Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Is there any way of blocking my oponents in this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jefferson Lessa
Brazil
flag msg tools
I realize that my question might be impossible to answer, but I believe this is important.

From what I can see, you kind of do what you want, your opponents do what they want, and whoever did it best wins the game. If I see myself losing, is there any way to hinder my opponent's progress so I can catch up? I don't need to know how this work in this game (because that would be a spoiler), but I do want to know if that is in the game in any form.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is still blocking. It's not hard blocking, where you're completely access to a space, but by blocking a space, you're forcing the opponent to give you back your meeple and this is worth 1/2 a free move every time it happens (2 meeples, and the fact that you have to spend a move calling them back when you have none to place)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedLuigi wrote:
I realize that my question might be impossible to answer, but I believe this is important.

From what I can see, you kind of do what you want, your opponents do what they want, and whoever did it best wins the game. If I see myself losing, is there any way to hinder my opponent's progress so I can catch up? I don't need to know how this work in this game (because that would be a spoiler), but I do want to know if that is in the game in any form.


The base game seems to offer it in the following way:

You have two workers; as an action you can place a worker or take your workers back. However if someone goes on an action you have a worker on, your get your worker back without an action.
If you were to use actions you knew your opponent wanted, they would essentially be giving you free turns where they have to recover their workers but you did not.
Assuming you get something you need from the action you preempted them taking, you could in theory catch up with an extra turn or so.

No idea if a blocking mechanism is added at some point in the game - but maybe
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is better than blocking in my opinion. This is optimized efficiency. Essentially taking Growth in Caverna/Agricola without the need to feed. Plus you get to watch your opponent wrestle in that agonizing situation of "UGH but I'll be helping you! But I really neeeeeeeeeeed that spot!!"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Lessa
Brazil
flag msg tools
I guess that could be enough. But I'm hoping for more agressive moves, like discarding objectives that someone might be building up to, damaging resources, this kind of stuff.

I agree that blocking buildings might not be the way to go. I worded myself poorly, it seems

But maybe Charterstone is just not this kind of game, and that is fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damien and Iain answer this well. It's not hard blocking (which I toyed around with in the design process but found it just didn't work in this game), but you're essentially saving the opponent a "retrieve" action if you bump them. You don't want to bump your opponents if you can avoid it, and conversely, you want to place your worker on spaces your opponents are going to use in the immediate future so they'll bump you.

Jefferson, you mentioned a desire to hinder your opponents, and I have to be honest and say that Charterstone isn't a game about hindering opponents--it's a game about outplaying them. There are lots of ways to get points in Charterstone (sometimes just 1-2 points, other times 5-10 points), so throughout each game the leader will change many times and may be settled via end-of-game points (like the reputation track).
36 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Lessa
Brazil
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
Jefferson, you mentioned a desire to hinder your opponents, and I have to be honest and say that Charterstone isn't a game about hindering opponents--it's a game about outplaying them. There are lots of ways to get points in Charterstone (sometimes just 1-2 points, other times 5-10 points), so throughout each game the leader will change many times and may be settled via end-of-game points (like the reputation track).


That settles it. Thanks a lot for your reply! I was fishing for a official response because I know you are passionate enough to keep a close eye on the forums, but this was even faster then I was expecting. I still am going to get my copy, but it's good to know a little better what i'm getting myself into for 12+ plays.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Damien and Iain answer this well. It's not hard blocking (which I toyed around with in the design process but found it just didn't work in this game), but you're essentially saving the opponent a "retrieve" action if you bump them. You don't want to bump your opponents if you can avoid it, and conversely, you want to place your worker on spaces your opponents are going to use in the immediate future so they'll bump you.

Jefferson, you mentioned a desire to hinder your opponents, and I have to be honest and say that Charterstone isn't a game about hindering opponents--it's a game about outplaying them. There are lots of ways to get points in Charterstone (sometimes just 1-2 points, other times 5-10 points), so throughout each game the leader will change many times and may be settled via end-of-game points (like the reputation track).


I'm glad it isn't. I wouldn't play a legacy game where hindering players was an option.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There might be a way to block players, but I don't know how feasible it is. Keep in mind that the resources are limited -- 36 coins and 12 of each resource. For a six player game, that averages to 6 coins and 2 of each resource per player, which sounds like it *might* be a little tight...

Speaking of which, Jamey: if there are fewer than six players, are the available resources reduced? I don't see anything in the currently available rules (or automa rules) about this, and I've gotten the impression that the resource limit has significance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq: From a design perspective, I tend to stay away from scaling mechanisms that require players to consult a chart during setup. The scarcity of resources and coins in Charterstone very rarely impacts play.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Becq: From a design perspective, I tend to stay away from scaling mechanisms that require players to consult a chart during setup. The scarcity of resources and coins in Charterstone very rarely impacts play.

Nothing but good news in this thread if you ask me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't block with workers, but with your influence tokens on some spaces.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Damien and Iain answer this well. It's not hard blocking (which I toyed around with in the design process but found it just didn't work in this game), but you're essentially saving the opponent a "retrieve" action if you bump them. You don't want to bump your opponents if you can avoid it, and conversely, you want to place your worker on spaces your opponents are going to use in the immediate future so they'll bump you.

Jefferson, you mentioned a desire to hinder your opponents, and I have to be honest and say that Charterstone isn't a game about hindering opponents--it's a game about outplaying them. There are lots of ways to get points in Charterstone (sometimes just 1-2 points, other times 5-10 points), so throughout each game the leader will change many times and may be settled via end-of-game points (like the reputation track).


This is one of my favorite "block" mechanisms in worker placement games. Hansa Teutonica has a WONDERFUL "soft block" mechanism too where you get a bumped from the spot, but you get to relocate on a neighbor route while also grabbing an additional "worker" (cube or disc) of that type from the pool and add it to it which saves you an income action. I love it, when I saw the blocking mechanism in this game I became so on board it hurts me to wait till Dec (even though honestly it won't see the table this year). Curious if this'll be the big one in this year's BGG Secret Santa?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McMahon
Australia
Goulburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know this is an old question now, but if anyone is interested in the views of someone who has played the campaign, I would say that disrupting the plans of your opponent is almost impossible in this game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The game itself though, can disrupt plans by changing conditions for each game. You can not necessarily rely on one strategy for 3 or 4 games in a row. Within the conditions set for each game, though, you are pretty free to execute your chosen strategy


You can gain an advantage by anticipating where someone might play and going there first, and this might dissuade them from going there (there are usually many equally viable options on a turn), but you can not stop someone who wants to do something.

Whether you think this is good is really just a personal preference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.