Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Well heck, that's just awesome. My gaming group really like Gorechosen so 4 player Shadespire should fit right in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you play separate warbands. Since you can position your home board (not sure the correct term) connected to others in multiple ways, I imagine the layouts could get crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I hope that means there will be board expansions, instead of having to by multiple core games just for extra boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy tonight, rulebook references buying a second core set for 3-4 player.

In addition to two more boards, you'll need generic cards that are added to each faction's decks. Extra dice help as well.

The only thing I worry about is buying a second core and then GW coming out with a new core in 6-12 months. While mirror matches are fine, I'd rather avoid them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I think I'll stick with Gorechosen for 3-4 player games, even 5-8 with my custom board. I'll wait and see what else GW comes out with for Shadespire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just find some other folks who are also getting into Shadespire. They'll already have the extra core then.

This game is meant for organized play anyways so it shouldn't be that hard.

I think it's definitely supposed to be more like a collectible game where everyone has a couple warbands and their own decks, etc. as opposed to one person providing everything for 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Mattr0polis wrote:
as opposed to one person providing everything for 4 players.

You've not met my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Grodd1016 wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:
as opposed to one person providing everything for 4 players.

You've not met my gaming group.

Yup, I buy everything for my group. That includes full armies for tabletop games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Listening to Uncle Atom's youtube chat this morning, he said he was told at GenCon that there would be Shadespire boards sold separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

The only thing I worry about is buying a second core and then GW coming out with a new core in 6-12 months. While mirror matches are fine, I'd rather avoid them.

There will undoubtedly be a lot of AoS players that will pay you for the miniatures out of your second copy. I don't think we'll ever see a new boxed Shadespire release in the products life cycle, it has been confirmed that the order of the day are faction expansion boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonSilvarro wrote:
charlest wrote:

There will undoubtedly be a lot of AoS players that will pay you for the miniatures out of your second copy.

I'd do it the other way around. I know a lot of AoS players really want that female stormcast eternal and helmet-free champion for their armies, as they're very uncommon. I think we'll see a lot of "mini-free" versions of the game turning up on eBay.

Alternatively, just wait and see. GW have already announced two expansions, and themed card sleeves. This early evidence, combined with knowledge of the sheer amount of extras they push out for Blood Bowl, suggests they will be selling extra boards and dice soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonSilvarro wrote:
I don't think we'll ever see a new boxed Shadespire release in the products life cycle

I'm not so sure on this.

At the NOVA Shadespire seminar someone asked a question like: "Why is it called 'Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire' instead of just 'Warhammer Underworlds' or just 'Shadespire'? Will there be a new cycle or box every so often that changes up the location, like say, 'Warhammer Underworlds: Sigmar's House?"

To which they answered: "That would be a very good theory, wouldn't it..."

So my best guess is; if you look at the player cards they are numbered like 1/437 or something like that with nowhere near 400+ cards in the box, so I'd guess that there will be 'Shadespire' expansions for like 2 years, filling out these 400+ cards, at which point a new core box (ex. Warhammer Underworlds: Sigmar's House) will release and start a new rotation of cards, new boards, and theme in a new place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If the game is a massive success for them then I can see new starters with different boards, minis and cards.

I believe the rumor is that there will be war scrolls for the Shadespire minis. It's be nice if there cards for Silver Tower too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
DonSilvarro wrote:
I don't think we'll ever see a new boxed Shadespire release in the products life cycle

I'm not so sure on this.

At the NOVA Shadespire seminar someone asked a question like: "Why is it called 'Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire' instead of just 'Warhammer Underworlds' or just 'Shadespire'? Will there be a new cycle or box every so often that changes up the location, like say, 'Warhammer Underworlds: Sigmar's House?"

To which they answered: "That would be a very good theory, wouldn't it..."

