Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Zombies!!!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zombie Zoo "Affentheater" card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

i'm finally going through my expansion sets and am a bit puzzled by this card from expansion 12 (Zombie Zoo):



My English interpretation of that is:

Quote:
Automatic
During this turn you may not make any combat rolls and must take damage as if you had lost all combat rolls.


So... if you encounter a zombie when this is in effect, you automatically die (i.e. lose all combat rolls until you die), correct?

PS: i understand that there's a forum for this expansion, but its forums are completely dead, with only 1 post in the past 2+ years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your English interpretation is close. But, you made it plural. The english version is singular and reads:
You cannot roll for combat this turn and must take damage as if the combat roll failed.

So, you don't roll. You could use 4 bullets to win the combat and collect the zombie, or lose a life. But, just for the one combat. Then, you are done for the turn. Makes more sense than automatically dying. Which the card could just say, instead.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Your English interpretation is close. But, you made it plural. The english version is singular and reads:
You cannot roll for combat this turn and must take damage as if the combat roll failed.

So, you don't roll. You could use 4 bullets to win the combat and collect the zombie, or lose a life. But, just for the one combat. Then, you are done for the turn. Makes more sense than automatically dying. Which the card could just say, instead.


FWIW, i disagree that you can use bullets if you don't get to roll, as bullets are used to modify attack rolls (which you can't make, per the card's text). That interpretation is reinforced by the "must take damage" wording, which seems to imply that there is no way to win the attack. Also, i see no basis for ending combat after the first (auto-failed) combat round, as combat always(?) continues until one combatant is eliminated.

Or is "turn" (in the English version) intended to mean a combat turn/round, as opposed to a full player's turn/round? If so, the card makes much more sense to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you. And, I'm not saying you are wrong. But, consider...

Automatic cards are played at the beginning of a player's turn. "Turn" is the beginning of the player's seven steps...from 1) Draw a card...to 7) Discard...) A "round is all player's taking a turn in order. So, the card would only affect the player who played it (during this turn).

Again, the card says:
You cannot roll for combat this turn and must take damage as if the combat roll failed.


If you fail a combat roll, the following basic rule applies:
if you roll a one, two or three, you lose and must either, forfeit a life token or spend enough bullet tokens to raise the roll enough to make it successful.

I get what you are saying about "damage." But, that word is not actually in the rules, only on the card. You could interpret it to mean "forfeit a life token." But, I think the card would have said that. That's why I think it means proceed as if you didn't roll at all, so have no die score. So, effectively, you failed with a "0". But, you would be able to add 4 bullets (or use cards, etc.). As for taking that a step further and applying weapon effects, I would not. I'd go with a straight up 4 bullet tokens, or forfeit a life token. MY interpretation.

Normally, when the modified die roll fails to win the combat:
Combat continues until the player wins or runs out of life tokens. A player can never voluntarily leave combat.

Again, if they wanted the player to continue to lose "combat rolls" until he/she runs out of Life Tokens, why not just say the Player Pawn dies? The card doesn't even allow for a combat roll, and used the singular "roll." That's why I read it that you don't even fight a combat, or multiple combats, you just suffer the result of a failed combat, and move on. Now, this could still be fatal for the Player Pawn.

We can agree to disagree. But, my way the player may live to fight another day (assuming he doesn't lose his last Life Token). With your way, the players that draws that card (I think there are two of them) automatically dies unless they already played an Automatic card this turn, and then discard the auto-death card a the end of their turn. Remember, you don't re-spawn in this edition. Dead is dead. A player could literally be knocked out of the game on their very first and only action of the game. Yikes!


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:

We can agree to disagree. But, my way the player may live to fight another day (assuming he doesn't lose his last Life Token). With your way, the players that draws that card (I think there are two of them) automatically dies unless they already played an Automatic card this turn, and then discard the auto-death card a the end of their turn.


i agree that your interpretation makes more mechanical/thematic sense, and that it is the likely intent, i just don't agree that that interpretation/intent is in line with the game's rules :/.

ZombieMark wrote:
A player could literally be knocked out of the game on their very first and only action of the game. Yikes!


That was my first thought as well, but the turn order is to attack any zombies in one's space (turn step 2) before drawing cards (turn step 3). If you draw multiple Automatics, any subsequent Automatic triggers on your subsequent turns. Unfortunately, the [German] rules aren't clear about exactly when (which turn phase) they trigger, but i assume that it's during the Draw Card phase (#3) because that's when the first Automatic triggers. i.e. triggering in phase 3 would/should be consistent for all Automatics. Thus a character always(?) has a chance to clear out his space before a new Automatic event triggers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
That was my first thought as well, but the turn order is to attack any zombies in one's space (turn step 2) before drawing cards (turn step 3). If you draw multiple Automatics, any subsequent Automatic triggers on your subsequent turns. Unfortunately, the [German] rules aren't clear about exactly when (which turn phase) they trigger, but i assume that it's during the Draw Card phase (#3) because that's when the first Automatic triggers. i.e. triggering in phase 3 would/should be consistent for all Automatics. Thus a character always(?) has a chance to clear out his space before a new Automatic event triggers.


Yeah. Forgot that zombies are fought first. And, when the card is played after that, or as soon as drawn, the Player would have the option to not move into a space with a zombie, and try not to end his move next to one. It's really a dumb card, IMHO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.