Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How interesting is 1 or 2 cores + all deluxe expansions (+ the Corruption cycle)? I would like to know if this provides a good deck building experience for casual play—or if some things will feel like they are missing.

I have no experience with this game and could not find any relevant thread that could help me decide whether to get this or not (they come as a secondhand bundle).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I am by no means an expert player. But I did go through all this because I wanted sort of a "closed" set to play with my buddies.

Short answer: Yes, I think is a very good deal (if the price is right).

Long answer: first things first. The absolute minimum would be 1 core set + assault on ulthuan. This will provide you with 6 ready to play faction decks out of the box(es), with very few deckbuilding options other than splashing other factions cards in the decks (like putting some empire in your dwarves and so on).
From this point on, anything you add will increase your deckbuilding options. Some things that I was told when looking for info:

- If you're getting battle packs, it's better to get a whole cycle because all cards in each cycle are sort of balanced together. Special caveat regarding the Corruption cycle: it's the only cycle coming with less than 3 copies for some cards, and certain cards (skaven specially) will need more than the copies provided, so you will need more than 1 copy of some packs. AS you say you'll be playing casually, maybe that is not a problem if you don't mind playing with photocopied proxies.

- Deluxes: the consensus here was that the more interesting box (apart from Ulthuan which is almost mandatory) is Legends, because it comes with Legend cards which are sort of commanders for your army, and also the other cards in the set are quite interesting. March of the Damned introduces Undead and Lizardmen as allies, Cataclysm introduces multiplayer (which I think is very interesting if, you're playing with a closed group) and finally Hidden Kingdoms allows you to play with the lesser races as your main faction.

That's all I remember, as I said I am not an expert, so maybe someone else might chime in and provide more accurate info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will miss out on some themes that were introduced/emphasized in the various cycles. Corruption cycle does have x1 quantity cards, as the previous poster said.

Cataclysm is least valuable, unless you want the multi-player, (I'm not huge on that).

Hidden kingdoms is good, if you have March of the damned. Lizardman decks are nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would be left with a weird situation, where you didn't have enough cards to make a Wood Elf deck. If that's an important thing for you.

The core set started with four of the factions (Empire, Dwarf, Chaos, and Orcs).

Ulthuan added High Elves and Dark Elves.

At this point, if you want to you could, in theory, stop.

The Corruption Cycle added the Skaven, which were a neutral faction. They function a lot like splicing another faction into your deck, but you couldn't make a deck specifically focused on them.

March of the Damned added Undead and Lizardmen as additional neutral factions. They get a more condensed release, which is nice.

The Moorslieb cycle added the Wood Elves, (I'm bringing this up, because they're the last neutral faction added to the game.)

Legends added a new card type. Legends are singular characters in the setting, like Karl Franz or Archeon. Each of the six factions gets a pair of legends. (Each of them would also get another legend in one of the later cycles, though you can safely ignore those.)

Cataclysm adds a multiplayer mode. This uses completely different victory conditions, and has its own card type (Fulcrums) that players are fighting over.

Hidden Kingdoms was the final release for Invasion. It adds new cards for each of the four neutral factions, allowing you (in theory) to build unique decks focused specifically on them. There were never large cardpools for those factions, so unless you have a complete collection, you're going to be extremely limited in what you can do with these decks. Wood Elf and Skaven are the most expensive by a large margin. One of those x1 cards in Corruption is almost necessary to making a pure Skaven deck viable, and both are scattered across multiple packs, usually with just one or two cards in each. A player with only March of the Damned, Legends, Cataclysm, and Hidden Kingdom can make basic Undead and Lizardman decks. Though, both got some ver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick followup.

Chaos includes Daemons, Beastmen, and Warriors of Chaos into a single faction.

Bretonians did show up as neutral cards, but there's only three or four total. Same for Ogres.

Empire includes some Kislev cards. Weirdly, Witchhunters are not Empire cards, and instead are neutral.

Chaos Dwarves and the Border Princes are absent (though there may be a card or two I'm forgetting.)

The Undead are, almost exclusively, Carsteins. Again, there might be an exception or two, I'm not remembering.

In general, there are not enough cards to fine tune specific sub-factions. So, if you wanted to focus on one Skaven Clan, or something like a Varg deck, that's not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Davoli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play casually, you might find this really useful:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1175385/decks-core-plus-del...

I haven't tried it yet, because I don't get to play with anyone, but I've tried his other decks and they're very good for casual play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but my question is kind of similar:

Would it be possible to play the game without the core set and only with deluxe expansions or would you miss too many cards to build some viable decks?

Sure there wouldn't be much options for deckbuilding but would it actually make any sense at all or is the core set essential?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you'd be missing the capital boards, but you can deal with that. But you would be missing all the neutral cards, I'm thinking supports mainly, that are really solid cards.

I think you'd have a really bizarre card pool to work with as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonce wrote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but my question is kind of similar:

Would it be possible to play the game without the core set and only with deluxe expansions or would you miss too many cards to build some viable decks?

Sure there wouldn't be much options for deckbuilding but would it actually make any sense at all or is the core set essential?

Lacking a copy of core is something you could potentially work around. But, given it's the most commonly available component on the market, even now, skipping it wouldn't make much sense.

It's not like, say, Conquest's core, where there are cards you absolutely need to play the game, but, you would be missing out on a lot of useful cards, and all of the components you'd need to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.