Dr, Figoli
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Rulebook says that IV Technologies are unique and you don't share it, but in the cards they say that they give you the share bonus in the corresponding phase.

They give you the Sharing bonus or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of IV technologies, I think the 'sharing bonus' is more of an 'invention bonus' tied directly to how quickly you were able to invent the tech (since it counts down from round 1 to round 6). It's just CALLED the sharing bonus everywhere else so it doesn't make sense to change the nomenclature. If you want to put a finer point on it, you NEVER get the sharing bonus when a tech is SHARED (at the beginning of the confluence phase) you get it when you INVENT the technology....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the share bonus, but there's no corresponding tech card and thus nothing to share. In other words, you get the points, but nothing else happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
In the case of IV technologies, I think the 'sharing bonus' is more of an 'invention bonus' tied directly to how quickly you were able to invent the tech (since it counts down from round 1 to round 6). It's just CALLED the sharing bonus everywhere else so it doesn't make sense to change the nomenclature. If you want to put a finer point on it, you NEVER get the sharing bonus when a tech is SHARED (at the beginning of the confluence phase) you get it when you INVENT the technology....
I disagree. You get the base research team VPs when you fund the team and you move the tech into your play area. All during trade. In Confluence you get the Sharing bonus VPs at the same time as you announce everyone else gets the tech. That way everyone is doing something for that technology at the same time. It's less confusing.

Technically, it doesn't matter if you do it during trade or confluence, but this way there's no "forgetting" that a player already got the bonus or to do it later on during the game.

OP, there is no "tech" card to share for Level IV research teams. The base VPs and sharing bonus VPs are always collected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TauCeti Deichmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You do get the "sharing bonus" for era IV technologies, despite there being nothing to share. In the end, it's part of the game balance: sharing bonus helps mitigate the economic costs of inventing early.

I could have had players get all of the points (inventing and sharing) at the same time, when they invent the technology. I didn't because scoring for sharing makes players more likely to remember to do it. (Even when players aren't trying to break the rules, it's easier to remember to do something when you see a benefit for doing it). It also implies the correction for players who forget anyway and shared late: they'll get a reduced sharing bonus from the turn they actually remembered. I didn't include it in the rulebook as it's not a common error and I don't want to imply that forgetting to share is in any way legal in the rules (unlike being unable to pay a debt -- which is still a mistake to be avoided).

That said, scoring the sharing bonus immediately as you invent has no game effect (other than removing the mnemonic to remind you to share), so if your group never has problems with people forgetting to share, it's a fine thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr, Figoli
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everybody for the responses, especially the official clarification from the designer.

I'dont play the game yet, but it seems like is gonna be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game recently where the Yengii invented an Age IV technology. I decreed that they got the larger "sharing" bonus, since they don't actually get to share anything with an Age IV technology, and thus should not be punished with the lower bonus they normally get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decree whatever you wish within your demesne, but them ain't the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TauCeti Deichmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Yeah, I'd keep the Yengii with their lower sharing bonus. It's not just there to counter balance their ability to license the technology. The Yengii are one of the richer species, with a strong and flexible economy (especially if they start upgrading it), but they have a hard time converting that wealth into victory points. That's intentional: I need them to be rich so they can invent more often than normal and use their special rules, but I need them to score poorly so they don't overpower the game. The reduced sharing bonus for the era IV's keeps them victory-point-weak, although I'll admit that it does make them cry a bit.

Well... not literally. No tear ducts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.