Dice Town» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ties and best hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
California
flag msg tools
We played tonight and two players had 4 aces. The last die was a king and the other player had a jack.

Is 4 aces the tie or does the one with the higher different die win or does the sheriff decide?

Second question:
Does the best hand of all the players mean anything?

another thing:
We played whoever had the best hand of a suit won that number, example:One player had 3 jacks and the other player had 2 jacks, the player with 3 would win the area and the other player would not get anything.

is the correct?

also, if one player has 2-9's and 2-10's and no other player has those numbers, that player would do two actions.

is that correct.

We just played this for the first time tonight and people were a little frustrated about these things.

Thank you very much,

John Weber

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of this is correct, and yes, if two players are tied with four aces, the highter fifth die breaks the tie. If the fifth die is also tied, those two players need to bribe the sheriff, who can decide the tie however he sees fit.

Best overall hand wins the last area, the land cards.

Most nines gets gold

Most tens gets the money from the bank (spent in previous round)

Most Jacks gets a card

Most Queens steals a card at random

Most Kings becomes Sheriff

Best hand wins land cards.

If one player has more than one majority, yes, they get multiple bonuses.

If a player gets no bonus, they visit "Doc Badluck" for a bonus based on what they rolled. They choose.

Great game. Hope you play again and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Had a response but lost it all due to an internet time out.

One clarification I wanted to point out that may have been overlooked:

The Town Hall is best hand. It is not like the other locations where you are comparing the count of specific "cards". (Look at the board, it isn't a single Ace die there, but all 5 dice.)

So in your example, it is coincidental that the 4-Aces with King kicker might have won. If someone had five 2's, for example, they would take the reward at the Town Hall. Having Aces within that winning hand just allows you to draw bonus cards for each Ace (up to a total of 3 land cards). Your A-K winner would take all 3 face up cards - the 3rd and 4th Ace being ignored as far as bonus draws go. If my theoretical 5-2's won, he would only take one land card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just for clarification:
A hand of five 2's would not beat a hand with 4 aces, and a king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tronin wrote:
Just for clarification:
A hand of five 2's would not beat a hand with 4 aces, and a king.

Pretty sure 5 of a kind of any number beats 4 of a kind of any number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Edit: Interesting. When I last checked for hand rankings I couldn't find anything about five of a kind, but now I do. Granted I wasn't looking that hard, and to be fair. The only time you would be able to have five of a kind is if you were using wild card.

I still won't play with this rule given it's no regular poker hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tronin wrote:
Edit: Interesting. When I last checked for hand rankings I couldn't find anything about five of a kind, but now I do. Granted I wasn't looking that hard, and to be fair. The only time you would be able to have five of a kind is if you were using wild card.

I still won't play with this rule given it's no regular poker hand.

Poker house rules frequently have Wild cards so it is a regular hand. 5 of a kind beats 4 of a kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What say you, Bruno Cathala, are wild cards in use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tronin wrote:
What say you, Bruno Cathala, are wild cards in use?

You have 5 dice. The back of the property cards show a 5 of a kind at the top of the hand list. Bruno has already spoken. "Wilds" are in.

I am looking for a better image of just the card back, one that just shows the back itself but it shows Pair, Two Pair, 3 of a Kind, Straight, Full House, 4 of a Kind, 5 of a Kind. What more do you need to know this is the right way to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The back of the property cards show a 5 of a kind at the top of the hand list.

Wow! I've never noticed that before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.