8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions for introducing my father rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael L
msg tools
Hello everybody,

so long story short i want to introduce my father to board gaming since his health and psychological state are not very good. I think it will do us some good to have a nice time with some games and cheer him up. Problem is he is not convinced that board games are something worth looking into.

Do you have any suggestions for this matter? I will be looking mainly for co-op games, average lenght ~45 mins and medium diffulcty (?). Not sure about the last though, maybe even light.

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
Forbidden Island is the obvious suggestion here. Hanabi may also work if his memorization skills are still ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cherrish wrote:
Problem is he is not convinced that board games are something worth looking into.

He may be right. Watching movies together might work better. Active thinking may lead to frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
My honest advice is to take a step back and think about why you're doing this and if he'd really enjoy it. If he's not into games, maybe he's just not into games and that's okay. Better to enjoy your time with him than try to get him to do something he's not into. That said, you know him better than I do, and if you think he'd actually enjoy it but is resistant for whatever reason, I've got suggestions too.

Does he play any traditional card games? If so you might want to start there and go use that as kind of a sideways way of getting there. I used to play a lot of Cribbage with my grandma, and in general I've found that older generations tend to be a lot more on board for card games than something bright and colorful that might look like a toy. There are modern games inspired by traditional games all over the place, if he's into Hearts maybe a more modern trick-taking game like Diamonds or Cobras would be a good idea. Hanabi is a good example of a modern cooperative game that looks like a traditional card game.

Otherwise, my question back to you is what's he interested in? Does he have any hobbies? Sometimes the best way to get a non-gamer interested in a game is to tie it back in to something they're already passionate about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Pandemic Iberia. It's a great game with a terrific look that might appeal to him. The rules are relatively simple and you can scale difficulty on your own (fewer epidemics, larger hand size, more event cards in deck)

Another might be Flash Point: Fire Rescue in the family mode, which is quite simple.

Enjoy your time with your Dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cherrish wrote:
so long story short i want to introduce my father to board gaming since his health and psychological state are not very good.

From this, I tend to think the starting point should be simple dice or card games. Something for you to make a connection without the activity being very burdensome.

Do solitary puzzles like crosswords or sudoko appeal to him ? I make the comparison that games are interactive puzzle solving. But if that intellectual effort is beyond him ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Laytonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a non-gamer, but she does enjoy playing Five Crowns, which is basically rummy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he played some games any at all in his younger years like chess, cards checkers etc start there but let him win a couple of times. If nothing then it has to be a game witch peaks his interest. Maybe quarto is good everyone played the game where your supposed to get five in a row with circles and crosses on a net paper and quarto is in 3d that is supposed to be cool but remember to let him win because if he feels stupid he will stop immidiately.

But it needs to be a theme that he enjoys might be hunting or cars (formula de is quite easy with lots of different dices supposed to symbolice the number of dont know the word for it) or gardening! But don't choose a game with to high complexity rating her on bgg not over 2 for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.