9 Posts

Flick 'em Up!: Dead of Winter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Survivor orientation after moving as last action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandros Syriopoulos
msg tools
mbmb
In page 7, regarding character orientation after moving as the player's last action (Case B of the Move section) the rules state that : " If moving is the player's last action, the survivor must be oriented in the direction of the movement disc's orientation line."

Since the orientation line does not have an arrow head to indicate direction, facing the survivor along the direction line sticker on the movement disc can be done in 2 ways resulting in the survivor facing in 2 opposite directions 180 degrees apart. One could argue that the survivor must face in the direction of the movement but in the case the movement disc got rotated during movement this house ruling would not solve the problem. Another housing ruling would be to let the player choose between the 2 opposite directions but that seems to make things a bit too easy for the player.

I guess a simple remedy to this would be to remove the direction sticker off the movement disc and then draw a line across the center with an arrowhead to denote where the survivor is facing after moving in the case described above.

Any thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Holley
msg tools
I agree this is confusing. The disk needs an arrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Syriopoulos
msg tools
mbmb
My solution to this ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Abinrml wrote:
In page 7, regarding character orientation after moving as the player's last action (Case B of the Move section) the rules state that : " If moving is the player's last action, the survivor must be oriented in the direction of the movement disc's orientation line."

Since the orientation line does not have an arrow head to indicate direction, facing the survivor along the direction line sticker on the movement disc can be done in 2 ways resulting in the survivor facing in 2 opposite directions 180 degrees apart. One could argue that the survivor must face in the direction of the movement but in the case the movement disc got rotated during movement this house ruling would not solve the problem. Another housing ruling would be to let the player choose between the 2 opposite directions but that seems to make things a bit too easy for the player.

I guess a simple remedy to this would be to remove the direction sticker off the movement disc and then draw a line across the center with an arrowhead to denote where the survivor is facing after moving in the case described above.

Any thoughts on this?

We faced the direction in which the survivor was moving as best we can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Syriopoulos
msg tools
mbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
Abinrml wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

We faced the direction in which the survivor was moving as best we can.

I am still curious about what you did when the disc got rotated during movement.

Did you let the player decide orientation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heller
United States
Riverview
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add a question to this:

Say you're facing forward at the end the round and there is a zombie right behind you at the start of the next round (zombie rush, etc).

Would you have to spend a movement action just to turn around to shoot him or could you just assume you've turned around (without spending an action), use your weapon, and then move if you desire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really sure what the best way to play character orientation and shooting angles.

The cleanest rule is free character orientation (face them any direction that you want at the end of their movement action) and also free shooting direction, shoot in any direction you want (shooting from left side or right side of character give you 360%)

If your movement disc turns in an unlucky direction, that adds randomness to the game but I'm not sure it adds any extra tactics.

I'm just wondering what the down side is to having free character orientation and free shooting direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobagabe wrote:
I'm not really sure what the best way to play character orientation and shooting angles.

The cleanest rule is free character orientation (face them any direction that you want at the end of their movement action) and also free shooting direction, shoot in any direction you want (shooting from left side or right side of character give you 360%)

If your movement disc turns in an unlucky direction, that adds randomness to the game but I'm not sure it adds any extra tactics.

I'm just wondering what the down side is to having free character orientation and free shooting direction.

So after watching a couple videos I think the purpose of the orientation line on the movement disk is to stop players from gaming the system by always having their character turn sideways (so that attacking zombies will have a harder time hitting and knocking down their character).

If you finish a characters last action with a movement, its orientation won't be perfectly under your control. So, you wont be able to game the system.

I am also under the opinion that you can pretty much shoot 360%, so orientation doesn't really matter for shooting. I could be wrong on this part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Syriopoulos
msg tools
mbmb
Bobagabe wrote:
Bobagabe wrote:

So after watching a couple videos I think the purpose of the orientation line on the movement disk is to stop players from gaming the system by always having their character turn sideways (so that attacking zombies will have a harder time hitting and knocking down their character).

If you finish a characters last action with a movement, its orientation won't be perfectly under your control. So, you wont be able to game the system.

I am also under the opinion that you can pretty much shoot 360%, so orientation doesn't really matter for shooting. I could be wrong on this part.

I think that the shooting orientation issue has been answered (among other things) by the developper in another thread here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27027315#27027315
(180 degrees arc in the way you face , +-90 degrees from either hand at 1 bullet distance from character) and it makes sense thematically i.e. you cannot shoot behind your back given that you cannot turn as a free action.

I also believe that shooting in a 360deg arc really favors the survivors making the game too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.