Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
So Kim Jong Un is taunting the hell out of Trump after the most recent round of sanctions.

I presume Kim is just blustring, but he just called the maniac in chief a "dotard". God help us all if Trump figures out what that means.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/09...

Edit: What's amazing is that NK clearly perceives Trumps bluster as weakness rather than as strength. It's like his whole life is a lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dotard - great word! I'll have to start using it.

Thank you North Korea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
It's like his whole life is a lie.

Whose? Trump's or Kim's?

Seriously, one has to wonder how much more rope the Chinese will allow Kim before he suffers some sort of "accident" or mysterious "health" crisis. There are undoubtedly hundreds of North Koreans who'd be happy to put a bullet in the back of Kim's head if they were quietly assured that it wouldn't displease China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says a lot when Kim Jong Un looks like the better one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
won't someone please teach young Kim to call Donald a 'cuck'! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild and crazy theory:

The Chinese are tolerating this because they want to see how we would shoot down an ICBM so they can defeat our defenses. While China has to publically tut-tut Kim, they want him to keep jerking our chain so we'll start shooting down NK missiles. Of course, no rational President would fall for this....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Wild and crazy theory:
X
The Chinese are tolerating this because they want to see how we would shoot down an ICBM so they can defeat our defenses. While China has to publically tut-tut Kim, they want him to keep jerking our chain so we'll start shooting down NK missiles. Of course, no rational President would fall for this....

Further to your theory, it probably helps China in its many negotiations with regional partners. NK is unpredictable but we (China) have the best chance of controlling him. Or statements to that effect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Wild and crazy theory:

possible.

My mate was in the military of a country bordering Russia. He said Russian fighters would often stray into their airspace just to record the reaction of his country's military technology.

So they set up fake radar responses and lots of other stuff to mislead them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
mb
Ugh. This is awful.

I don't think NK will take a unilateral step that they think will trigger a military reaction, but as the rhetoric increases, the tensions mean that something going bad and snapping increase.

Months ago some European leaders were testing the waters about a multilateral Iran-style nuclear deal with NK, seeing that the Iranian deal has worked very very well.

IMO, relaxing mutual distrust with NK is the only external intervention that can favour internal political reforms there. We've been in a fast and dangerous escalation in the opposite direction for months now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
SPIGuy wrote:
[Seriously, one has to wonder how much more rope the Chinese will allow Kim before he suffers some sort of "accident" or mysterious "health" crisis. There are undoubtedly hundreds of North Koreans who'd be happy to put a bullet in the back of Kim's head if they were quietly assured that it wouldn't displease China.

??

Do you think China favours the current North Korean leadership over internal opposition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
Dotard - great word! I'll have to start using it.

Thank you North Korea.

"Gibbets and crows? Dotard!..." - Some Wizard Dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
viclineal wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
[Seriously, one has to wonder how much more rope the Chinese will allow Kim before he suffers some sort of "accident" or mysterious "health" crisis. There are undoubtedly hundreds of North Koreans who'd be happy to put a bullet in the back of Kim's head if they were quietly assured that it wouldn't displease China.

??

Do you think China favours the current North Korean leadership over internal opposition?

I think China favors the status quo and has no use whatsoever for internal opposition. Nonetheless, this could be moving from a situation where North Korea is a Chinese cat's paw to one where North Korea is the tail wagging the dog. If Kim goes too far, he'll be quickly removed and replaced by someone who is just as beholden to China but less unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Isn't it sad that we never get around to giving a damn about the North Korean people? The stuck-in-time society, the forced obeisance, the possibility of disappearing at a moment's notice, the economic deprivations along with the actual physical deprivations. People are always so consumed with "will that madman launch the nukes or won't he?!" that we barely remember there are 25 million people living under the yoke of a deadly & deranged tyrant every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Isn't it sad that we never get around to giving a damn about the North Korean people? The stuck-in-time society, the forced obeisance, the possibility of disappearing at a moment's notice, the economic deprivations along with the actual physical deprivations. People are always so consumed with "will that madman launch the nukes or won't he?!" that we barely remember there are 25 million people living under the yoke of a deadly & deranged tyrant every day.

