Hide
8 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Article about Core 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cry Of Frustration
msg tools
https://cryoffrustration.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/dr-ruselov...

Strangely, I thought I had posted this 3 days ago, but it doesn't seem to be around. I checked my profile, and I didn't have any posts "pending approval" either, nor did I get an email about a post of mine not getting approved or getting deleted.

So if anyone knows of a reason why this shouldn't be on here, let me know and I'll delete it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Well written, but I'm on the other side regarding Core 2. I think the revised Core set is a great change. Things are looking up!

Stinks that you wasted all that work, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I no know no one personally that has the inside track to consistently spoil major upcoming events (like Spoiler Ken did recently with the BRL). Without that kind of unsanctioned channel, I was at best ambivalent about the possibility of Core 2.0. When it was announced, I'm sure everyone adjusted their retrospective-scopes and said "of course!" simultaneously.

Those who bought recent Core 1.0 sets still have the necessary cards to play Netrunner, so no harm done.

I will express two minor reservations:

1] I like spoilers as much as the next player, but mostly as regards individual cards. I think the extended amount of wink-wink-nudge-nudge that appeared on various forums between "players in the know" created an atmosphere of uncertainty, especially given the rough patch Netrunner has seen with OP cards, wonky combos, etc. Big news like a Core 2.0 (and now a leaked Banned/Restricted List) I would rather hear direct from the LD with thorough explanations as opposed to everyone else flooding the forums with personal anecdotes and pet theories. I know play testers supposedly sign NDAs, but this info is coming from somebody with high access in a way that life imitates art. I know what you're thinking- wouldn't I have spoiled such a juicy scoop? Great question- the answer is no, unless I was authorized to do so for the reason I mentioned above. Spoiling cards is one thing, but big stuff like this should be reserved for Boggs.

2] I am also on board with Core 2.0, and believe it is a good and necessary revision. I am less certain about the rumored BRL that will purportedly replace the MWL, especially because two Core 2.0 cards (Magnum Opus and Aesop's Pawnshop) fall on the restricted side. Between Core 2.0, Rotation and a possible BRL, there's a lot for veteran players to absorb and perhaps an even greater threshold for new players to cross. However, if the only way to address anticipated problems is a ban list, then so be it. It's just that these major changes begin to resemble a "reboot" similar to AGOT 2.0 that many posters said Netrunner wouldn't do or need, or least a "soft reboot" since so many classic card relationships and dependencies have changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Prime? More like Core Lame!

I agree with some of that. Core 1.0 was a thing of beauty, thanks to the friendly deckbuilding system. So much bread and butter there. But 2.0 is really the same - it's like they released a new game without obsoleting all of the old cards. OK, they just rotated out 61 of the 120 cards in the first cycle. But that's not 100%!

It just shakes up everybody's strategies again. People have to rethink everything. A lot of broken crap went out. Here's to two more cycles of new broken crap

(Not believing the rumours was just good skepticism, by the way. I'm halfway inclined to think the rumour of a Core 2.0 is what actually made FFG create one.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
I am less certain about the rumored BRL that will purported replace the MWL, especially because two Core 2.0 cards (Magnum Opus and Aesop's Pawnshop) fall on the restricted side.

Yeah, that just seems weird. Restricting both means there are special rules right out of the box. If it turns out to be real they must be designing and developing with two different teams which don't talk to each other. And that would mean this is all heading straight to Hell in a hand basket. Which is probably an upcoming Anarch card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually hope the Ban list is not true. I like the MWL system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cry Of Frustration
msg tools
gnurf wrote:
Which is probably an upcoming Anarch card.

Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigurdur Gunnarsson
Iceland
Seltjarnarnes
flag msg tools
Thanks for a really nice article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.