12 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Epic Monster Hydra and Agency Quarantine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wielgosz Mateusz
msg tools
Hello guys! How are you doing?

Our gaming group decided to replay Eldritch Horror and we stumbled upon some weird interactions with Hydra.

First one: Advancing the active mystery by 1, that means putting 2 damage on Hydra even though nobody has the Artifact Sword of Y'ha-Talla; do we still damage the monster since it's not a Combat Encounter?

Second one: I pulled out an Agency Quarantine asset, so can I choose the Hydra to do 4 damage to her and thus killing her, or does the character that uses the asset needs the Sword of Y'ha-Talla?

P.S One more problem

Investigator is closing a Portal Gate, takes FATAL mental damage dies in the process, but he did succeed to close a PORTAL before dying, what's the timing here? Does he still close a gate or dies trying?

English is not my first language, there might be some grammatical errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the "advance the active mystery" phrases it as reducing the epic monster's toughness (max health) by 2, so you place the tokens on the mystery itself and consider the hydra as having 2 less max health.

I think on the second question, the hydra wouldn't take damage. (Depends on the exact text of the mystery, if you can provide that.)

You said that the gate was closed before he took the sanity damage, so I'd say that the gate was closed successfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Woods
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:

You said that the gate was closed before he took the sanity damage, so I'd say that the gate was closed successfully.

I agree the way I always understood it is that things happen in the order presented on the card, and that is the way our group has always played it. So if the gate closed before losing the sanity I agree the Gate is closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i cannot think of a single instance in this game where this is possible, can you please explain it further?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iGniGhted wrote:
i cannot think of a single instance in this game where this is possible, can you please explain it further?

Where which is possible? Dying while closing a gate? Try other world card # 39's pass effect:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Quote:
You receive a telepathic image of a way home. Close this gate. The disk begins to alter your brain ([will] -1). If you pass, you use this to your benefit, gain a BOON condition. If you fail, the changes are irreversible; lose 1 Sanity and gain a Head Injury Condition.

If you do this, it's possible to die after closing the gate. The gate closing happens before the effect that might kill you. (Yes, you do things in order on the card, until you reach the end of the card or something happens to interrupt the flow of the card, like death.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wielgosz Mateusz
msg tools
Thanks for all the responses guys, but I still do not know what to do while I want to attack the Hydra Epic Monster with the asset Agency Quarantine, do I need the sword or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pätrìk te Morìs Kìrìstin'itan

New Mexico
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
croquette wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys, but I still do not know what to do while I want to attack the Hydra Epic Monster with the asset Agency Quarantine, do I need the sword or not?

Hydra: "This Epic Monster cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact."

Advance the active Mystery: "If the active Mystery requires an Epic Monster to be defeated, place two Health on the card (not the Monster token - PtMK). The Epic Monster's toughness is reduced by one for each Health on the active Mystery."

Health isn’t Toughness, so you’re okay. (I can’t find the ruling off the top of my head, but if you lower an Epic Monster's Toughness below its current Health damage, yes, you do defeat it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KentenMakto wrote:
croquette wrote:

Hydra: "This Epic Monster cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact."

Advance the active Mystery: "If the active Mystery requires an Epic Monster to be defeated, place two Health on the card (not the Monster token - PtMK). The Epic Monster's toughness is reduced by one for each Health on the active Mystery."

Health isn’t Toughness, so you’re okay. (I can’t find the ruling off the top of my head, but if you lower an Epic Monster's Toughness below its current Health damage, yes, you do defeat it.)

Just to clarify this: as he said, advancing the mystery doesn't damage the Hydra, so you don't need the sword to do it. Agency quarantine does damage the Hydra, so you do need the sword for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wielgosz Mateusz
msg tools
My God, there is so much controversial stuff in here, I still do not know if I can damage the Hydra Epic Monster with the Agency Quarantine asset card without having the sword in my hand????????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the monster's text:
Quote:
This Epic Monster cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the Sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact.
Toughness is equal to [investigators] +2

Therefore, on your turn, if you do not have the Sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact, you cannot put damage markers on the Hydra. In any fashion: combat, agency quarantine, dynamite, shriveling spell... none of it works.

If, on your turn, you do have the Sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact on your investigator, you can do any type of damage imaginable to the Hydra. Combat, agency quarantine, dynamite, Tokyo... it's all good.

The part that is tripping you up is the advancing the active mystery stuff. From the rule book on that:
Quote:
If the active Mystery requires an Epic Monster to be defeated, place two Health on the card (not the monster). The Epic Monster's toughness is reduced by 1 for each Health on the Active Mystery.

You are not damaging the monster by advancing the active mystery, you are reducing its toughness instead. So you do not need the Sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact. What happens is that, if you advance the active mystery by 1, you're making it so that instead of the Hydra's toughness being [investigators] +2, its toughness becomes [investigators] +0.

If, somehow, you advance the active mystery a second time, its toughness drops again, becoming [investigators] -2.

If you go far enough, you can drop its toughness to 0, defeating it. But that takes an insane amount of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
croquette wrote:
My God, there is so much controversial stuff in here, I still do not know if I can damage the Hydra Epic Monster with the Agency Quarantine asset card without having the sword in my hand????????

Firstly, when you have some specific interactions of cards, it's good to actually provide the exact card text (or link to one), because for your question, it's already written clearly in the card text.

Xelto G wrote:
This Epic Monster cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the Sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact.
Toughness is equal to [investigators] +2

Simple answer: Active Investigator + Sword Artifact = Successful damage (of any kind).

Long answer:
1. Active investigator means the investigator that's currently taking his turn (during action phase), or resolving his encounter (during encounter phase) or the lead investigator (during mythos phase).

Active Investigator wrote:
Active investigator refers to the investigator currently performing actions or resolving an encounter. During the Mythos Phase, the Lead Investigator is the active investigator.

2. So, if YOU have the artifact, you can damage Hydra in any way, during your turn (with items or abilities), during encounter phase (usually Tokyo), and if you are also the lead investigator, during Mythos phase.

3. If you don't have the artifact, you cannot deal damage in any way.

Extra:
Advance active mystery reduces TOUGHNESS, so you can do it without conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Addendum: If Kane grants someone an action (to Shrivel the Hydra, say), the target investigator needs the sword, not Kane - his action grant also confers "activeness" for the duration of that action (whoever is doing a thing is active investigator, basically).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.