Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew E
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Persephone requires:

Quote:
If possible, at least one Worker must move up this turn.

The general case of this question is whether a player may, by actions taken before their worker moves, subvert or otherwise work around this requirement.

For example, Charon's power states:

Quote:
Before your Worker moves, you may force a neighboring opponent Worker to the space directly on the other side of your Worker, if that space is unoccupied.

This presents two interesting and somewhat parallel cases:

1. I (Charon) have a worker who may move up into a single square, or I can flip my opponent (Perspehone)'s worker into that higher square, thus removing any possible upward moves and freeing my worker to move about the board as it pleases. It was possible for me to move up, but then before my move I acted to make it impossible. Is this a legal move?

2. One of my (Charon's) workers is able to move up and is not adjacent to any of Persephone's workers. The other of my workers is adjacent to one of Persephone's workers and has a clear path to flip that worker over. I choose to flip, and then must move the worker I flipped with (per Charon's rule). Thus, it was possible for me to move up, but through Charon's power I made it not possible.

The ruling my opponents and I came up with in the moment was that we could use Charon's power to nullify (temporarily) Persephone's power, mostly because that made for a more interesting game. But we are curious as to whether this interpretation makes sense and is consistent with other rulings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct interpretation is that not only can't you use Charon's power to avoid Persephone, you must use Charon's power to move up if necessary:

0_ 0C 1P

Charon must ferry Persephone to the left and then move up. This is very important for Hermes and Prometheus as it would be trivial for them to avoid Persephone's power.

Hero powers have a partial exemption; nothing can force you to use a heroic power. Example using Achilles (once, may build before moving):

* Achilles doesn't have to use his power to make a place where he can move up (very important if he plays first!)
* Achilles can't use his power to prevent himself from moving up
* If Achilles couldn't move up but then decides to use his power, he must place a block so that he can move up (if possible)

The third point suggests that I have some annoying bugs to fix in the AI implementation.

These clarifications also apply to Adonis. Rest assured, there won't be any future powers that use 'if possible' this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Thanks! That's a good point about Hermes and Prometheus -- we hadn't considered that set of interactions, but you're absolutely right.

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to being able to play the Santorini AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.