Hide
11 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Which curse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Davidson
msg tools
I have not attempted a play of the game yet. The book recommends that players start their first game with the VG curse, however, I've seen a few different reviewers (online and offline) that say the VG curse is the longest and most confusing (lots of dead ends and wandering about) of the curses to play. I am playing with a group that I know will not enjoy the experience if it doesn't keep moving.

What curse would people recommend trying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Brace yourself, Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voracious Goddess is meant to be played first for a reason. Play it and wander around, or play something else and wander around a lot more and get frustrated because the other curse will assume you'll know the location of several things from having played VG first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What people have to remember is that VG was the whole "7th Continent" game before kickstarter stretch goals kicked it. It was originally designed to be the whole game, not an introduction. The other curses are tacked on to that framework.

I would suggest you start at the beginning of VG, with a goal of reaching the mainland. That is achievable in one session (2-3 hours), if one person knows the rules, and teaches most of the basic concepts of the game. Then poll the group on whether they want to make camp (save the game) or proceed. If the group is split, you can schedule a time for a subgroup to reconvene on another night to break camp.

In other words, test the waters, move ahead with the most interested on the first curse. You can then circle back and reengage some of those without patience for the long quest when starting on the next curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Amey
United States
Eastern Shore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't be surprised when you fail to lift the curse on your first attempt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crysknife wrote:

+1. I died within a hour....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crysknife wrote:

Or your 2nd or 3rd attempt either!

Came here to write what @Randiv wrote above. You can see over 90% of the game mechanics in action in that first 2-3 hrs from the starting location. I would encourage you to poke around and try different things.. this is how you experience the what the 7th Continent has to offer. If after 3 hrs, your group is bored and thinks the game sucks, they are not going to enjoy the next 10-15 hrs required to lift the curse. If they like it, you can rest assured that they will enjoy the remainder of the first curse.

The other great thing is that people can come and go during your campaign. If you have 4, but someone can't join one week, you can have someone sit in or just play without their character and have them join back the next time. This is a pretty unprecedented feature and really great for a game that can take 20 hrs to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You really shouldn't attempt any other curse than VG on your first playthrough.

I love not doing what the designer told me but this time stick to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VG has a very clear map that shows you exactly where to go. Some people either didn't realize there was a map (?) or chose not to use it so they wandered around. If you want to wander aimlessly and explore by all means, but for VG the game is pretty explicit about what to do.

All the other curses kind of throw you in the continent and expect you to be able to orient yourself, going off prior playthroughs without a ton of direction. Starting with these will definitely result in wandering around lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ADavidson wrote:
I have not attempted a play of the game yet. The book recommends that players start their first game with the VG curse, however, I've seen a few different reviewers (online and offline) that say the VG curse is the longest and most confusing (lots of dead ends and wandering about) of the curses to play. I am playing with a group that I know will not enjoy the experience if it doesn't keep moving.

It's the only one I've completed so far, but it's pretty straight forward with maps and clues on where to head. I did one attempt of Offering to the Guardians (after getting Voracious Goddess in one, albeit long, attempt) and I'm finding myself somewhat aimlessly exploring at this point.

In summary: VG is possibly the longest, but I think it's also likely the most obvious of where to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archr wrote:
ADavidson wrote:

It's the only one I've completed so far, but it's pretty straight forward with maps and clues on where to head. I did one attempt of Offering to the Guardians (after getting Voracious Goddess in one, albeit long, attempt) and I'm finding myself somewhat aimlessly exploring at this point.

In summary: VG is possibly the longest, but I think it's also likely the most obvious of where to go.
Offering is quite long as well, possibly longer than VG, even once you figure out what to do. And death is even more of a setback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.