1 , 2  Next »   | 

Merlin» Forums » General

Subject: Not Happy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Q
msg tools
mb
After an agonizing month dealing with the mess of a release of Anachrony, I was hoping my remaining pre-orders would go without a hitch......oh well!

I was all excited to PRE-ORDER the game from MM. I'm a big fan of Feld games and Arthurian Legend, so of course, this was a no-brainer.

I just got this email from MM:

<i>Good Afternoon,

Regretfully we have been informed by the manufacturer that Merlin is not going to be released to retailers. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause. We will have any remaining items from your order processed and shipped right away and a refund processed for the cancelled item. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding on this matter. Please let us know if there is anything further we may assist you with and thank you for choosing Miniature Market.

Rose M.Customer ServiceMiniature Market<i/>

So, it seems Queen games cancelled all pre-orders and decided to kickstart it w/ Pioneers, WTF?
Apparently, they're holding Merlin hostage to support the fledgeling Pioneers. Kind of a cheesy move fellas! I had it preordered w/ shipping for around $50. Now I have to pay $60 + $16 shipping, that's $76 !!!!

Queen games states on their site that they did this to make shipping more affordable. More affordable??? $16 shipping! R U Frickin' kidding me?

Like I said, I'm a BIG fan of Feld games, my only complaint is that a lot of his games have pretty shitty component quality, but I can overlook that because I enjoy the game mechanics.
Hopefully, Queen games will, at the very least, have some decent cardboard thickness to this game, after all, they are asking $60.

Kind of a rip-off, but being a big Feld fan, I'm going to buy it anyway, although, it does leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I actually feel bad for MM. The Anachrony fiasco followed by this BS.....I hope this is not a growing trend amongst the manufacturers.
(Like Gordon Geko said in Wall St. ....Greed is Good)
Seems like some people are taking that statement to heart!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyte Cell wrote:
Regretfully we have been informed by the manufacturer that Merlin is not going to be released to retailers.

Quote:
So, it seems Queen games cancelled all pre-orders and decided to kickstart it w/ Pioneers, WTF?
Apparently, they're holding Merlin hostage to support the fledgeling Pioneers.

Doesn't this mean than Miniature Market proposed a pre-order without the certainty to be able to deliver it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do they make massively more profit from only giving a tiny cut to one source(no more distributors or retailers or steep discounts), but you have to front the entire shipping yourself instead of getting it for free(in the US). Their model is great for them and terrible for you. Don't support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Not only do they make massively more profit from only giving a tiny cut to one source(no more distributors or retailers or steep discounts), but you have to front the entire shipping yourself instead of getting it for free(in the US). Their model is great for them and terrible for you. Don't support it.

Yup. I'm boycotting this KSer for this...and the fact that it's Queen. I think it's greedy and lame. I'll spend my game money elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyte Cell wrote:

Queen games states on their site that they did this to make shipping more affordable. More affordable??? $16 shipping! R U Frickin' kidding me?

Totally ignoring the rest of your post, but $16 for shipping doesn't seem excessive or strange at all for a kickstarter. Most kickstarters I look at, I'd have to pay more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is almost no advantage to pre-ordering from online retailers. I do not know why people continue to do it (and then complain about it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Wait a couple years and buy it used for $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzan wrote:
Wyte Cell wrote:

Totally ignoring the rest of your post, but $16 for shipping doesn't seem excessive or strange at all for a kickstarter. Most kickstarters I look at, I'd have to pay more.

By removing the option of online retailers, which in the US all offer free shipping, it is pretty big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I like Feld games, but oddly enough I need myself not caring if I get this game or not. I consider this a good thing, maybe I'm cured?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of consolidating the unhappy MM pre-order crowd: there was a megathread started three days before this one about this very issue:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1851364/miniature-market-ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just wait till it's 50%-60% off on Amazon like every other Queen game. I'm not rewarding their practices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyte Cell wrote:

Kind of a rip-off, but being a big Feld fan, I'm going to buy it anyway, although, it does leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Why? If it pisses you off enough to start a thread about it, then don't buy it. Otherwise Queen is encouraged by your business to continue their practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge Feld fan here. This was a really agonizing and tough decision, made especially harder by the fact that the theme is one of my favs ... but after reading endless comments about how Queen runs its KS'ers plus the very absurd asking price w/shipping, we decided to just pass .... simply cannot give in and take a chance supporting this.

