Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya'll!
So I have to ask you: Is 7 Wonders right for me? I'll give you some info:
I have experience with MTG drafting, I own both Fairy Tale and Sushi Go, both card drafting games. I've heard 7 Wonders is something along those lines but with a few extra things added, what are those extra things and are they hard to get used to? I'm not exactly stupid but sometimes I just don't grasp certain games at certain times.
So is it a light-medium card drafting game like I keep thinking it is? Or is there some other way to pitch the game to me? I apologize if this post makes no sense or makes you facepalm, haha...whistle I just want to know a tiny bit more from the people who play on a regular basis instead of take a reviewer's word for it. Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the main question is your tolerance for complexity and symbols. If you like Sushi Go and Magic you'll like the mechanics, but the symbols can be a real turn off. MtG is pretty complex IIRC (I've never played) so I think you'll like it, but I mean, it's always hit or miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main things of the game are pretty much drafting: pick a card play it, pass the rest to the next player. Rinse and repeat

How to pay for cards
Using resources, chaining, coins, or some combo of them.

And maximizing your score

Most of the symbols are benign, like a plank of lumber is of course wood. You have arrows that point in several directions. Even with text, you're going to need an explanation anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you’ll find this helpful...My daughters (12 and 10) play it with us often. They’ve got the base game symbols memorized but we keep a cheat-sheet on the table for Cities/Leaders. And my 12 year old has beaten me the past few times...so they picked up on it well, I’d say.

We also play Sushi Go Party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above. 7 Wonders requires a little work up front, but once you get used to it the game play is smooth, quick, and very enjoyable. We also keep the reference sheets handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will have a full grasp of the rules and iconography of 7 Wonders after a single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqlyn Kennelly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How many players do you usually have?
I enjoyed 7 wonders most with more people, like 4-7 people. It is playable with less, and they have a workaround to play with two people, but i have enjoyed 7 wonders Duel, best for just two players.
its a good game. may take a play or two to get used to it.
\
maybe try it out with an experienced player once or twice to see if its right for you?
fairly simple though overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll ask around my game store if anyone can help me out but otherwise I could be on my own in terms of learning it. Generally if I show an interest in some game I usually am the one teaching it, from my experience. Again I'll have to ask around--in fact I'm going there for an MTG thing tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
datpusheen wrote:
I'll ask around my game store if anyone can help me out but otherwise I could be on my own in terms of learning it.

There is a good tutorial for 7 Wonders by Watch It Played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Wfdn5Es8U
This is how I learned to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
I think you will have a full grasp of the rules and iconography of 7 Wonders after a single game.

I love this game, but I find so many people in my group (pretty casual group) start to glaze over when I start showing the iconography of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oogarasu wrote:
dklx3 wrote:

I love this game, but I find so many people in my group (pretty casual group) start to glaze over when I start showing the iconography of this game.

The icons in this game cause glazing!? I can see that for something like Race For The Galaxy, but only half of them should cause problems. Many of them represent what they're supposed to (e.g. the resources), while many of the rest should be "pictoral enough" (e.g. 1 coin per brown card you, and each neighbor has).

Any chance it's the overall complexity of the game that's more so the culprit? Managing resources and paying for stuff can be quite a radical thing for non gamers, or those who've otherwise never played such a type of game before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.