Subject: Variants with first time players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've played a few solo games of TMB so far and I'm really enjoying myself. However, I have already run into what seem to be the main issues I've seen people complain about: Dying before my initiative number comes up and falling behind the power curve (and this is with the Greenhorn rules). Usually I can see what I did wrong, allowing me to plan my next game better. And quite often if I die before my initiative comes up, I just reset the battle and try again, so this doesn't really bother me.

However; I know from experience that this will NOT go over well with my group, so I'm looking at using some of the variants I've seen proposed:

1. Use the number of Progress Points to calculate the BQ, instead of Days.
2. Players can roll their Defense dice before each battle.
2. Failing an encounter still earns one Skill Point.

There will be three (possibly four) of us playing. I'm the only one who has played the game, and the others are probably going to make very sub-optimal choices for a while. Also; we will be using the Greenhorn mode.

Not sure if this will be overkill or not, but I want the group to enjoy their first experience with the game rather than have their teeth kicked in by it, or it'll be tough to get it to the table again.

Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone who has played with some/all of these variants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
I would simply choose your initiative numbers while setting up combat. Still base the individual Gearloc initiatives based on their own die faces, but assume you rolled well and got really lucky.

It would still be a possible outcome; just without the randomness. And it doesn't break anything unintended in terms of possible difficulty or flow.

(I really hate variant rules and avoid them whenever possible. But even I would be okay with what I suggested above.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Drinkle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Pat Dolan wrote:

1. Use the number of Progress Points to calculate the BQ, instead of Days.

I've started played a few times with a similar calculation I found on this forum (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26782913#26782913) where you take your (successful encounters +1) x # of gearlocs. This seems to reduce the chance of a downward spiral. I would say though, it does seem to make the game easier especially with 4 gearlocs.

Pat Dolan wrote:

2. Players can roll their Defense dice before each battle.

Doing this would complete negate picket's innate (since that's exactly what he does for his innate). I don't think this is necessary.

Pat Dolan wrote:

2. Failing an encounter still earns one Skill Point.

Also feel like this is overkill.

I've played the game with 2, 3 and 4 gearlocs and I'd say, like others, that playing with 2 is for sure the hardest mode. I think you'll find that with 4 gearlocs everything just seems a bit easier to handle. I've played the game with 3 inexperienced players, and we were able to do just fine. I'd say give it a shot, without too many rule modifications.

Part of the fun of this game is figuring out how you are going to deal with the overwhelming odds and still manage to come out on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ddrinkle wrote:

Part of the fun of this game is figuring out how you are going to deal with the overwhelming odds and still manage to come out on top.

I completely agree, but there are some members of my group that can instantly sour on new games if they are defeated too quickly/brutally. Whether they could have done something differently, or learned a lesson for the next game, is irrelevant.

However, once they've played a game a couple of times, they don't seem to mind getting overwhelmed and then learning how to recover, or simply plan better for the next time.

Maybe I'll start with using Progress instead of Days for calculating the BQ, and decide on the fly whether to grant a Skill Point for a failed encounter based on how they are reacting to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
So it seems like the game is a lot easier at 4 players count. The problem is im always playing at 2 players or solo. Do you know if I could tweak the difficulty by allowing the ennemies to have max 3 or may be only 2 baddies on the battle mat at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.