Popular Tags: [View All]
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb

Wondering if anyone has found a good source to buy a set of realistic looking jewels/gems that look like cut gemstones (not raw crystals) in a variety of shapes and colors.

I have seen these

and these

which both look nice, but it would be better yet to get a pack that contains both the "ring cut" diamond shape of the bottom one and the flatter cuts of the top one - without any silver backing of course, these are for games, not making clothes.

Anyone ever found an ultimate plastic gem set for sale? I was surprised at how much difficulty I had even finding the two sets above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get the top set with no mirror backing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
Where did you get the top set with no mirror backing?

Ha, it wasn't easy. I've spent hours wading through hundreds of listings across the internet - Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, Alibaba, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, you name it, trying to find a name for this type of product - sometimes they are called "3D acrylic gems" sometimes "no flatback rhinestones" sometimes "plastic pirate gems" "vase fillers" "wedding favors" etc.

That particular picture was from Etsy. However I believe the Etsy seller is simply buying in bulk from here

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

and reselling small quantities to make a profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly those are about 1" in size which makes them too big for my purposes.

These, on the other hand, are smaller, and glass, so if they could be freed easily from their metal cages and were not flat backed (doesn't seem they are but no way to be sure) they would be better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mayday games had little gemstones on their website (https://www.maydaygames.com/products/gemstones-plastic-gems-...) would those do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Wish they'd list the sizes. Also would like some clear and green ones in there.

This may be the ticket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, it appears pointed back means the back is still coated, just not flat.

Amazing how hard it is to find a faux gem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found the "ring cut" diamond shaped ones before at Dollar Tree, but rarely. Ordering them direct may be easier, if you need the appropriate quantity:

https://www.dollartree.com/Decorative-Acrylic-Gems-2-75-oz-P...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:

... "ring cut" diamond shape of the bottom one and the flatter cuts of the top one - without any silver backing of course...

The bottom picture would be called "round brilliant cut" and the squarish ones are "emerald cut". When they have a reflective backing they are "foil backs".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw those, but they don't say what size they are, they are out of stock, and they don't sell mixture packs. Good find though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
chuft wrote:

... "ring cut" diamond shape of the bottom one and the flatter cuts of the top one - without any silver backing of course...

The bottom picture would be called "round brilliant cut" and the squarish ones are "emerald cut". When they have a reflective backing they are "foil backs".

Thanks. Sadly I have not seen this terminology applied to plastic ones, only to rhinestones with backing and real gems.

For the glass ones above they call them "octagon" not "emerald cut" when I search for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the question is, if a foil backed octagon one was sitting on a table, what angle would you have to be looking at it to notice the foil back? Would it look like a real gem from above and to the side, or obviously look like a foil backed one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like what I want is a variety colored set of "point back unfoiled octagon rhinestones" but no one seems to sell one.

For future reference, this Etsy seller has them, but they cost about $2.50 per stone. That would get expensive fast.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/56970911/glass-jewel-18x13mm-oc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say hit up dollar stores and check their arts/crafts section

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.