Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Hobbit» Forums » Rules

Subject: About encounter Smaug and if it continues to move after an adventure fail. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Maioni
Brazil
Sroocaba
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

When encounter Smaug, we move bilbo to the final adventure, all player get 3 provisions and we start to resolve the final adventure cards.

Question 1 - Smaug remains in he's last space or also goes to the final adventure space?

Question 2 - If Smaug remains in he's last space, after fail an adventure card and pick a dragon tile, or all players pass a adventure card, Smaug remains moving one space to get to Lake Town?

Question 3 - And if he continues moving, and finally reaches the LakeTown the game is over? And of course, win the player with most jewels.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules don't say to move Bilbo to the final adventure when you meet Smaug, there really aren't going to be any "official" answers to your questions. When you use a house rule like that, you'll need to come up with your own answers.

Playing by-the-book, there's nothing that says when you encounter Smaug that you go straight to the end. Just keep playing, the Smaug marker really only acts as a timer that will end the game early if he reaches Laketown. There's nothing special that happens when Bilbo meets or passes Smaug. In fact, if you play with this house rule, the last part of the game board is going to be pretty useless since you'll almost never get to that point in the game without Smaug moving at least a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maioni
Brazil
Sroocaba
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my portuguese rule book, it says that we go directly to the final adventure when encounter Smaug.

This way I move Bilbo to the last adventure, get 3 provisions and start the adventure deck 4.

But the rulebook says nothing about SMaug continue moving after a adventure fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird that they would add that to the Portuguese rules, it's not in the English version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From past discussions regarding the rulebooks, seems the English ones (in the box and online) omit stuff that other language rules have in them (French is another with more stuff). Especially with regard to Smaug and interaction with party on the final section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maioni
Brazil
Sroocaba
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does you have a link to the french or italian rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
From past discussions regarding the rulebooks, seems the English ones (in the box and online) omit stuff that other language rules have in them (French is another with more stuff). Especially with regard to Smaug and interaction with party on the final section.

To me, it seems like the English version makes more sense, at least in this specific case. Having the game end when you reach Smaug basically makes about half the last part of the track worthless, as I can't imagine ever playing a game where Smaug never moves. Why put icons there if they will never, ever be used?

Frankly, even if I found out that was the "official" rule, I'd ignore it, as it doesn't make any sense to me and the game seems much more fun playing it by just continuing on. Smaug is just a timer, nothing more. Especially since it seems playing it the way Daniel is describing just opens up a bunch of unanswered questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one question would be, which edition came out first? Looking at the Versions list here on BGG it looks like the English one did, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was. I think Knizia is German, but it's possible that his latest games tend to be released in English first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maioni
Brazil
Sroocaba
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's think about the Hobbit book, the dwarfs reach the mountain and Smaug goes to Lake City.

After bilbo reach Smaug, I guess we should move Bilbo to the mountain, and Samug continues going to the lake city.

Smaug stay in the space, and continues moving to lake city.

If the dwarfs complete all the adventure 4 deck without Smaug reaches the Lake City, the dwarfs win.

But if smaug reaches the Lake City until dwarfs complete all the adventure deck 4, it's a game over.

What do you think about it? Could be possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sniperdmaa wrote:
Let's think about the Hobbit book, the dwarfs reach the mountain and Smaug goes to Lake City.

After bilbo reach Smaug, I guess we should move Bilbo to the mountain, and Samug continues going to the lake city.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think Bilbo SHOULD move to the mountain immediately. To me, that makes the last few spaces of the board a waste, unless a player gets really, really, really lucky ans Smaug never moves before he gets there.

Keep in mind, the moving along the track is pretty abstract. (And strictly speaking, Smaug never moved until Bilbo got there and woke him up, so there's no reason "thematically" for him to start moving any earlier than that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maioni
Brazil
Sroocaba
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the point, failure to adventure implies losing a space, this is a penalty, you can no longer access these spaces.

That's why after meet Smaug bilbo "jumps" to the final adventure, get the provisions and starts the final adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sniperdmaa wrote:
This is the point, failure to adventure implies losing a space, this is a penalty, you can no longer access these spaces.

So why print anything on those spaces at all? The chances of Smaug being at the mountain when Bilbo gets there are almost zero - I've never seen it happen.

I think I'll stick with the English rules, they make more sense to me. Plus, it makes for a little longer game, which I think is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maioni
Brazil
Sroocaba
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't solve an adenture card, you can pass your turn for the next player solve it.

That way you can avoid an adventure fail!

But if all player pass the adventure card, smaug moves one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sniperdmaa wrote:
If you can't solve an adenture card, you can pass your turn for the next player solve it.

That way you can avoid an adventure fail!

But if all player pass the adventure card, smaug moves one space.

Again, I've yet to play a game where EVERY adventure card for the entire game was a success with no failures. And it's not uncommon where you think you can succeed but get a really horrendous roll, too.

To each their own. I will continue playing it the way I have been based on the English rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.