Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Slight predictive text error there, but the Star Babes were OK. They came down, took a look around and took off again.

Camden looks an evenly-matched pitched battle except for one or rather two factors, which are the deadly Highlanders, balanced not at all by some defective American lights. Again our game was hampered in homogeneity by the American central artillery running off in the opening cannonade. Its eastern colleague retired.

Rather like descending paratroops, it is best to drive into a weak force immediately and another Bayonet Charge did this. Seeing off the easternmost unsupported Militia began the rolling-up of the line. The British regulars doing this however were on their own and vulnerable, so they suffered the usual fate of units in this position. As in other games, the battle then shifted to first the British left zone and then the right. The Americans came forward on the left, somewhat masking their artillery, but were easily stopped by the Provincials and friends acting as defenders. The western Highlander moved up under Lord Rawdon to extinguish their attacking potential, and this was achieved at the cost of the Scots. Over on the right the fight devolved to a light and a regular under Webster and a light commanded by Porterfield and the cavalry. The British light did some damage from the woods and it was over. The central British artillery finally fired on a surviving Militia to win, with Tarleton as usual taking no part.

The other way to win, clearly, is to shoot them at two hexes, as Militia are at one die at any range. This is a very hard scenario for the Americans. Pulling back the vulnerable Militia takes them out of the battle, and retiring the eastern artillery is questionable. Gates's army needs to do some reordering before commencing hostilities, but they are not able to do so. It would seem to have any chance at all, they need the right card at the beginning, for when the British advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Very interesting. When I first saw the thread title, I thought you were making some comment about the officers, who are shown on the maps by stars!

I often try not to accept the initial start positions of Mr. Borg's scenarios, by legally reshuffling my side's units during the first few turns, rather than rushing into battle. But many seem to find it hard to be that patient. And of course some times you just don't get the chance!

Some day perhaps I'll try free set ups for both sides, although I'd have to think about how that would work. While his set ups are probably balanced between what we know historically and making it a good game, one always wonders if one could do better had he the freedom to deploy as he wished. Certainly that is especially tempting for scenarios where several plays produce the same results each time.

I usually keep my own game logs for each C&C game now (I wish I'd done it for Ancients), with indications of how much each favors one side or the other in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff and I can't wait to get this back to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.