If Im able to get it down the line, so be it. If not, well itll be something I never play. Theres always other stuff to enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a Feld fan here and really appreciate the theme of this one. I hate the experience everyone seems to have had in the past, but this will be my first experience with Queen so I am going to give them a chance to prove themselves. I see nothing wrong with them doing KS only to begin, however, the fact Canada can only receive reduced shipping if they order Pioneers seems like a cheap move. In a vacuum, that's the only strike I've witnessed. Hopefully they will deliver a better service this time around and make a better name for themselves. Also, any further lame tactic to sell Pioneers needs to stop ASAP. Most of us only care about Merlin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Wyman
United States
Glen spey
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a fan of feld too. I can wait and you should wait too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrdavis4 wrote:
Also a Feld fan here and really appreciate the theme of this one. I hate the experience everyone seems to have had in the past, but this will be my first experience with Queen so I am going to give them a chance to prove themselves. I see nothing wrong with them doing KS only to begin, however, the fact Canada can only receive reduced shipping if they order Pioneers seems like a cheap move. In a vacuum, that's the only strike I've witnessed. Hopefully they will deliver a better service this time around and make a better name for themselves. Also, any further lame tactic to sell Pioneers needs to stop ASAP. Most of us only care about Merlin :)

Only strike? Forcing a fake "msrp," to rocket up the price and then making you pay for shipping on top of that aren't strikes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was looking forward to this..oh well, I am not doing a KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Wait a couple years and buy it used for $20.

I will say up front that I'm not backing this and I have no intention of creating a "panic" on sales. That said, before Luna got its reprint, you were lucky to find it used at all, much less for $20. If there isn't a second print of Merlin, I'm wondering how easy it will be to find it in the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Duke
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
Tom Vasel's law will inevitably kick in on this ... "if it is a good game then no worries ... it'll come back into print (or into print in this case and available in your FLGS)...just give it a little time". Feld is too big of a designer with too big many fans to have this game only be available through a KS campaign. Just give it a few months, and it'll be out there on Amazon or your FLGS. Just my prediction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
jrdavis4 wrote:
Also a Feld fan here and really appreciate the theme of this one. I hate the experience everyone seems to have had in the past, but this will be my first experience with Queen so I am going to give them a chance to prove themselves. I see nothing wrong with them doing KS only to begin, however, the fact Canada can only receive reduced shipping if they order Pioneers seems like a cheap move. In a vacuum, that's the only strike I've witnessed. Hopefully they will deliver a better service this time around and make a better name for themselves. Also, any further lame tactic to sell Pioneers needs to stop ASAP. Most of us only care about Merlin

Only strike? Forcing a fake "msrp," to rocket up the price and then making you pay for shipping on top of that aren't strikes?

I've always paid for shipping on KS. And how do you know the MSRP? I've seen 60 be pretty average for games this heavy / as many components.

Of course the price will go down after a while and you can get it used much cheaper. Neither of those are MSRP. If you want the first print run you're gonna be paying more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrdavis4 wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
jrdavis4 wrote:
Also a Feld fan here and really appreciate the theme of this one. I hate the experience everyone seems to have had in the past, but this will be my first experience with Queen so I am going to give them a chance to prove themselves. I see nothing wrong with them doing KS only to begin, however, the fact Canada can only receive reduced shipping if they order Pioneers seems like a cheap move. In a vacuum, that's the only strike I've witnessed. Hopefully they will deliver a better service this time around and make a better name for themselves. Also, any further lame tactic to sell Pioneers needs to stop ASAP. Most of us only care about Merlin :)

I've always paid for shipping on KS. And how do you know the MSRP? I've seen 60 be pretty average for games this heavy / as many components.

Of course the price will go down after a while and you can get it used much cheaper. Neither of those are MSRP. If you want the first print run you're gonna be paying more.

We know the price because peoples' preorders from online retailers were canceled.

You pay for shipping on KS, but the reason it is not at online retailers, which DO have free shipping, is because they are blocking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People keep posting here about how unhappy they are about the KS yet its almost at $100k. Seems like ppl are actually quite happy with what Queen games are doing and Queen games will just keep doing what they have been doing....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jrdavis4 wrote:
And how do you know the MSRP? I've seen 60 be pretty average for games this heavy / as many components.

The KS listed the MSRP in the reward section. Merlin is MSRP of $72.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruazn2 wrote:
People keep posting here about how unhappy they are about the KS yet its almost at $100k. Seems like ppl are actually quite happy with what Queen games are doing and Queen games will just keep doing what they have been doing....

There is no way to make that assumption. Many people are ignorant of what is going on. And people could bite their tongue while buying. Plus, there is no way to know how many people didn't back that would have otherwise.

To link people buying something with being "quite happy" is simply silly.

And yes, Queen will DEFINITELY keep doing what it is doing. Pure profit, charge waaay more than usual, almost no cuts, and get the consumer to pay the shipping. It is perfect for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.