9 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Painting Progress: Sleeper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Core game paint up here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1620097/core-game-painting-...
Opener of the Way: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1668546/expansion-painting-...
Wind-Walker: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1994437/expansion-painting-...

After a somewhat lengthy hiatus, I'm back painting Cthulhu Wars! (OS3 has a lot to do with inspiring me)

Wizards:

To be honest, because this model was really difficult to paint (those curled wings make it impossible to paint a lot of details), I kind of sped through it and finished in 2 sessions. =P

These guys are weird... their torsos are grafted into this flying... thing. Originally, I had thought those big rib-like things in the creature's mouth were the wizards mutated hands gripping his mount, but it turns out they're closer to teeth or claws that start outside of the mouth and curl into it. There are even fingers that reach into the back of the mouth (more noticeable on the right set of "teeth").

Serpent Men:

These guys were pretty standard fair, but I did try painting a "band" of highlight on the curvature of the cobra hood area and straight down the center of the back of their necks. I've never really done that kind of thing before...

Formless Spawn:

I was tempted to try and paint these guys as kind of orange gelatinous things, but the lore says they're black. Though if I'm being honest, I mainly just wanted to try painting a wet looking surface with a bunch of tiny specular highlights like with the Shoggoths. The original paint job is the gold standard, so I decided to try my hand at it. The fiery insides are a ham-fisted way to bring in the faction color, but seeing as my Tsathoggua is rising from lava, it seems to fit. =) Self-justification ftw!

I much prefer painting single miniatures... I can't help it, for some reason if there's a number of the same model, my attention span and patience gets divided by however many models I have to paint over and over again. With these, I tried a slightly different approach. Instead of batch-painting, I took each model to about 80% done (with the black and highlights anyway) before moving on... but in doing so, my methods kind of changed from model to model. By the end of it, I painted the 4th model with a different approach from the first... so I did allow myself to go back and fix some things up, but the highlights are a little inconsistent. In the end, I think if I only had to paint one, I'd have invested the time to get the highlights buttery smooth... but for now, I'm ok with how these turned out.

Good enough for the table top.

Tsathoggua:

The Angry Muppet!

Since Sleeper is the orange faction, I had to kind of force the faction color in—the lava and its OSL help "orange" him up a bit, along with painting his warts as gelatinous orange warts. I went for a pallid flesh kind of approach (he's been sleeping underground for how many millennia? I don't imagine much sun tanning going on) and white fur. I didn't want to give him any iris/pupils because let's face it, blank eyes are just scarrier... and I wanted to give him glowing green eyes to contrast the orange (and I wanted to practice more OSL).

OSL is still something I want to work on more... the pallid flesh approach isn't dark enough to really make the lava's OSL as effective as it could be, same with the eyes... so I tried darkening those areas more than I normally would have with this kind of flesh coloring. I dunno... maybe I need to brighten the light source as well as the reflected light.

The glowing eyes also kind of bothered me. While there's plenty of bumpy areas to catch the light, the sculpt of his eyelids made him look sleepy (fitting), which kind of takes away the menace. Anyway, OSL is a difficult thing for me and I do want to work on it more in the future... lessons learned, though I'm undecided if my dissatisfaction with the eyes' OSL is because of the paint job or the sculpt's "sleepy" look just not doing it for me. =P

And here's a family portrait:

I chose not to paint any of the cultists since I'll be getting the unique cultist sculpts with OS3... This saves me time. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
River Lethe
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All really great, but those Formless Spawn are fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiverLethe wrote:
All really great, but those Formless Spawn are fantastic!

Kinda' obvious which figures I enjoyed painting most, huh... =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slugger Baloney
msg tools
Do you ave a guide showing how you did this? What paints you used, what primer, was the brush or airbrush, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SluggerBaloney wrote:
Do you ave a guide showing how you did this? What paints you used, what primer, was the brush or airbrush, etc.

Hmmm, I don't have a guide, no. But generally speaking, I use Vallejo Game Color and Model Color along with a few GW paints.

The above was all brush work with airbrush only used for priming.

After base coating, I use a lot of glazing for color variation (and trying that approach with OSL) and a bunch of other methods to try and get a decent blend when highlighting or shading like layering, glazing, and primarily wet blending and feathering. The latter two are fastest for me, and gives the smoothest result if the surface, and size of the area being blended, are right. =)

But that's all generally speaking. Are you asking about anything in particular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wanted to let you know I think you did an incredible job on these. Looks like you are getting even better at painting than your work on the original factions which was already impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimlox wrote:
I just wanted to let you know I think you did an incredible job on these. Looks like you are getting even better at painting than your work on the original factions which was already impressive.

Thanks! I took a break to work on “The Others” and learned a lot trying new things. Now I’m actually thinking about re-painting or touching up some of the original Great old ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slugger Baloney
msg tools
I really like how you did the blending, especially on Black Goat. Any guides you used/video tutorials you would recommend for someone trying to learn that technique?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SluggerBaloney wrote:
I really like how you did the blending, especially on Black Goat. Any guides you used/video tutorials you would recommend for someone trying to learn that technique?

Shub-Niggurath was a mess of techniques. Lots of glazing in the body folds, the tentacle tips were just air brushed to save time, standard feathering with a damp brush for the rest of the blends.

Feathering being I put down some paint (moderately thinned, but thicker than a glaze) somewhat heavily (as in not just a thin coat), and then with a damp brush, I blend it out. I don't have any vids I can show you, but if you hit up YouTube and look up Two Brush Blending, you'll see what I'm talking about. Two Brush Blending is just feathering, but using a second brush as the damp brush to feather with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.