Fate of the Elder Gods» Forums » Rules

Subject: How many Astral Symbols can be present at a location? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bubu bubu
Other-Eastern Europe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm asking this cause I didn't find any mention of this in the rulebook and in my first game last night we had a lot of astral symbols stacking up, mostly of the same color at the gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Winterflood
England
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No limit from what I believe. You did remove all the Astral symbol cards from a location when any of them were used to ready a spell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly they stay there till someone casts a spell there. All cards are then removed from the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
If I remember correctly they stay there till someone readies a spell there. All cards are then removed from the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
If I remember correctly they stay there till someone casts a spell there. All cards are then removed from the location.

When I played with Chris and Richard at GrandCon this past weekend, we played where you remove them whenever you readied a spell at the location (and honestly, I believe it was whenever a spell was readied at the location, regardless if those particular cards in the astral column were used to ready it or not).

But honestly, I havent really dug deep into the rulebook at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Winterflood
England
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
tazbro wrote:

When I played with Chris and Richard at GrandCon this past weekend, we played where you remove them whenever you readied a spell at the location (and honestly, I believe it was whenever a spell was readied at the location, regardless if those particular cards in the astral column were used to ready it or not).

Yes, that is what I was asking on my reply if they were doing that. If a spell is readied at a location then clear that astral column regardless of what was used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winterflood wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
tazbro wrote:

Yes, that is what I was asking on my reply if they were doing that. If a spell is readied at a location then clear that astral column regardless of what was used.

I know, I quoted the person below you who said "cast", not "ready".

And also clarifying that when I played it didn't matter if one of those cards on the column were used to ready the spell, you could only use cards in your hand to ready the spell and the column would still wipe away. At least that's how the desingers taught me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes when you Ready a Spell at a Location, ALL the cards in the Astral Column are discarded, whether those icons were used or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bubu bubu
Other-Eastern Europe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Clarification. I only removed the symbols which were used and this created a buffer on the location. Guess I'm not gonna missplay that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
And also clarifying that when I played it didn't matter if one of those cards on the column were used to ready the spell, you could only use cards in your hand to ready the spell and the column would still wipe away. At least that's how the desingers taught me.

You don't use cards from your hand to ready spells. You use other readied spells to help ready spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

You don't use cards from your hand to ready spells. You use other readied spells to help ready spells.

It was taught to me, by 2 of the designers, that you can use the cards in your hand as well as readied spells as well as the cards in the active astral column to ready a spell.

Feel free to disagree with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Trump wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

It was taught to me, by 2 of the designers, that you can use the cards in your hand as well as readied spells as well as the cards in the active astral column to ready a spell.

On most locations you would use the astral signs in the column and from your own readied spells. The Library location has some extra rules, where you can ready an extra spell, sometimes even for free if you have control. But I have not heard of any cases where you would use astral signs from the spell cards in your own hand to ready a spell ? At least it's not in the printed rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stenfisker wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Trump wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

On most locations you would use the astral signs in the column and from your own readied spells. The Library location has some extra rules, where you can ready an extra spell, sometimes even for free if you have control. But I have not heard of any cases where you would use astral signs from the spell cards in your own hand to ready a spell ? At least it's not in the printed rules...

Well, that is how Chris and Richard taught it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
stenfisker wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Trump wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

Well, then there are only 4 possibilities left:
a: they have to re-write the rules
b: you were actually playing some kind of variant
c: they explained the rules wrong
d: you misunderstood them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stenfisker wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
stenfisker wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Trump wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

Well, then there are only 4 possibilities left:
a: they have to re-write the rules
b: you were actually playing some kind of variant
c: they explained the rules wrong
d: you misunderstood them

d, I dont think is possible. They both explained it this way, they allowed the players to play this way, and they, themselves, played it this way...

I wouldnt think b is a possibility, either, as there was no mention of a variant by either of them, in either game I played.

So yeah, either a or c. But like I said, youll have to disagree with them, because that is how it was taught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, first of all I guess I should state that nobody should ever use me as the expert on any rules, but I think there is definitely some confusion here between what we thought was understood and what was understood so I will try to clear it up.

We taught and I think the rules clearly state that when casting a spell you use the cards on the location that create the astraplane and any of the potential 3 cards you have in your readied spaces of your lodge to cast a spell in your hand that is added to your readied spells or cast outright. Cards from the astraplane all go away, all the cards whether used or not, and if you used any cards from your readied, they remain. Cards in your hand are not used to cast, ready a spell.

It appears that was not clear and may have been misunderstood and I doubt we watched the casting that closely so if we let anyone break that rule, it was simply an oversight in misunderstanding the process we tried to explain.

In any event, thanks for playing the game.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
Ok, first of all I guess I should state that nobody should ever use me as the expert on any rules, but I think there is definitely some confusion here between what we thought was understood and what was understood so I will try to clear it up.

We taught and I think the rules clearly state that when casting a spell you use the cards on the location that create the astraplane and any of the potential 3 cards you have in your readied spaces of your lodge to cast a spell in your hand that is added to your readied spells or cast outright. Cards from the astraplane all go away, all the cards whether used or not, and if you used any cards from your readied, they remain. Cards in your hand are not used to cast, ready a spell.

It appears that was not clear and may have been misunderstood and I doubt we watched the casting that closely so if we let anyone break that rule, it was simply an oversight in misunderstanding the process we tried to explain.

In any event, thanks for playing the game.

Richard

Your clarification is greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.