Highlands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claudia F
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to play my first game of Highlands, and going through the rules I found I didn't quite understand some things.

What's the point of the encounter markers?

Where do I place newly hired knights, the soldier, and the cathedral? (The rules only say where workers go.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player's unit lands on an encounter marker you draw an encounter card. If the marker is on a light green square you do the light or positive action on the card. If the encounter marker is on a dark square - either of the dark colors - you do the dark action which is typically a negative action.

The Soldier Knight and Cathedral cost some resources plus the worker so they replace a worker. The worker is removed from the board and the soldier Knight or Cathedral is placed where the worker unit was.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudia F
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"When a player's unit lands on an encounter marker you draw an encounter card. If the marker is on a light green square you do the light or positive action on the card. If the encounter marker is on a dark square - either of the dark colors - you do the dark action which is typically a negative action."

Yes, I understand that. But what do you need the markers for? The encounters are marked on the mat.

"The worker is removed from the board and the soldier Knight or Cathedral is placed where the worker unit was."

Ah, thanks. Now I can finally go ahead and give this a spin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every 3 encounters you complete are worth 1 Victory Point. So, it;s just an easy way of keeping track of how many encounters you complete.

(You don't want to hang on to the encounter cards, because then they don't go back into the deck for the second playthrough of the deck - so you would shorten the game if you kept the cards to track encounters.)

I hope you enjoy the game. Please keep asking questions if you have any more.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudia F
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your swift replies. Now I'm with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eloy Munoz Galvez
Spain
Malaga
Malaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are encounter cards drawn as a result of landing on an encounter marker removed from the game or discarded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Israel is correct, they are discarded onto the discard pile - then shuffled and used again for the second playthrough of the deck (assuming you encounter them during the first playthrough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.