Subject: First play in a long time, want to make sure I'm doing it right rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few rules questions to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

Spells, Prayers, and Tactics remain in your hand until you play them, at which point they are attached to the character (unless they say to discard), correct?

Cryptmaster cards are discarded when played, correct?

All cards in hand and on characters, including treasure and cryptmaster cards, count towards the 10-card hand limit, correct?

The hand limit only matters when you want to take the action to draw two cards in the inn, but not at other times, correct?

There was a spell card that allowed for a party magic roll and it did damage against each enemy, evenly distributed. If there is only one enemy (usually the case) this seems very powerful.

I also have questions on four cards I actually kept out:

Desertion (tactic): "Turn: Each player must choose one character in their party and move it to the end. Cards attached to those characters must be discarded or banked. Discard this card." Was that a typo and it meant to say "inn" instead of "end"? If not, what does this mean?

Rubric (monster): I ended up with him in my party. He has a very powerful attack with 10 red dice, but only one HP. That seems really powerful as long as he doesn't die due to his 1 HP. But what I don't know is how to handle his text. The rulebook says to switch the words "character" and "monster" but nothing about "Raiding Party". The Rubric's text says: "Rubric acts after the Raiding Party acts each turn. Each Combat Round, as a single Combat Action, Rubric makes one attack against each Character in the Raiding Party." -- how does this work when he is *in* the raiding party?

Hold Monster (prayer): "React: After a Monster announces its action (including attacking), the action is cancelled and the Monster may not act this round. This counts as the caster's action for this Combat Round." -- I don't understand the end part. If the monster goes first, and then I cancel his action, but then used my action, doesn't that mean the round is over and the monster gets to attack again? So it didn't really change anything, just ended the round early. Or can another of my characters take an action after the monster's action was canceled?

Composite Bow: adds 4 Skill dice, "React: Before a combat round, roll skill. Inflict a number of wounds equal to your total successes on one opponent." -- Does this really trigger every single round? It seems pretty powerful as it could often kill an enemy before combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I have a few rules questions to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

Spells, Prayers, and Tactics remain in your hand until you play them, at which point they are attached to the character (unless they say to discard), correct?

Cryptmaster cards are discarded when played, correct?

All cards in hand and on characters, including treasure and cryptmaster cards, count towards the 10-card hand limit, correct?

The hand limit only matters when you want to take the action to draw two cards in the inn, but not at other times, correct?

There was a spell card that allowed for a party magic roll and it did damage against each enemy, evenly distributed. If there is only one enemy (usually the case) this seems very powerful.

I also have questions on four cards I actually kept out:

Desertion (tactic): "Turn: Each player must choose one character in their party and move it to the end. Cards attached to those characters must be discarded or banked. Discard this card." Was that a typo and it meant to say "inn" instead of "end"? If not, what does this mean?

Rubric (monster): I ended up with him in my party. He has a very powerful attack with 10 red dice, but only one HP. That seems really powerful as long as he doesn't die due to his 1 HP. But what I don't know is how to handle his text. The rulebook says to switch the words "character" and "monster" but nothing about "Raiding Party". The Rubric's text says: "Rubric acts after the Raiding Party acts each turn. Each Combat Round, as a single Combat Action, Rubric makes one attack against each Character in the Raiding Party." -- how does this work when he is *in* the raiding party?

Hold Monster (prayer): "React: After a Monster announces its action (including attacking), the action is cancelled and the Monster may not act this round. This counts as the caster's action for this Combat Round." -- I don't understand the end part. If the monster goes first, and then I cancel his action, but then used my action, doesn't that mean the round is over and the monster gets to attack again? So it didn't really change anything, just ended the round early. Or can another of my characters take an action after the monster's action was canceled?

Composite Bow: adds 4 Skill dice, "React: Before a combat round, roll skill. Inflict a number of wounds equal to your total successes on one opponent." -- Does this really trigger every single round? It seems pretty powerful as it could often kill an enemy before combat.

It's been a while for me, but here's what I remember:

1.) Yes, but even if they are discarded you first attach them to a character (so if you have no characters to attach them to, they can't be played.

2.)Yes

3.) Yes, but one piece of equipment per fighter does not count against this limit.

4.) Correct, other effects or abilities that allow you to draw cards can still be used.

5.) True, but you could run into a trap that kills your entire party so take the OP actions while you can...

6.) I believe it is a typo and it should say the "inn".

7.) This is a situation where every scenario can't be explained in the rules. I would exchange the term "Raiding Party" with the word "Monsters" as I believe that is within the spirit of what the rules intended. If the table is not content with that then ignore the ability and be happy with your 10 red dice...

8.) It only counts as the "caster's" (character) action, not the whole party. If the "caster" is the last character in the battle, then yes, this prayer is quite useless...

9.) No, for 2 reasons. First you may only use each ability (including reactions) once per turn, secondly, it says "before a combat round" not each combat round. So you pick which round (likely the first) to react to. Similarly, you can only use each spell and prayer once per turn as well, so be sure your not casting the same OP spell each round of combat...

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That helps a bunch; thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible I'm wrong here, but it is my understanding that treasures do NOT count towards the ten card hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
It's possible I'm wrong here, but it is my understanding that treasures do NOT count towards the ten card hand limit.

I believe you’re right. You shouldn’t have a penalty for equipping treasures that you earned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.