Subject: Does a full campaign really only take an hour? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have to do 5-6 scenarios... Just with changing around the boards and placing different monsters each scenario alone sounds time consuming.. and that not counting the actual playing part. Can you really get through the whole thing in an hour? 2-3 seems more likely but an hour?

So if new ppl are playing episodic mode then the scenarios are so short its over in 10-15mins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
No, each scenario takes about an hour to play (not including setup time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expect 6-8 hours for a full campaign when factoring in setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I've played 4 player a single scenario took around 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
Where did you get the idea of 1 hour from???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
Can you really get through the whole thing in an hour?

Not on this planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
Where did you get the idea of 1 hour from???

BGG and the back of the box say 60 minutes.

I agree, though, that 60 minutes only applies to the very simple scenarios and if there is not too much pvp going on. 2 hours is a safer estimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
60-120 minutes is for a single scenario, though. His question is for the whole campaign, hence the overall "not in our timeline" replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdaffonso wrote:
60-120 minutes is for a single scenario, though. His question is for the whole campaign, hence the overall "not in our timeline" replies.

I guess that I missed that before. I saw an hour and assumed that it was for only a scenario. I would allow 8+ hours for a full campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Episodic mode it is then. I dont have ppl in my geoup hardcore enough to play ine game for 5+ hours lol. They canbarely handle 3 hours lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
Episodic mode it is then. I dont have ppl in my geoup hardcore enough to play ine game for 5+ hours lol. They canbarely handle 3 hours lol

The game has sheets to track your campaign progress from session to session. No need to play an entire campaign in one sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, all campaign games I've seen use the same convention: play time is per session/scenario/chapter, not for the entire campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a full campaign at BGGCON a couple years ago and we had to call it halfway through the next to last scenario after 10 hours. We had a couple of AP-prone players but I can't seeing it taking less than 10 had they played more efficiently AND we finished the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:

Play one or two scenarios with them, then move on to something else. Come back the next game night and play another scenario or tow. That is how the game was designed to be played.

Though I should point out that most people who enjoy the game are dying to get back in and play the next scenario as each one finishes as they want to try out the new gear that they bought or want to settle a grudge with a monster or another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Well i know about the sheets. The difference with this game and others are that others arent made spefically for campaign play with episodic as an option. Instead theyre made for epusodic play with campaign as an option. Thus episodic in this game seems rather bland and barebones. Playing over multiple session isnt an option cause we only play games that take 1+ hours to finish twice a month. So that would go on toolong as we have about 10+ other games wr have to get to the table and play at least once. If it werent for that then yeah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warran Palmer
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
We just tried the experiment.
Arcadia Quest Beyond the grave campaign.

Started drafting of heroes at 11.00am. With roughly 1.5 hours total breaks for lunch and dinner, final boss killed at 1.15a.m. the next day. I would say that if we were not all absolutely buggered, we would have fought harder on the last boss and taken another 1/2 hour easy to try to prevent the ultimate winner taking it out.

Soooo.... give or take, depending on map selection and break length.....12 - 14 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joseph menchey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with 2,3, and 4 players recently. The first and second map seemed to take 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and 60 minutes respectively. Only the three player game have I reached the fourth map and that map lasted 1 hr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.