Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wild Horses vs Sense of Emergency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wild Horses:
Play after a hunter moves by road. Before any cards in hideouts or lairs are revealed,
move the hunter to an adjacent city. Then, reveal only the cards in the hunter's new location.


Sense of Emergency:
Play as an action during day. Suffer 2 damage and move to a city up to 3 roads away.
-----------------------------------------
Does Wild Horses work on Sense of Emergency?

On Actions (helper) cards it states "Move: Move by road...". This "move by road" phrase is used in the RR under movement as well. Sense of Emergency is not a "Move", "move by road" action, it is movement via a Special action from an Event Card. However if we apply that same thinking to Fast Horses ("...to move a number of roads up to the yellow...") then Wild Horses wouldn't be playable on Fast Horses which seems all kinds of silly.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Related example, can you play Fast Horses during Long Night?
Long Night:
During the next night, hunters can perform move actions to move by road. Each...

Fast Horses:
Reveal this card as an action during day.
Reveal 1 ticket token from the token pool to move a number of roads up to the yellow number on that token. If there is no yellow...


My first thought is that Wild Horses would not be playable during Long Night because it's not a move, move by road action, it's a Special (Event Card) action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
traemyn wrote:
Related example, can you play Fast Horses during Long Night?
Long Night:
During the next night, hunters can perform move actions to move by road. Each...

Fast Horses:
Reveal this card as an action during day.
Reveal 1 ticket token from the token pool to move a number of roads up to the yellow number on that token. If there is no yellow...


My first thought is that Wild Horses would not be playable during Long Night because it's not a move, move by road action, it's a Special (Event Card) action.


Your quote answers your question:
Long night only allows moves during the night
Fast horses only works during the day.

Regards, Salman
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
traemyn wrote:
Wild Horses:
Play after a hunter moves by road. Before any cards in hideouts or lairs are revealed,
move the hunter to an adjacent city. Then, reveal only the cards in the hunter's new location.


Sense of Emergency:
Play as an action during day. Suffer 2 damage and move to a city up to 3 roads away.
-----------------------------------------
Does Wild Horses work on Sense of Emergency?

I would say it does, since it is still a move by road.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:


Your quote answers your question:
Long night only allows moves during the night
Fast horses only works during the day.

Regards, Salman


Ah yes, missed that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both of Salmon's answers.

P.S. I am (slowly) compiling a FAQ of card interactions like this, and this thread will help with that. Thanks for the good Q&A.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is how I am reconciling this for now...

Movement events that modify your Move actions*:
-Chartered Carriage says "Play before you move by railway"

*You have to use a Move action during use of the card


Movement events that are Special Actions and not Move Actions:
-Fast Horses says "Reveal this card as an action during day"
-Sense of Emergency says "Play as an action during day"
-Excellent Weather says "Play as an action during day"


Movement combinations that can be played during day after playing Renewed Vigor:
[Fast Horses + Move action]
[Sense of Emergency + Move action]
[Excellent Weather + Move action]
[Fast Horses + Chartered Carriage]
[Sense of Emergency + Chartered Carriage]


Wild Horses can affect the following events*:
-Fast Horses
-Sense of Emergency

*While the "move by" terminology is used under Move action rules, not all "move by" movement is a Move action.


Customs Search can affect the following events:
-Chartered Carriage


No hunter movement event cards can be played during Long Night because it says "...hunters can perform move actions to move by road..." and there are no hunter event cards that modify a Move action to move by road.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
traemyn wrote:
Movement events that are Special Actions and not Move Actions:
-Fast Horses says "Reveal this card as an action during day"
-Sense of Emergency says "Play as an action during day"
-Excellent Weather says "Play as an action during day"


Movement combinations that can be played during day after playing Renewed Vigor:
[Fast Horses + Move action]
[Sense of Emergency + Move action]
[Excellent Weather + Move action]
[Fast Horses + Chartered Carriage]
[Sense of Emergency + Chartered Carriage]

...

*While the "move by" terminology is used under Move action rules, not all "move by" movement is a Move action.


The 'renewed vigor' movement combinations you suggest seem overpowered to me, and I have a hard time believing the game's designers intended this.
I'm inclined to believe that any *action* that causes a character to *move* is intended to be considered a 'movement action', and that's just one more of the many many things the rules aren't clear about.
If a card says 'move by...' it is talking about a 'movement action' because 'move' is an 'action'. (Except in a few rare cases, like when 'bats' allows drac to 'move' a hunter.)
Therefore 'fast horses', 'sense of emergency', & 'excellent weather' are all 'movement actions'.

I agree that 'chartered carriage' modifies the rail 'movement action'

traemyn wrote:
No hunter movement event cards can be played during Long Night because it says "...hunters can perform move actions to move by road..." and there are no hunter event cards that modify a Move action to move by road.

this is a moot point but i'll mention that 'fast horses' move by road (and, I believe, is a 'move action' and/or modifies the road 'movement action), but its an item not an event, and the card says to play it during day - so it still probably cant be used during 'long night'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree its worth discussion, especially [Sense of Emergency + Chartered Carriage] which can take you 3/4 of the way across the map. The combos haven't been used enough in my games for me to feel its overpowered though. Its a similar power level as Heroic Leap, Consecrated Ground, or Mina's special card, but it takes 3(!) cards to pull off the maximum movement.

I find it hard to hang on to Fast Horses the entire game (excluding Seward). Also, it can and will fail you a lot.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
also, lets consider the following:
don't we all agree that Renewed Vigor cannot be used to do, say, a road movement followed by rail movement?
(Because road movement and rail movement are not two different actions, they are different forms of the same action - 'move'.)
My feeling is if the game's designers chose to not allow the movement combo of road+rail, then theres no way they would allow any of those other movement combos.
I reckon if any type of move combo is allowed, then they should all be allowed.
Of course I would vote to allow none of them - but hey its yer game, you paid for it, so you should play it whatever way seems right to you.

Although I gotta admit i would not be surprised to find out they intended road, rail, and sea movement to be three different actions and its yet another thing they were unclear about.


traemyn wrote:
Its a similar power level as Heroic Leap, Consecrated Ground, or Mina's special card, but it takes 3(!) cards to pull off the maximum movement.

well I certainly disagree, except maybe when considering the three card aspect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.