Hide
6 Posts

Monopoly Deal Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: More than 7 cards dispute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Moorhouse
msg tools
I will try to describe the events has succinctly and accurately as possible.

Tonight while playing Monopoly Deal with a group of 4 other friends. We suspected that one player had more than 7 cards in his hand for most of th game. Once the game ended and we dealt again, we wanted to make sure he didn’t have more than 7 again. We asked him to show the amount of cards he had. He said that there were no rules saying he needed to prove that he had 7 cards therefore he didn’t need to show us. There was a big dispute over whether proving discarding more than 7 cards was a part of the honor system and self monitoring or if other players suspected someone of having more than 7 cards, then that player would have to show that they had 7 or less cards.

How would you handle someone who was this hostile to showing the amount of cards? There doesn’t appear to be any rules that say other players cannot check he amount of cards in another players hand. Only that “A player can only have 7 cards in their hand at the end of a turn. If they have more than 7 cards, they need to discard the excess cards into the discard pile in the middle.”

Should I ever play any game with him again?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Petermoorhouse92 wrote:

Should I ever play any game with him again?!

Nope!

Welcome to BGG (Edit - this felt a lot less snarky back when the OP had a New User badge!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb

If it may not be enforced, it is not a rule, it is a recommendation.

Also, with this kind of rule lawyer you should make the case that there is no rule requiring you to end that game with him and there is no rule forcing you to ever play another game with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Davis
United Kingdom
Romford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, they sound awful!

If they wont play in the spirit of the game and fair play, they shouldn't play with the rest of the boys and girls!

There should be no refusal to answer a check up query, such as "how many cards have you got?". As grown ups, we should be able to trust each other to self monitor honestly, but we can make mistakes or not by fully acquainted with a game's rules. So, someone occasionally auditing another player should be an accepted and welcome practice to aid learning a game and keeping things fair and balanced...in the spirit of a game.

A blatant refusal to answer such questions can only lead you to believe that they are cheating, while hiding behind the premise that responding to these questions is not explicitly mentioned in the rulebook.

You don't need every illegal activity to be displayed on a sign in the street every 10 meters to know that certain activities are not permitted.

You don't play the 3 shells game on the street after you've learned it's a scam. Don't play this guy if he refuses to play fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a rule saying you cannot punch him and take some of his cards? It's something obvious and he needs to be a better sport or, yes, I would avoid playing with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Selvaggio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If you have to ask complete strangers, "Should I play with another player?" the issue is not about the game rules.

Unwritten game rules:
1) If you're not having some sort of fun, you're not playing.
2) Playing, not winning, is the object of hobby gaming.
3) Cheating robs the cheater of the very win they are so jealous of having.
4) Follow rules if possible otherwise house rule it or play something else.
5) Typo's and design flaws are constant.
6) Forgive blunders. In doing so you promote a better gaming environment.
7) Hostel participants are not players. Find replacements or play solo.
8) If you coax someone to play that is restive, be considerate.
9) If you cannot bless the daggers in you back do not play a 4x game.
10) The more respect you give to your opponents the more honor you receive if you should defeat them.

Hass Tso

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.