Actually, the US has 326 million.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:

I think China favors the status quo and has no use whatsoever for internal opposition. Nonetheless, this could be moving from a situation where North Korea is a Chinese cat's paw to one where North Korea is the tail wagging the dog. If Kim goes too far, he'll be quickly removed and replaced by someone who is just as beholden to China but less unbalanced.

We've been there for a while. China isn't blinkered, they know how sub-optimal the Kim regime is; in a perfect world for Beijing, the NK regime would probably NOT be pursuing nukes. But their primary desire is for stability in North Korea - and to prevent Korea from becoming a unified country containing American troops, so keeping NK stable is it.

Chinese-sponsored regime change in NK would be pretty self-defeating (I'm sure they've at least done planning on it, because planning is just one of those things major powers do routinely, even for things they never really think they will do). So like it or not, they're stuck with the Kim Dynasty for now, mostly for lack of better alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
wifwendell wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

We've been there for a while. China isn't blinkered, they know how sub-optimal the Kim regime is; in a perfect world for Beijing, the NK regime would probably NOT be pursuing nukes. But their primary desire is for stability in North Korea - and to prevent Korea from becoming a unified country containing American troops, so keeping NK stable is it.

Chinese-sponsored regime change in NK would be pretty self-defeating (I'm sure they've at least done planning on it, because planning is just one of those things major powers do routinely, even for things they never really think they will do). So like it or not, they're stuck with the Kim Dynasty for now, mostly for lack of better alternatives.

I think a regime change in Chinese terms would be the ideal scenario for China. If China could be sure that their concerns about North Korea wouldn't materialise, they'd welcome a better alternative (even a different political direction inside the current regime). Sustaining North Korea as it is also has political and diplomatic costs for China.

In turn, that's a strong motivation for Kim Jong Un to make sure there isn't any internal alternative, and that any regime change would bring instability and unpredictability. "It's me or chaos" is the best card he can play towards China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
It says a lot when Kim Jong Un looks like the better one.

Really? Certainly Mistah Trump is a mindless blowhard, but I haven't seen the People's Education Centers or the Re-Education Seminars that are part of the burden the North Korean people bear. And in the US, people ar too fat. In NK, people are starving.

But yeah, you're right -- Kim is so much better.

Inanity ensues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Future history books:

WW1 started when an archduke was assassinated
WW2 started when Germany invaded Poland
WW3 started when somebody sent an insulting tweet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Enough about america now what about North Korea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
None of this is "good". I'm trying to teach my kids to think, before acting out of anger: "what good will come of this." And even from a selfish standpoint: "what good for ME can come of this."

Our President matching this isolated, insulated Man-Who-Would-Be-King despot insult for insult can in no way result in anything good. It's embarrassing at best, truly dangerous at worst.

Until now, I've welcomed his tweets because they have a direct correlation to damage done to himself and the GOP...and I have come to think that their own foot-shooting is the best hope I have as an independent for some sanity to return to government. But this has gotten into danger territory. He needs to STOP, NOW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
viclineal wrote:

I think a regime change in Chinese terms would be the ideal scenario for China.

Of course - if a stable, anti-American, pro-Chinese non-nuclear government just popped in Pyongyang with control of the entirety of North Korea, Beijing (and others) would be delighted.

But... the hard thing is making sure that regime change follows the path you (the regime changer) wants it to follow. As we've seen from history recent and old, that's far from a guarantee. Overt Chinese meddling in NK could also revive Korean resentment of the Chinese, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that people are overestimating China's desire for a non-nuclear NK. Conventionaly armed NK loses a ton of value as a boogeyman and a distraction for China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

I haven't forgotten the 25 million North Koreans. I don't much want to see them "totally destroyed" by Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Ad hominem foreign policy, great... just fucking great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's quaint how China assumes that North Korea will never ever be a nuclear threat to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.