Alex Hood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Somewhat strange situation where the Empire sent space units only to where my base was hidden and I then chose to reveal the base and trigger combat. Am I the attacker in this instance?

We ruled I was as it seemed like I was choosing to initiate a battle but if the Empire had brought ground troops and revealed the base that way the Empire would have been the attacker, so it doesn't seem entirely clear cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Klindworth
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The references in the rules are to the "current player", not attackers or defenders. The current player is the player who is currently resolving their turn. In your case, the current player is the Imperial player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
The Rebel player may optionally reveal his base at any time
during one of his turns of the Command Phase.

Rule ref pg11

So Rebel are the current player, you attack first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Stephanie says, if the Rebels are voluntarily revealing their base, it will always be their turn.

The only way the Empire would really be the attacker in cases where the base was revealed would be to land ground forces on the base's system, gain loyalty in the base's system while they have ships there, or playing a mission/card that would cause the base to be revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An important corollary to this is that if the Empire moves to a system with only space units and you have space units both in that system, and in the rebel base which is within that system - you must resolve the combat using only the space units you have an cannot reveal the base in response to the Empire's move. It is only on your next command phase that you can reveal the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
By the way since the rebels can move units to systems adjacent to the rebel base without revealing the base could I have moved my units from the base to the system the base is actually in without revealing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pants101 wrote:
By the way since the rebels can move units to systems adjacent to the rebel base without revealing the base could I have moved my units from the base to the system the base is actually in without revealing?

Yes, this is specifically allowed. You still have to activate the system etc etc.

Note that revealing the base isn't automatic even if the Imperial player knows through deduction that it can't be anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pants101 wrote:

Yes. You activate the Rebel Base space, NOT the system, and tell your opponent.

Incidentally, this is one of many situations where you can lie and cheat. If trust is a problem (between young siblings, for example, before someone goes 'I don't play with cheaters'), take a moment after the game to recap these and show you weren't cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pants101 wrote:

I haven't eyeballed the rules to check, but just going on logic how can a system be adjacent to itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
Pants101 wrote:

I haven't eyeballed the rules to check, but just going on logic how can a system be adjacent to itself?

He means the Rebel Base space and the system in which the Rebel Base is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.