BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas List Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
I'm putting together a early Christmas list for ME and want to get games that my better half will enjoy. I got her into Gaming about two years back and she really enjoy certain games and I want to make sure that the list will have games she likes. They don't need to be specifically two player, but we enjoy those as well. Games she really likes that we own:
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride USA and Europe
Catan w/ all the expansions
Clank!
Dominion we have the Providence expansion
Sushi Go
Love Letter
Avalon: The Resistance
Coup
Codenames
Castle Panic
Cutthroat Caverns w/ all the expansions
Harry Potter Battle for Hogwarts

We have lots of other games as well, but these are her favorite. So if you have any recommendation please comment. It very important that they are in print, because this is a Christmas list so people need to be able to find them Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios
Patchwork
Jaipur
Splendor
Quadropolis
Istanbul
Castles of Burgundy
Karuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romy Cat
msg tools
Vistatownsend.net
badge
Vistatownsend.net
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games on your list that my sister and I enjoy, so I can see your taste is similar to mine.

Some games we like which work well as two-players:

Castles of Burgundy. Well balanced for a two-player. While the graphics could be improved, the gameplay is excellent.

Istanbul. A fun worker placement game. I reallly enjoy the expansion that adds coffee.

Shakespeare. Directions are a bit confusing, but we love this game once we figured it out. Add the expansion raises the game up to a new level. We have played this one a lot.

Patchwork. A light, fast game designed just for two players. Fun and quick.

Takenoko. The pandas are so cute. How can you not love a game with bamboo and pandas?

Imhotep. Another fast pace game that we enjoy with an Egyptian theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romy Cat
msg tools
Vistatownsend.net
badge
Vistatownsend.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you might want to buy Sushi Go Party, which I gave my sister on her last birthday. It adds a lot more cards and an score board. We have played this one a lot too. The more sushi, the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Biblios
Patchwork
Jaipur
Splendor
Quadropolis
Istanbul
Castles of Burgundy
Karuba

Cool I'll look into those! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
RomyCat wrote:
There are many games on your list that my sister and I enjoy, so I can see your taste is similar to mine.

Some games we like which work well as two-players:

Castles of Burgundy. Well balanced for a two-player. While the graphics could be improved, the gameplay is excellent.

Istanbul. A fun worker placement game. I reallly enjoy the expansion that adds coffee.

Shakespeare. Directions are a bit confusing, but we love this game once we figured it out. Add the expansion raises the game up to a new level. We have played this one a lot.

Patchwork. A light, fast game designed just for two players. Fun and quick.

Takenoko. The pandas are so cute. How can you not love a game with bamboo and pandas?

Imhotep. Another fast pace game that we enjoy with an Egyptian theme.

Those sound good! I'll check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Codenames Disney or Marvel?
Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel - but many couple find it too devisive.
Herbaceous
Sagrada
Quadropolis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
SpaceAlien wrote:
Codenames Disney or Marvel?
Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel - but many couple find it too devisive.
Herbaceous
Sagrada
Quadropolis

7 Wonders and 7 duel was on my list. But I’ve never played either and couldn’t figure out which one we would like best😬

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lotus

You build flowers. It's a bit on the 'pretty' side, but it's an awesome game. It's a lot like Splendor, but the art makes it a tiny bit more 'romantic', if you're into that kind of thing with your S.O.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Nuts for Donuts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romy Cat
msg tools
Vistatownsend.net
badge
Vistatownsend.net
mbmbmbmbmb
While 7 Wonders has special rules for 2 players where you play with a dummy player, it plays best with 3 or more. The creators made up with that flaw by coming up with 7 Wonders Duel which is designed for only 2 players but still captures the feel of the bigger game. My sister loves 7 Wonders Duel and I like it. I would enjoy it more if I could beat her more often. She is really good at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries -- only plays 2 or 3. But I think it is the best TTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork
Small World
Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
SEGRETO wrote:
Lotus

You build flowers. It's a bit on the 'pretty' side, but it's an awesome game. It's a lot like Splendor, but the art makes it a tiny bit more 'romantic', if you're into that kind of thing with your S.O.

