Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As the forum is rather quite atm, I'd like to tap into all that unused, surplus brain power to get some ideas for a new category of cards I'm working on atm: Events and Encounters.

If you follow the MYTH: Dungeons thread, you'll already know about "Hidden Realm Objects". For all those, that don't: Hidden Realm Objects enable the heroes to search a tile for secrets, like a concealed door, a hidden shrine or a forgotten passage.

Based on the expanded Realm Object format for the Hidden ROs, I've now started to work on a third type of "Realm Objects" - the Events and Encounters.
Events and Encounter cards are brought into play by an exploration roll. For that, certain quest will have an added fate recipe. When you roll that fate recipe, you draw a card from the "Event and Encounter" deck.
This will enable me, to add a wide variety of generic, typical dungeon events and encounters. Like with the Hidden ROs, the "Event and Encounter" deck will grow with each release of MYTH: Dungeons.

To give you an idea, what I'm talking about, here is a first draft of an event card. Flavor text is going to change (obviously ) but I think, you can see what I'm trying to do.

^^This is the front of the event card. As you might guess, there will be more cards with the same front (Wounded Person), but different backs.

^^This is the back of the card, which you get to see, after you've helped the "Wounded Person".

Like with the Hidden ROs, I will try to create a deck of 20 or so cards for the next release. Not all of these cards will be NPCs, although this is really an area, that I'm very excited about (some of those NPCs will even introduce little side quests!!).

What kind of Event / Encounter would you like to see? What ideas do you have?

Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kanz
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet tried the Dungeons mod as the core game and expansion still generate enough excitement for me.

However, I have thought about NPCs because I am thinking about writing own modules or re-writing some of the story quests that came with myth to modules (as MCG has done with "Stone of life" and somebody from this community has done with "No Rest for the Weary").

So, here's a few thoughts that might work as well in Dungeons:

- A powerful, highly opportunistic guild. It will never be completely revealed, but has power (economic? magic?) and every now and then the hero's will come across a member/victim/whatever of the guild. The guild will partner sometimes with the heroes and their allies and sometimes with the darkness, whatever fits hits interest best. I could even think of side quests where you accept an order from the cult for a reward, just to find out later that this order actually will harm innocents and you then have to make a decision if you want to really carry out the order to get your reward.

- "Fallen" heroes who have some history with certain bosses, mini-bosses or commanders. It would be interesting if they had great power but a curse that haunts them if they meet their arch-enemy and then even harms the heroes, severely. So the party has to decide if / how much you want them as allies.

- With the new rules from JM, agents tend to come back rather often after they have been defeated once. As this can get annoying fast, you could introduce old teachers / masters of agents that know their secret weakness that will allow to defeat an agent once and for all.

All in all, I think their is almost limitless ideas for NPCs and events, you just have to make sure that the players have enough meaningful decisions to make (outside which action to play), which to me is the essential thing the core game is lacking.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Ooh, I really like this concept!

Here's an idea to add to the list:

Gloomy Well

Possible outcomes:
- oops, you fall in, take damage and must spend movement or AP to get out
- it's empty, boo
- find a few coins thrown in for wishes
- find a treasure stash
- find a trapped creature that you can free for serendipity
- find a mini-boss that will attack you
- find a lair
- lead to a hidden chamber, where you meet an NPC that gives a side-quest
- lead to a hidden chamber, where you fight a side-quest confrontation (given by another NPC)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great ideas! Thank you!

I hope I can put together a first draft for the different categories and outcomes this week.

I'm really intriguied by the idea of those NPCs unlocking little side quests, but I'm no yet sure, how to implement that, without making it too complicated or too repetitive.

Beside the NPCs I will focus on things you can find in most dungeons, like barrals, pillars, etc. as this deck is supposed to be used in all dungeons... and yes, you'll have to attack the barrels to destroy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McElroy
msg tools
I really love that idea! I am busy with making my OWN module (will share when it's nearly there) and I am strugling with the concept of choise. I want the players that are on some big quest to help a random NPC with a sidequest.

Your templates look amazing. Mind sharing them so I can make my own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looking forward to your module!

