Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, and thanks for stopping by to help me out. Chances are high that this question has been answered, but I don't have the desire to scan through 700+ posts to "maybe" get an answer.

I'm only interested in 3 and 4 player modes of play. I'm also interested in trying to get the most out of the amazing story and game mechanics (not interested in deck building - I have invested enough in Netrunner).

So, do I need more than 1 core box?

What chapter packs really flesh out the story and mechanics?

Should I skip chapter packs and just get the Deluxe expansions?

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
San Giorgio su Legnano
Italia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core box is terrible for this game, all the cards in it are in 1x and you have no option on building the deck, plus the Core can build only 2 legal deck (2 faction in one deck) so you cannot build a mono faction deck.
The other important thing is the economy, in 1 Core you have the "basic neutral location" in 3x, with it mean that you can build only 1 solid economy for 1 single deck.

This is NOT a good investment if you are looking at it only as a "boardgame" prospective, The Game of Throne LCG is a fantastic Card game but need to be played Competitively, just like Magic the Gathering in a solid 1v1 system.

The Multi-player is fine but is not worth the money to get the amount of card needed (if you split the cost with you friends can be done).

Anyhow if you are looking at it just skip all the Chapter Pack and go with the Deluxe expansion (+ at least 2 Core Set), because the Deluxe focus on a single faction, and they came with a basic deck out of the box for that faction (every Deluxe have 2 Decklist printed on is rulesheet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. This isn't for you - you will need three cores (NEED!) alone to have a decent card pool for 4 players, alternatively lots of extra championship decks for economy cards and other important ones. There aren't even enough cards to build passable decks for one player in one core.

The example decks are based on one core, and are quite frankly boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop telling the guy not to get the game. He didn't rule out getting extra core sets. He just asked whether he needed them.

Arthur, the game is awesome, even just as a casual game to play with friends. You do not need to play it competitively. I have over 170 plays under my belt and I've never attended a Thrones tournament.

But yes, get yourself three core sets. That's all you need, and you won't regret getting them. They will give you untold hours of enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
LaTigre wrote:
in 1 Core you have the "basic neutral location" in 3x

Correction: 4x in one core.

That gives you a full complement of economy cards for all 4 players when you have three cores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
Stop telling the guy not to get the game.

I see a lot of people regret getting games of the sort. They're always against building their own decks too. There are just too many factors counting against the poster loving this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Thanks for your posts and insights. I ended up starting with 2 core sets. We'll see how it goes.

I'm pretty sure I will like this game a lot. And if it gets played often enough, and it is required, I will get a third core set.

Drew, thanks for properly stating the perspective that I'm approaching this game from. Mostly MELEE, 3-4 players (possibly some 1 vs. 1) and definitely CASUAL.

Once again, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely be able to get a great idea of what the game is like with the 2 cores you have. If you really like it, you could go for that 3rd core.

You could also buy the world championship deck to get some of the economy (and Stark/Lannister) cards for cheaper. You could also look on eBay for neutrals to help beef up your supply.

In terms of good expansions... the three (soon four) deluxe expansions are a good value, but you might like Taking the Black for The Hound & Lady and Street of the Sisters. The King's Peace is good for Ser Gregor and some knight themes. For Family Honor is good for Renly and Spearmaiden and Asshai Priestess. And finally, everybody suggests you get There Is My Claim for Valar Morghulis (probably a good one to get 3 of... one of your players will have to do without -- Wildfire works similarly enough, though).

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Haunting Questions,

I really appreciate the tips on what expansions and chapter packs I should check out next. Thank you for your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.