Hmmm... I’ll have to check it out. We enjoy “romantic games” haha😜

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
lacreighton wrote:
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries -- only plays 2 or 3. But I think it is the best TTR.
Nordic Countries looks really good. I really think it will be more cutthroat, which I would like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
WilbertK wrote:
Patchwork must be good. It’s been recommended 3 times on this forum! I will definitely looking into that one! And I haven’t heard of Hive I’ll have to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Dismas wrote:
Does this have a similar feel to Sushi Go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inns & Cathedrals expansion for Carcassonne. If she loves Carcassonne, she would love it even more with this. It's practically base game. Traders & Builders or Abbey & Mayor for more meat, but at-least Inns & Catherdrals.

Cacao, its a tile laying abstract from the same designer of Sushi Go. Kinda thinky but fun. I haven't played Karuba which is the other popular abstract tile-laying, but I think this one is funner. Another option is Laterns if you think thats more up the ally.

If Tiket to Ride is getting a bit boring, then Ticket to Ride 1910 for the US map, or 1912 for the Europe map. You can also do map packs, India & Switzerland plays 2-3. Both are tight and a bit cutthroat. I find India a bit confusing, but Switzerland is fun. Its a bit of a mini-europe without stations.

There is an alternative to Patchwork, well 2, Barenpark and Cottage Garden (from the same designer). They both support up to 4 unlike Patchwork. Patchwork is regarded as the best, with Barenpark closely coming up.

I wouldn't reccommend Hive if she is not a fan of abstracts/chess, as thats what it essentially is. Good game, but not everyone is a fan.

Tokaido is really pretty and peaceful, but isn't really a 2p game, it has a variant but its a bit of a cop out (both players control a neutral piece to block areas). Not sure if Takenoko supports 2, but its from the same designer. Lotus also has a great pretty look to it, and if she liked the area control aspects of Carcassonne and set collection of Sushi Go, she'll probably like it also.

Traders of Osaka and Archelogy the new expedition are both Jaipur alternatives that support up to 4. If you don't want to lock down your collection to 2p only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some excellent recommendations already.

+1 Splendor
+1 Patchwork
+1 The Castles of Burgundy

If your wife likes Carcassonne, definitely check out Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King. It's also a tile-laying game but I found it much more interesting.

Another favorite of my wife is Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Every player gets to build their own crazy castle and it's always a winner with any level of gamers.

For something a little bit more complex, check out Viticulture Essential Edition. Fantastic worker placement with a wonderfully-integrated theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You may want to look at trying Lewis & Clark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaskanhobbit wrote:
7 Wonders and 7 duel was on my list. But I’ve never played either and couldn’t figure out which one we would like best😬

If you mostly intend to play 2 players then Duel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDoctor_13 wrote:
I wouldn't reccommend Hive if she is not a fan of abstracts/chess, as thats what it essentially is. Good game, but not everyone is a fan.

While I agree that Hive is an abstract game, and is less likely to work with someone who doesn't like abstracts, I think it's weird for you to mention that as a problem for Hive and at the same time recommend Patchwork. Patchwork is also an abstract, so I think it suffers from the same problem. Now you might argue that a lot of people who generally don't like abstracts seem to like Patchwork. But the same can be said for Hive. I've had a lot of success introducing people to this game.

Anyway, there's some online implementations of the game, for example at boardspace.net, so try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanamikoji beautiful two player game with easy to understand rules but interesting decisions

The Ravens of Thri Sahashri two player puzzley co-op with a romantic theme, download the bgg player aid as the original rules are quite hard to understand.

I have not played it yet but Fog of Love also has a romance theme. Only availble at walmart online

Also have not tried but Cat Lady is another drafting game with a cute theme.

I would get Century: Spice Road over Splendor. They are similar but everyone in my group prefers the former. Esp. since she likes Dominion, I think she would like this more.

Lost Legacy and the various expansions would make good stocking stuffers as she likes Love letter. The orignal japanese version is expensive but the current english ones are very cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaskanhobbit wrote:
WilbertK wrote:
Patchwork must be good. It’s been recommended 3 times on this forum! I will definitely looking into that one! And I haven’t heard of Hive I’ll have to check it out.

Make sure you and your wife are moderately capable at spatial reasoning. I say this because I have a friend who loves everything Uwe Rosenberg has put out... a great except Patchwork. She has huge difficulty with spatial reasoning so rotating the shapes is hard for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igloo Man
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for all the ideas! I will be looking at all the suggestions and picking the ones that seems to be the best fit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.