Subject: Game difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Healey
Australia
Birsbane
flag msg tools
Game difficulty?
I have pre-ordered this to play with my children with the youngest aged 11 and the oldest age 16, after reading some posts about the sheer difficulty of this and the grind of having to replay levels 2-4 times just to get through them, i'm a little concerned that they will get sick of it very fast. I regionally got this as a replacement for the pathfinder card game as we really like playing co-op games that we can level our characters over time but I was sick of the set up time of pathfinder. If anyone can shine some light would be great otherwise I might just have to take the risk and see how it plays out.
Thanks All.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If it's a game that you are interested in, and could play with other people should your kids not enjoy it, I say go for it.

That said, have you played the role of DM in a D&D game before? If so, and if your kids are having issues with the difficulty, maybe you could write up your own little scenarios for your kids to run through. There are a lot of ways to tweak this game to make it easier if you truly need it to be easier.

Or you could make it a life lesson about how you can't always win all the time and sometimes your hard effort pays off over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same vein of difficulty, whats the setup time like for this game anyone have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
In the same vein of difficulty, whats the setup time like for this game anyone have any ideas?

That is a good point. It does take maybe 5-10 minutes to set up, but you get into the habit of grabbing needed components quickly the more you play. As long as you're diligent with putting everything away in an efficient manner (which will also probably take 5-10 minutes each time), you should be good.

If you're playing with kids, you could either distract them by having them look over the stickers to figure out what they're going to upgrade when they get the chance, or just put them to work in helping sort things out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesing, not to sideboard this thread but that is always my struggle with omst card games/board games these days is setup time. Having a newborn especially time is precious and to be able to have more instant gratification (without resorting things like video games for example) is really what i find attractive.

Probably won't be going into my collection anytime soon. damn you setup time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might take you 10 min to set it up the very first time you play, but there is no way it should normally take that long. Crossfire setup is easily less than 5 min, and once you're familiar only takes 2 min. About the same time to reset between games as well.

Dragonfire adds a few more options, but definitely not enough to double setup time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pink Rose
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 8 year old. She's begged me to play every other day so far.
Have had no problems replaying the dungeon crawl 5 times so far. She enjoys seeing some of the same monsters, "oh no, not the tentacles again".
Set up, while short is done before she sits down, and clean up after she's done.
Buy it and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Healey
Australia
Birsbane
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, you've given me hope and I've been looking forward to it so now just the waiting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to play this last night. Setup was fast because I have everything organized nicely and know what to take out. We didn't do the intro scenario and went right into the main game. I find setup in this game a lot faster than pathfinder card game, faster than dominion. Our longest period for setup was choosing characters. We did mess up a few rules and actually made the game harder and we were doing fine, until scene 3. We actually still almost won we just got hit with a couple bad Dragonfire events that sealed our fate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.