Subject: Dungeon crawler? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Meys
Belgium
Haacht
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Resident Evil 2 is my favorite game of all time. I kept going back to it. So I was very excited about the boardgame announcement. But... Me and my group generally don't like dungeon crawlers. And this, judging from the pics that have been uploaded, looks very much like a dungeon crawler. If this game will be mostly tactical combat, I'm afraid I will have to skip it. If howerever the game offers more then that, I think I might be in on it.

The dungeon crawlers I've played so far are Descent 2.0, Doom (old version) and Shadows of Brimstone. I wasn't a fan of any of them. But knowing this... Will I be able to resist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More likely a lab crawler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
I could never resist buying this. As i played all resident evil games there is and have watched every movie of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eateasse wrote:
Resident Evil 2 is my favorite game of all time. I kept going back to it. So I was very excited about the boardgame announcement. But... Me and my group generally don't like dungeon crawlers. And this, judging from the pics that have been uploaded, looks very much like a dungeon crawler. If this game will be mostly tactical combat, I'm afraid I will have to skip it. If howerever the game offers more then that, I think I might be in on it.

The dungeon crawlers I've played so far are Descent 2.0, Doom (old version) and Shadows of Brimstone. I wasn't a fan of any of them. But knowing this... Will I be able to resist?

Well, discounting ALL dungeon crawlers based on a couple will result in missing out on some really cool games.

While I'd definitely consider RE2 a dungeon crawler, it has some really cool stuff going on that makes it unique. I only played the demo scenario at GenCon. I'm nowhere near a huge fan of most dungeon crawlers; I like some, but aren't really attracted to them typically. But due to my love of Resident Evil, and the fun I had with the demo, I'm sure I'll love this game.

Bottom line: unless you completely hate dungeon crawlers on principal (fighting in tight grid maps), I'd suggest keeping an eye on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Resident Evil 2 is probably my second favorite in the RE series. Resident Evil 4 being my favorite. I'm uncertain if I want to pick this up, just because I feel if I want to experience RE2, I'd rather just play the video game again. Then again, depending on the presentation and mechanics of the board game, I might go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Wesker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have any dungeon crawler games and usually would not go for it, but the theme in this with nostalgia really make it a must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wesker wrote:
I do not have any dungeon crawler games and usually would not go for it, but the theme in this with nostalgia really make it a must have.

I feel the same way. If it were anything else but Resident Evil, I'd probably have passed on it. I already have Zombicide (modern and black plague), so this wouldn't be anything unique on my shelf. But, the more limited ammunition and more climactic boss fights was enough to set it apart from Zombicide. At least that's how I justified it in my mind.

The nostalgia really put me over the edge into "buy" territory. RE2 was also my favorite of the franchise. I was sad that the everything from RE4 and onward became more of an action franchise than survival horror like RE1-3 (and code veronica). My hope is the board game will capture more of that original theme, where it just isn't possible to kill everything on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also hoping that the board game feels like the video game. I need to watch the play through video so I don't know a whole lot. I was able to snag an early bird randomly so I jumped on it. I don't know if I'll back out before the campaign ends.

Seeing that you can avoid the enemies is true to the VG, but how do they follow you and for how long? It was pretty easy to get away from zombies once you knew how to run passed them. Hardly anything in the early RE franchise went through doors and they closed behind you. I think it's interesting they are using an 'open door' mechanic, but I hope it doesn't lead to you being swarmed. It's been about 4 years since I last played RE2, but I don't remember any swarming happening.

Sorry, if some of this is addressed in the play video. I'm having video issues that I won't be able to fix until this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Rhinehart
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Semi-English Nonsense
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, the closest I've ever come to a Resident Evil style board game is Mansions of Madness 2.0. The theme may be different, but the gameplay is incredibly similar (explore a weird location, solve puzzles, try to avoid combat whenever possible). Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gamplay shown in the video is really disappointing. There are very few meaningful decisions and a lot of luck is involved. Compared to Gears of War or Fireteam Zero (which also has a KS running right now) with exciting cardplay this falls very flat on its face for me.
Not talking about the inflated price or the bland artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Wesker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
Wesker wrote:

I feel the same way. If it were anything else but Resident Evil, I'd probably have passed on it. I already have Zombicide (modern and black plague), so this wouldn't be anything unique on my shelf. But, the more limited ammunition and more climactic boss fights was enough to set it apart from Zombicide. At least that's how I justified it in my mind.