So my best guess is; if you look at the player cards they are numbered like 1/437 or something like that with nowhere near 400+ cards in the box, so I'd guess that there will be 'Shadespire' expansions for like 2 years, filling out these 400+ cards, at which point a new core box (ex. Warhammer Underworlds: Sigmar's House) will release and start a new rotation of cards, new boards, and theme in a new place.

'Sigmar's House' might as well be a 'big box' expansion with boards and cards, not a stand-alone game. We don't know yet and I'm guessing Geedub themselves don't know yet - they might have a nebulous idea for a Sigmar's House setting, but whether it will be a new standalone box, a setting expansion or something that will end up scrapped entirely will be determined by how well the first 'wave' of product sells.

I agree that it is a logical conclusion that this first 'wave' of product will include cards 1 through 437 and all those products are already designed, if not in print right now. However, I do not think this 'block' of products includes alternative settings as of yet. The base game comes with 96 cards, every warband expansion has 60. Assuming limited quantities of reprints, it shouldn't take long to fill out the 400-odd cards with just new warband packs - four additional factions are previewed in the rulebook and there have been murmurs of Stormcast and Bloodbound getting alternative expansion box warbands. That would total 360 cards from the six warband boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Got my copy tonight, rulebook references buying a second core set for 3-4 player.

In addition to two more boards, you'll need generic cards that are added to each faction's decks. Extra dice help as well.

So you wouldn't be able to just make copies of the boards and buy additional factions in order to play up to 3 or 4 players? Do you really need more core cards from the base sets? Seems kinda lame to have to purchase the core set twice when I'd rather invest in different factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if we'll want more cards from the base set, it may be possible we want more copies of some of the neutrals. You could actually photocopy the boards, that would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool. It would be great if that was an option. I'll definitely consider it. Looking forward to your review on this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GW's current line on 3-4 player games is this, but I'm sure it will be possible just by purchasing expansions and other "accessories" I think they will release.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/05/shadespire-wi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hill
United Kingdom
newtownards
county down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 4 player last week. I'm the only one with this in my group. I scanned all 4 boards and printed on A3. Scanned 2 copies of objective cards 1-5 (and put in sleeves), then used big old pennies for the activation tokens.

Not so much a cheap way to play (I have bought the 2 expansion squads and 4 different sets of sleeves), but worked well enough until I see what board options are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stuart_greyabbey wrote:
I played 4 player last week. I'm the only one with this in my group. I scanned all 4 boards and printed on A3. Scanned 2 copies of objective cards 1-5 (and put in sleeves), then used big old pennies for the activation tokens.

Not so much a cheap way to play (I have bought the 2 expansion squads and 4 different sets of sleeves), but worked well enough until I see what board options are released.

What are your thoughts on 4 player? Interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hill
United Kingdom
newtownards
county down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will definitely try again. It actually ended up mostly as two separate combats (me - skellingtons Vs Brian - chaos) and (Peter - orcs Vs Stephen - stormcast). I also hadn't changed the core decks. Peter has played this 3 times and seems to concentrate on attacking and stephen was the closet target. I had set the boards and figures up randomly to get into the game quickly (this was a learning game), but had actually set my slow moving skellingtons far away from most opponents. Due to Brian and my own initial objectives we ended up butting heads. A good learning game, but I've now changed all 4 factions decks (hopefully) to suit.

Looks wise the scanned boards and 1-5 objective cards worked well enough and the scanned items (plus all expansion figures and cards) fit in the core box.

Now just to paint the remaining 14 figures.

Obviously the 4 player game took considerably longer - possibly over an hour and a half. Would expect this to speed up with further plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried the artifact/King of the Hill variant multiplayer from the back of the rulebook?

Seems like that would stop multiplayer games from just turning into 2 mini combats, or a weird kingmaking issue in a 3-player game.

I think I will like it better than normal multiplayer, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Really disappointing that playing with 3 or 4 players means buying 2 base sets and having 2 of everything just to get another board or two. I'm out until they have a better solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hill
United Kingdom
newtownards
county down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, see my post above (I scanned the boards and cards to add extra players - worked grand)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.