Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've searched around a bit, but haven't found a specific thread that addresses this question. What makes a game good value for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert D

Delaware
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyment of the game is first and foremost. I will gladly pay more for a game that I love.

After that:

- competent quality
- art quality (is it custom pleasing art or does it look like clip art)
- how many player can play. The more players, the more I value the game
- minis over stand ups if relevant

-Left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To start the ball rolling, I have a game, Mint Works, that cost me $12US delivered from Kickstarter from which I reckon I've personally had 20 hours plus of play, let alone my partner and others I've played the game with. To me that's staggering value. Including everyone, I reckon the value return is around $0.25/hr so far.

I've also got a better return that $0.10/hr from Castles Of Burgundy over time.

Neither of these games are much to look at or have a "collectable" or limited factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in sales, and this is a question I consider ALL THE TIME. Value doesn't always mean cost, right? For me, value comes in how much fun I am going to have playing with my friends. That is priceless. If I buy a $100 game and play it several times with three to four of my friends, I think that is a great value. I could also buy a $20 game and hate it...the opposite of value just occurred. Interested to see other people's thoughts. Great question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time I have Caverna, that cost aroud $130AUS here, and my partner told me she would carve my eyes out with a spoon if I ever tried to bring that to the table again. NOT VALUE!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
napsyd wrote:
At the same time I have Caverna, that cost aroud $130AUS here, and my partner told me she would carve my eyes out with a spoon if I ever tried to bring that to the table again. NOT VALUE!!!!

Haha yeah for me too, that game destroyed my wallet and never got the value out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to me its about fun and replayability. Yet I'm still a sucker for better parts, rarity and exclusivity. I'll always go the deluxe version of something if available over the standard.

I guess one is a fiscal value and the other is more an appreciation of design and beauty. Both to me are value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's a highly subjective and completely arbitrary cost:enjoyment factor, with enjoyment comprised of several variables including but not limited to replayability, component quality, artistic quality, and how much my husband and friends like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, there is no equation to determine a game's value. When I buy a game, a lot depends on the scale and beauty of the game compared to the price, factoring in how desireable the game is to me personally and my potential opponents.

After purchase, I hope that the game's value will continue to increase with every play. So value also includes past enjoyment and continued anticipated enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played the base game of T.I.M.E Stories only once. I probably will not play it again. We had a great experience. 4 wonderful hours with 4 players. Great value.

I guess I compare with going to a movie or a concert except that I actually enjoy a good game more than a good movie or concert. I guess it is because in a game, I participate in the activity and, for me,that usually wins out over being just a passive consumer of something.

Bad games do not have much value for me. No matter how cheap they are Munchkin and Fluxx are not good value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Only one criterion for me: Do I still enjoy playing it solo after many, many plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I REALLY like a game, I'm willing to pay good money for it. I like a high quality board with nice graphics, and wooden components.

I got blasted here on BGG for commenting on the poor component quality of Glenmore. But, I think those components are cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
My base benchmark is that if I took more time working to earn the money to buy the game than I actually spend enjoying the game then the game has poor value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain1957 wrote:
If I REALLY like a game, I'm willing to pay good money for it. I like a high quality board with nice graphics, and wooden components.

I got blasted here on BGG for commenting on the poor component quality of Glenmore. But, I think those components are cheap.

That's funny. Glen more has been an example of great value for me. I paid 35 Canadian, played it many times, it's my favourite game, and the game length is also a great value. I have no issue with your opinion on the components but I don't find it matters that much, to me. I would probably by a deluxe edition though, if one was available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Captain1957 wrote:

That's funny. Glen more has been an example of great value for me. I paid 35 Canadian, played it many times, it's my favourite game, and the game length is also a great value. I have no issue with your opinion on the components but I don't find it matters that much, to me. I would probably by a deluxe edition though, if one was available.

I feel the same way about Castles of Burgundy. Deluxe edition would be a no brainer for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
How many days, weeks or months do I spend thinking about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
napsyd wrote:
I've searched around a bit, but haven't found a specific thread that addresses this question. What makes a game good value for you?

For a game player and peddler, like me, it's about the amount of fun you have playing it. I like to get one good session for every $5 paid for a game, less its residual value (what I can sell it for once I can't or don't want to get it to table any more).

I also run board game conventions, and demand that my library games (at least those I don't play) get played by someone at my cons at least once a year, or they get sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Daefaroth wrote:
My base benchmark is that if I took more time working to earn the money to buy the game than I actually spend enjoying the game then the game has poor value.

That seems a low benchmark. I can't think of one game I've bought that I spent less time playing than I spent earning the money to purchase it. But whether that playing time was truly enjoyable is the key question.

If I know I will really enjoy a game, then I'm willing pay for it if I can afford it. The problem with a new game is that often I haven't played it - is the price too high to risk not enjoying it?

Plus, I already have what I consider an oversized collection of games I really enjoy (in most cases), so even at a very cheap price, the question is do I really need to buy that game? As I get older I value more and more limiting clutter in my life and having less things, so I ask myself will this new game truly bring me joy that I don't already have in my life? 99.9% of the time the answer is no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
napsyd wrote:

Value is simple for me. If I get enjoyment for the amount of money I spent, the game provides value.

That enjoyment can be provided in so man different ways from a game, that it's hard to list in a comprehensive list. Obviously though it's quite subjective and I appreciate what provides value to me won't necessarily to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, value can mean:

Hours of play (and time it spends playing on the mind).
Quality.
Artistic value.
Scarcity or exclusivity.
Pure enjoyment factor in one off use scenarios.
Fitting a certain criteria (e.g. a great solo game or a great multi player game).

Value can mean substantially different things to different people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of responses here about replay and enjoyment which I 100% understand.

I have a few games that just sit on my shelf that I value more than some of those; my copies of Civilization and Advanced Civilization for one example. For me they show my dedication to the hobby even though I may rarely (and for many never) get them to a table. I know a lot of people think that type of thinking is crazy - but it goes to show that the concept of value is very subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:
There are a lot of responses here about replay and enjoyment which I 100% understand.

I have a few games that just sit on my shelf that I value more than some of those; my copies of Civilization and Advanced Civilization for one example. For me they show my dedication to the hobby even though I may rarely (and for many never) get them to a table. I know a lot of people think that type of thinking is crazy - but it goes to show that the concept of value is very subjective.

That's what I love about this place. I'd never heard of Civilization and now I really want to play it!

I take it they are really rare now Ocean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyment is the biggest factor for me. I want it to be a game that I enjoy playing and that others enjoy playing. There is nothing worse than having a game you love that no one will play.

Component quality also factors in. I want the quality to justify the price paid. And, I'd rather pay a more for better quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Graham
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Enjoyment is the biggest factor for me. I want it to be a game that I enjoy playing and that others enjoy playing. There is nothing worse than having a game you love that no one will play.

Component quality also factors in. I want the quality to justify the price paid. And, I'd rather pay a more for better quality.

If you can't get it to the table it is hard to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
napsyd wrote:
At the same time I have Caverna, that cost around $130AUS here, and my partner told me she would carve my eyes out with a spoon if I ever tried to bring that to the table again. NOT VALUE!!!!

Wait, so she won't even let you play the game? I mean, that would be the best way to make it worth that value, is to actually play the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.