Hide
10 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sorcerer Skill "Explosion Escape" - typo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M L
msg tools
The skill states "Spend 1 Action to leave a zone with an Enemy, dealing 1 Wound to it and moving to an adjacent Zone."

I saw a write up on this forum which made it sound like the player used this power to push a roaming monster (into a crumbling Zone no less). It's a stretch to me, but I think they may have interpreted the last part differently than I do. When I read this, I surmise it is like using Slippery to move only 1 Zone while damaging the enemy on the way out. If I am correct, I think there is a typo that could have easily been made: "...and 'move into' an adjacent Zone." After all the first part does say you can "...leave a Zone with an enemy..." which makes me think they accidentally corrected a typo wrong.

If I am wrong and it is supposed to be knocking the enemy back from the explosion, I still believe it could be a typo. "...moving 'it' to an adjacent Zone."

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Whyman
United States
Vivian
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
I read it as the hero leaves the zone while doing damage to the enemy. It is slippery with a bonus of doing damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are misreading the Skill. The wording would require 'moving it' instead of 'moving' to make it work as they thought.

It is the Hero that is moving, not the Enemy.

It is not a typo either, the comma changes the tense. Perhaps the confusion is because the sentence structure sort of looks like:

'Spend an Action to do A, B and C.'

but the change in tense mid-sentence means it is not such a list. The only grammatically correct way to parse the sentence is actually:

'Spend an Action to do A, doing B and doing C.'

The B and C part tells you how to do A, they are not things you do in addition to A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ml58570 wrote:
The skill states "Spend 1 Action to leave a zone with an Enemy, dealing 1 Wound to it and moving to an adjacent Zone."

I saw a write up on this forum which made it sound like the player used this power to push a roaming monster (into a crumbling Zone no less). It's a stretch to me, but I think they may have interpreted the last part differently than I do. When I read this, I surmise it is like using Slippery to move only 1 Zone while damaging the enemy on the way out. If I am correct, I think there is a typo that could have easily been made: "...and 'move into' an adjacent Zone." After all the first part does say you can "...leave a Zone with an enemy..." which makes me think they accidentally corrected a typo wrong.

If I am wrong and it is supposed to be knocking the enemy back from the explosion, I still believe it could be a typo. "...moving 'it' to an adjacent Zone."

Thoughts?

That was probably me, and after reading the skill closer, I believe I was playing incorrectly. Clipper's explanation is correct, the wording did fool me. My apologies for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's another example of them poorly wording something. Why they didn't just make the text read "Spend 1 Action to leave a zone with an Enemy and move to an adjacent Zone, dealing 1 Wound to the enemy." Is beyond me. Then there would be no confusion and little room for error. Instead they state you move, do damage to the enemy, then come back to the movement portion to further clarify. It's silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Actually I think it is silly to have made the mistake in the first place. It is more than obvious the intent of the skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also why would it say "to leave a zone" right in the beginning if you don't move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Also why would it say "to leave a zone" right in the beginning if you don't move?

Leaving a zone doesn't tell you which zone you're allowed to enter after leaving. And they have to use the leaving part to indicate that there must be an Enemy where you started out and also allow you to bypass the rule that says you can't leave such Zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falccor77 wrote:
Actually I think it is silly to have made the mistake in the first place. It is more than obvious the intent of the skill.

Noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
msg tools
EastCoast wrote:

That was probably me, and after reading the skill closer, I believe I was playing incorrectly. Clipper's explanation is correct, the wording did fool me. My apologies for any confusion.

It was an innocent enough mistake and the rest of the write up was very entertaining. After reading it, it made me look for any powers that allow a Hero to push an enemy, because it is something I am use to seeing in other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.