The particular card you can see above is just a draft. It is based on the Realm Object format, that I've introduced in MYTH: Dungeons. Here is an example of a final Realm Object card used in the first quest (in contrast to the card shown above, the "standard" RO card is single-sided):

At some point, I will release templates of all the new card formats I've created for MYTH: Dungeons (including quests and locations), but there is still some work and clean-up left to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add to this. Can you please give a format like ...
Flavor text:
Placement:
Etc
Based on the sections on your card

I am doing a bunch of traveling and this will occupy my mind while waiting in airports and flying.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The example card for the "Wounded Person" has the following sections (from top to bottom):

Front:
Placement
Flavor
Rules
Interaction
Results

Back:
Flavor
Rules
Interaction
Results

Please note, that this is all at a very early stage in development. Things will probably change!

Happy airport thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Is there a key to the symbols?

I could generate a ton of ideas for you if you are interested. Do they need to be based on object tiles in the game, or can I go outside the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jacob Dryearth wrote:
Is there a key to the symbols?

I could generate a ton of ideas for you if you are interested. Do they need to be based on object tiles in the game, or can I go outside the box?

That sounds fantastic! The symbols and Realm Objects in general are explained in the manual of MYTH: Dungeons (which you can find in the file section).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I thought this was still in private alpha test mode. I'll take a look. I guess I'll need to read through the original topic to understand your design goals and how it all fits together...

I've been tuned out of Myth for a couple of years, until just a few days ago when I stumbled across the JM expansions for a good price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jacob Dryearth wrote:
Ok, I thought this was still in private alpha test mode. I'll take a look. I guess I'll need to read through the original topic to understand your design goals and how it all fits together...

You're not completely wrong about the alpha state of the cards:

Due to the scope and amount of new content, MYTH: Dungeons has multiple releases - the so called "Dungeon Packs".

Dungeon Pack 1 - "The Sewers of Wagenscross - Part 1" has been released.
Dungeon Pack 2 - "The Sewers of Wagenscross - Part 2" is what I'm working on atm.

The "Barrel" realm object card you see above is from Dungeon Pack 1. It is final.

The other cards in this thread (and in various other threads I've posted over the last few weeks) are WIP. They introduce a bunch of new concepts and expand the basic realm object format introduced in Dungeon Pack 1.

Dungeon Pack 2 will expand the Realm objects with:

- Allies with integrated side-quests.
- Hidden Realm Objects
- Event Realm Objects

The goal is, to make each dungeon feel even more alive, by providing random encounters and secrets that you can discover no matter which quest you are on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I see. So the allies, side quests, events, and ROs in dungeon pack 2 will be backwards compatible with dungeon pack 1. Going forward, will these be generic, for use in all dungeons, or will each dungeon have its own set of them?

I ask because; the barrel, it says "Sewers of Wagoncross" on the card. A barrel is a pretty universal dungeon dressing that can show up almost anywhere. I assume you'll make barrels for any other dungeons as appropriate, with different contents.

I realize that is a very specific question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
All the new stuff will be usable with DP2 and later releases. My plan is to gradually add new stuff to each release, so things don't get too overwhelming.

All Realm Objects created for DP1 are part of a dungeon quest. The Barrel for example, belongs with the first quest. You will only place this special barrel, when you play the first quest.

While there will be more quest specific Realm Objects with DP2, the second release will also see the introduction of quest independent Realm Objects - namely the events, allies with side-quests and hidden ROs - in short all the stuff I've been talking about during the last few weeks.

What I want to achieve is a pool of "generic" realm objects and events, that can be build into any quest as either a scripted or random encounter.

This pool of cards will grow with each release, so once the whole project is finished, we hopefully have cards for pretty much everything you can find in a dungeon - from exploding barrels to a magic, underground garden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
OK perfect. That answers the question perfectly, and tells me what I need to know to get creative!

I'll hold off on asking any other questions until I read all the topics, and rules fully... except one more.

Am I correct in assuming Dungeon Pack 1 is complete, and ready for printing; it isn't going to change because any changes to the system will be handled in later packs, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeap. Dungeon Pack 1 is final!

Dungeon Pack 2 will also play in Wagenscross and finish the story arc.

Dungeon Pack 3 will then introduce a new dungeon tile set with a new story arc.

Dungeon Pack 4,5,7... we'll see!

Just writing this to make it clear, that we are just at the start of a -hopefully - fun and suspenseful journey into the dungeons of MYTH.

If you've got more questions, I recommend you head over to the official development thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1741222/myth-dungeons

I'll also post regular updates there about what's going on with MYTH: Dungeons.

Thanks for your interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.