Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Ko'd? Two battle losses? Pretty damn bleak right? Never give up!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for the brevity, and lack of creativity in this report I am lacking time, I just wanted to give some people HOPE when all looks lost!

I choose to go up against Mulmesh with Picket and Boomer, not a bad combo, I was going to go with Patches instead of Picket, but Picket proved a worthy stand-in before the end...

So days 1 - 4 will fairly non-eventful, some training, a couple of encounters, nothing out of the norm here. Then it hit the fan.

Day 5 - We got the encounter with the hooded cloaks (can't recall the name), things started off good I thought "we got this", then I realized wait a minute, there was just no way to do enough damage, I think I only had the Frag at that point or maybe 1 extra, and attack dice were too few for Boom Boom. So, we came up short (you have to clear every health stack [figure] to win) and lost out on Progress, training and more

Day 6 - This was even worse, 12 points of Baddies with two 5's, again I apologize for my memory and lack of detail here, but suffice to say we got overwhelmed, and Ko'd, we lost it all, and gained nothing AGAIN.

----

At this point, I ALMOST packed it up, to try my luck another day instead, I had read the reports of the negative snowball, and figured I only had a snowball's chance in hell why waste time in futility I'll just start fresh, lick my wounds and learn from my mistakes.

Ah f--- it, I love a challenge, might as well try one more

Day 7 - 14 Baddie points. SON OF A - Encounter - Add a 20 point Baddie to the BQ, 34 Baddie points now....LOL WTF? Could I be any luckier here? Are Josh and Adam sadistic torturers who enjoy watching us squirm and bleed out on the Mat?

Again I almost packed it up, but thought ah hell I might as well go down swinging should be comical anyway, and, swing we did! I could hardly believe my eyes, when one baddie fell, then another, then I took out the 20 pointer, and then it was over! WOOOOOT! Wow, I was shocked, and even more shocked when I looked at the rewards, TWO progress points, we made it!!!!! We also got 3 training points IIRC, and a loot each. Nice.

We now had all 6 progress needed just like that, into the final battle we went.

Day 8 - Mulmesh the Dirty (Dog). 16 Baddie points, + 1 from Tyrant Encounter earlier. Things started out fairly smooth, but Boomer was dying the death of a thousand cuts from Poison 1, a ranged baddie that was otherwise harmless on the other side of the Mat. Also, it seemed I could just not get off a good grenade throw, and you have to time in concert with other damage or the Dog will just retreat and come back at full strength.

Picket was doing his Picket thing not far away, captain of the Gearlocks, and the Field, he did some slicing and dicing and hardly lost a beat, or HP.

Then a second Flying Goblin Howler came on, damn, this is going to finish Boomer off, then we even lost a lot of ground on the Initiative meter eegads, I have to get that Frag off.... There was a questionable ruling on whether I could throw it at Mulmesh by not being adjacent, a Vet of these forums gave me the greenlight, and it was off, BOOOOOOOOOOM Beeeatch! That mangled him good, and Picket was there just waiting to finish the job! So much for him and his howlers, ba-bye

Sidenote - While the game can be a little unforgiving, even swingy, especially with the Initiative meter, overall there is still a decent amount of control, and LOTS of options, which can help mitigate certain situations. Even when those things don't pan out though, like here where I lost 2 rounds in a row, don't give up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Snyder
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Great report. I agree that you should never give up, OR get cocky!!! This game keeps you on your toes. My friend and I were playing 2 player a couple of weekends ago, and we had the opposite experience where we started out amazing! Then we got cocky around day 5... a couple of bad, well difficult, encounters later, and we had been humbled.

I don't remember the specifics, but we got an encounter that didn't count for progress points, so we were losing day light. We also got the encounter that you can't use skill dice, which was a lot of my kit as Nugget, and we ended up against a bunch of baddies with hardy and break. Thank you back up plans! We played until the end though and ended up winning, but it was tough! and exciting! and a fantastic experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine how you managed to win that day 7 encounter, but congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys

nobody82b wrote:
I can't imagine how you managed to win that day 7 encounter, but congratulations!

I wish I had a better memory, honestly if I had any inclination I might actually pull it off I think I would have paid better attention too

I do remember that the 20 pointer, was not that threatening, he did have 9 HP though. I took down two of the 5's first, and then pretty sure I threw the frag at the 20pt, then Picket smelled fresh blood and moved in for the kill. He fell very surprisingly easy reslly, then the remainders were easy prey after that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.