I'm curious, two of the images in the thread show additional dice, such as a d10. I'm still reading rules and sorting bits (the meds for my back sent me to loopyland, so I've cut back on them to retain some functionality. It slowed my progress significantly, because as much I actually enjoy reading rules I could not fight the drug's insistence on lowering my eyelids, then my head...)

--One nap later--

I have a stash of spare dice from the years. Should I add a couple d10's or d6's to the game for events to come? I know if they were required, the game would have included them. Curious what folks are using them for (tracking something?).

Greatfully,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No d10s are ever needed for Unconditional Surrender

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Sal and all the others who shared their images. Very useful for a new comer of the game.

By flatten the bottom insert, I have managed to put two GMT trays into the game box prefectly flushed. Now, only if I could fit the mounted maps in too...sigh, I need to figure out how to store them.

On the side note, the counters are kind of small to clip with my R2.5 clipper. Took me quite a while to finish without over doing it. I can’t wait to start learning this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Should I add a couple d10's or d6's to the game for events to come? I know if they were required, the game would have included them. Curious what folks are using them for (tracking something?).

I use one d10 to track movement points for the activated unit. The game has a counter track for that but I prefer the die. Otherwise the three usefully colored d6 that came with the game are enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.