The nostalgia really put me over the edge into "buy" territory. RE2 was also my favorite of the franchise. I was sad that the everything from RE4 and onward became more of an action franchise than survival horror like RE1-3 (and code veronica). My hope is the board game will capture more of that original theme, where it just isn't possible to kill everything on the board.

Same here. Loved 0-3 and Code Veronica. RE4 and onwards it went downhill. RE4 was a good game, but not a good Resident Evil game, they should have used that on a new IP or something.

Most board games that rely on too much luck by using things like dice I do not bother with, but for this game I do not care. Really looking forward to it coming out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
The gamplay shown in the video is really disappointing. There are very few meaningful decisions and a lot of luck is involved. Compared to Gears of War or Fireteam Zero (which also has a KS running right now) with exciting cardplay this falls very flat on its face for me.
Not talking about the inflated price or the bland artwork.

Yeah! A Resident Evil game with the Fireteam Zero ruleset would be über awesome!!!
The current ruleset for RE looks rather meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wesker wrote:
rican919 wrote:
Wesker wrote:

Same here. Loved 0-3 and Code Veronica. RE4 and onwards it went downhill. RE4 was a good game, but not a good Resident Evil game, they should have used that on a new IP or something.

Most board games that rely on too much luck by using things like dice I do not bother with, but for this game I do not care. Really looking forward to it coming out

RE7 was a good game as well I will say, but those are my favorites as well. RE2 is my most played game ever and played a big part of my early teenage life. Which is why I'm very disappointed with this kickstarter. That they just took the system from the Dark Souls board game, made a few tweaks and slapped a resident evil skin all over it. It's lazy and I already own this game in Dark Souls flavour. Nostalgia is powerful against me but I think I might just replay my PS1 game instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
Which is why I'm very disappointed with this kickstarter. That they just took the system from the Dark Souls board game, made a few tweaks and slapped a resident evil skin all over it. It's lazy and I already own this game in Dark Souls flavour. Nostalgia is powerful against me but I think I might just replay my PS1 game instead.

Where do they use the DS system ? The system is different but uninspired and bland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
vincentdante wrote:
Which is why I'm very disappointed with this kickstarter. That they just took the system from the Dark Souls board game, made a few tweaks and slapped a resident evil skin all over it. It's lazy and I already own this game in Dark Souls flavour. Nostalgia is powerful against me but I think I might just replay my PS1 game instead.

Where do they use the DS system ? The system is different but uninspired and bland.

Seriously? I guess you haven't played Dark Souls. The bosses are directly ripped from that game with Health dials and AI cards. It has a nearly identical tile based, encounter card/table system to create a "dungeon". Dice mechanics are identical for performing actions, as are the weapon cards, enemy behavior cards etc.

It would be faster to list what's actually new in this game. And I'll give it some credit that they managed to speed up the rounds a bit, Dark Souls took waaay too long.

Btw is Fireteam Zero any good do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:

Seriously? I guess you haven't played Dark Souls. The bosses are directly ripped from that game with Health dials and AI cards. It has a nearly identical tile based, encounter card/table system to create a "dungeon". Dice mechanics are identical for performing actions, as are the weapon cards, enemy behavior cards etc.

It would be faster to list what's actually new in this game. And I'll give it some credit that they managed to speed up the rounds a bit, Dark Souls took waaay too long.

Btw is Fireteam Zero any good do you think?

I own DS but didn't play it myself yet. Waiting for wave 2. I watched multiple DS playthroughs at BeastOfWar.com and now watched RE2 but fell asleep before the boss fight so this similiarity slipped by. I thought the movement on the map and initial objectives were quite different.

I heard Fireteam Zero is good and comparable to Gears of War which I really played and liked alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.