Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a rule or mechanic to handle individual players skipping a session? Will they simply be using the Automa rules?

I have a full group of 5 entering the last game of SeaFall (for us, the 18th game), and the rules provide a mechanic to prevent missing players from falling too far behind. Therefore, we agreed early on that we would play any time that 4 of the 5 of us could. All 5 players (and another one) want to play both Charterstone and Gloomhaven (we all have the legacy bug - I've already pre-ordered Charterstone), so getting all 6 players together will likely be difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you post your groups' impressions of Seafall? We liked it a lot despite a few errrrk moments with rules. If you posted a review or overall comments/thoughts, I'd like to read the response of another legacy game lover to that game. Could you share a link here to that page or private message me? Thanks!

PS I'm also REALLY looking forward to Charterstone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:
Did you post your groups' impressions of Seafall? We liked it a lot despite a few errrrk moments with rules. If you posted a review or overall comments/thoughts, I'd like to read the response of another legacy game lover to that game. Could you share a link here to that page or private message me? Thanks!

PS I'm also REALLY looking forward to Charterstone!

I have not yet, because we still have the final game to do (which is entirely different from all of the previous games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lane
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched that vid by How To Play, and it seems that this will be ok. Though being a competitive game, and earning points toward your final campaign total during each session, I'm not entirely sure how this would work. Anyhoo, yes, dying to play Charterstone. And waiting impatiently for Gloomhaven 2nd print pre order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:
Is there a rule or mechanic to handle individual players skipping a session? Will they simply be using the Automa rules?

Yes, the Automa rules are made so that you can swap in an Automa for a player who skips a session. It's of course not exactly the same as having the player actually be there .

You can also play without using an Automa, but I don't have the full rulebook where I am now, so I'll let Jamey respond to that part, if he drops by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:

I have a full group of 5 entering the last game of SeaFall (for us, the 18th game), and the rules provide a mechanic to prevent missing players from falling too far behind. Therefore, we agreed early on that we would play any time that 4 of the 5 of us could. All 5 players (and another one) want to play both Charterstone and Gloomhaven (we all have the legacy bug - I've already pre-ordered Charterstone), so getting all 6 players together will likely be difficult.

Morten has replied about Charterstone and Jamie may expand that, but on Gloomhaven, my understanding is that it's balanced for a maximum of 4 players playing at once. It does come with 6 initially playable characters, but I don;t think it supports playing them all at once. I'm planning 2 concurrent parties playing when our copy arrives. A four person game group, and then my son and I running the other 2 characters on the same campaign just doing different missions to unlock more of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charterstone is a 1-6 player game, and every session is fully playable at 1-6 players (Damien, I'm not sure where you heard otherwise--please correct that incorrect rumor wherever you heard it ).

Chris, there's a note on page 1 of the Chronicle that reads:

"Want to add or drop players? We recommend that the same people play the entire Charterstone campaign. However, it is possible to add or drop players after Game 1. To add a player, let them choose an inactive charter, give them 1 random unconstructed or constructed building card from the advancement deck, and assign them an equitable amount of glory and capacity (those terms will make more sense after Games 1 and 2). To drop a player, see rule 2 (which will be unlocked after Game 2)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
"Want to add or drop players? We recommend that the same people play the entire Charterstone campaign. However, it is possible to add or drop players after Game 1. To add a player, let them choose an inactive charter, give them 1 random unconstructed or constructed building card from the advancement deck, and assign them an equitable amount of glory and capacity (those terms will make more sense after Games 1 and 2). To drop a player, see rule 2 (which will be unlocked after Game 2)."

I'm not concerned so much about adding or dropping players, but the occasional "I can't make it this weekend but you guys have fun without me" situation. Is there something to prevent that player from falling behind, or some thing that the game does to make up for what that player would have done? Obviously they're not in the running for the trophy of that game, but I feel like missing one game of Glory collection or working toward a new building is rather detrimental. Are those add/remove rules applicable to a "remove for just one session" scenario?

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect to love this game, I'm just a detail-oriented person and would like to know what to expect for this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:
I'm not concerned so much about adding or dropping players, but the occasional "I can't make it this weekend but you guys have fun without me" situation....

I´ll talk with my group about it and suggest to use the Automa for that player in this game, but it´s not set in the stone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris: You're correct that it is detrimental to a player's overall campaign score if they miss out on a game. That's partially by design--if a player plays games 1-6, misses 7, and then plays 8-12, I didn't think they should be rewarded for a game they didn't play. Of course, if you want to house rule some glory to them, I won't stand in your way.

There is, however, a scaling mechanism related to inactive charters--even if they're just temporarily inactive. And as Winston mentioned, you can have the Automa system represent that player for the session(s) they miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Desruisseaux
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi Jamey,
I just finished Game 2 and I didn't unlock Rule 2. What I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Desruisseaux
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
Sorry, I just see it was 125-127 and I just read 125 and 127.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.