Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does this game work well in two players? Does it remain valid for two-player challenges? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paino75 wrote:
Does this game work well in two players? Does it remain valid for two-player challenges? Thank you.

I've not played it at 2-players, but I can't imagine the auctions would be any fun at all with any less than 3. Not to say it won't work, but I'd advise trying to find a third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In fact because of the presence of an auction phase I wondered whether it worked well in two players. Anyone who tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moody
United States
Grand Rapids
US-MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could alleviate some of the impact on auctions with a house rule allowing unlimited bidding & using the "Last Bid" card differently.

Allowing multiple bids would give it a poker-like dynamic of "how much is it really worth to you"?

Under the given rules the "Last Bid" card lets you bid one more time (a 2nd time) once per game. With unlimited bidding, I'd say you play it to immediately *stop* bidding after you place a bid - giving you the property at whatever is the current price. I think this would encourage aggressive bidding, or possibly give you a bargain at a critical point.

I'm going to try this and report on the effects.

P.S. I've played exactly 1 game of Klondike Rush and loved it. We didn't read the rules carefully and allowed unlimited bidding; we never actually used the "Last Bid" card. I liked the dynamic and it's what gave me the idea to try it as a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game, but according to Rahdo's Runthrough, the 2-player game is different in the following ways:

* Active player reveals two cards instead of one

* Bidding is not one-time; you can go back and forth as much as you want (the Last Bid card is thus pointless)

* Bids must be raised by at least $2, instead of $1

Whether this works well, I can't say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Nash
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with two players and it has been very competitive with little redundancy and plenty of various strategies. Ryan did a great job of building this game with a two player option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sites
United States
Lake Stevens
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgabbert wrote:
I don't have the game, but according to Rahdo's Runthrough, the 2-player game is different in the following ways:

* Active player reveals two cards instead of one

* Bidding is not one-time; you can go back and forth as much as you want (the Last Bid card is thus pointless)

* Bids must be raised by at least $2, instead of $1

Whether this works well, I can't say.

It works. Since money is both how you score VP and how you acquire new cards, the tension of being able to get into bidding wars for a perfect set of cards is there.

Money, at times, can also be very tight in this game, so overbidding could lead to a complete collapse of your player economy, forcing you to use your Profit card early. I haven't played anything other than 2 players, but I feel like since you go up in increments of two and have an unlimited number of bids that there is a greater chance of doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first two player game of this one last night. I really enjoyed the way the auction worked with the requirement of always bidding two more than the other player and having two cards out for the bid. You really have to weigh if those cards/mines/jobs are worth the price and place your bet well enough to make it not worth it for the other player.

I am excited to try this at higher player counts to see how different it plays with the standard auction rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Never Bored Gaming
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paino75 wrote:

I actually enjoy the game better with 2 than with 3 or 4. -Wes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.