BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Shuffling sleeved cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, I might come off as a big old dummy here, but how does one shuffle sleeved cards? Recently bought a used game which came with sleeves on all the cards, but they're just so damn slippery!
I plan on sleeving quite a few of my current and future games, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
As you would shuffle unsleeved cards. I mash shuffle them usually, but you could also go for multiple stacks.
They won't remain slippery for long anyway, you can have to give them a few good shuffles and they'll be all good. They'll also let the air out so the decks won't be bulky for long.

If you do it gently you can insert cards in the middle of other cards. Don't force to much or you might break the sleeve, it's happened to me before.

I'm sorry I don't know the exact words. Others will answer better I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually do a regular riffle shuffle like you're used to seeing with a regular deck of cards. The difference with sleeved cards is that you can't shuffle the cards along the short edges (making the cards go long way to long way), because you'll get cards trying to slip through the open edges of the sleeve. You'll have to get used to facing the cards the other way.

For games that are really expensive or rare, I'll pile shuffle so that I'm never bending the cards. I'll just deal them out into a number of piles, combine the piles, repeat the process a couple times.

I don't really like to mash them. On a lot of my games I'll use some cheaper thin sleeves and the edges of the cards can get dinged up even through the sleeve if I shuffle like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group there are a couple of people that deal the entire deck into multiple (5 or so) piles. That has the advantage of separating cards that are played in sets (i.e. Ticket to Ride). Once the deck is dealt they just pick the piles up one at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Goard
South Korea
flag msg tools
I've gotten really good at riffle shuffling vertically. I takes just a little practice. I also break up the riffle shuffling with one or two iterations of dealing the cards into four piles with occasional "random" skips, in order to break up sticky cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, one and all! Guess I'm practicing shuffling this weekend then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.