Unicornus Knights» Forums » General

Subject: Bad for 5 to 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Baird
United States
California
flag msg tools
My gaming group tends to be average about 5 or 6 players and we haven't yet felt like it was worth breaking into bands to play smaller player count games. I've been interested in this game for a while, but I see that the community thinks the game is not good for that player count. So I'm just hoping someone can explain to me why it fails at that point.

I see in the rules that the number of actions decreases at 5 players but not again at 6. So is it an issue of pacing per player turn or maybe some effect on the game difficulty? Not enough room on the map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the community

Three votes. It hasn't been out long enough to tell if there's a weak player count or it's an individual group's issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Elucidator

Texas
msg tools
I've played it with every player count from 2 to 6, and the balance of the game doesn't change dramatically, though at the extremes (3 and 6) it is more noticeable (3 being harder, 6 being easier).

With only 3 or 4 characters on the board the player's map coverage is less, but with with more actions you can still get a lot done on a single turn. Frequently this translates into getting more support cards or resources. In a 3 or 4 character game (2-4 players), the stronger combat characters are favored.

With 5 or 6 players, your map coverage is much better, but with fewer actions you can't individually do as much. Player coordination is still critical, but more players on the board means that many more avenues of action to evaluate on every round and turn. Unless your group is the type to fly by the seat of their pants, time between player turns increases as a result, though it is partially balanced out by having fewer actions to have to plan on individual turns. Playing with 5 or 6 players is where the support characters will shine, because they can help fill the logistics gap that extra actions provide in a game with fewer players. Also, the group is less likely to have as many support cards on hand beyond the start of the game, since with fewer actions per turn there are less opportunities to risk an action on drawing a card.

If your group has people who get bored with games where time between turns is more than a few minutes, you may want to play this one with a smaller headcount first to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short version: not recommended for 5+ due to downtime issues, best 3-4.

We played a 6 players game, 2 people who read the rules, 1 who played it before (but didn't read the rules), 3 new players include two who were relative new to board games. The game took us 4-5h. Ugh. Terrible downtime - I had my 30 seconds turn pre-planned, then had to find something to do for 10 minutes while some newbies and the analysis-paralysis member of the group mulled over their options. Your mileage may vary based on your group, but I will NOT suggest it for 5+ again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.