Subject: Attacking vs. defending supply requirements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have a question not about rules per se but idea behind it. I've read post about supply and it's clear to my, but why there is a restriction in reinforcing OOS location you control. Attacking side can send troops from adjacent spot so why defender cannot do the same?
I'm thinking about Thermae when Rome does not control Syracuse yet. By the rules you can reinforce it when attacking but not when defending it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the location is OOS, that means all connections to it are lost. You can't send in men to an isolated location on earth, ancient or WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But rules allow to attack location that after conquer will be OOS, so in my opinion it doesn't make sense.
This is still the same location before and after battle. So first you can reach it with your troops and after wining (!) a battle you cannot? Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is that's how it works in Acres, so I kept it for Hands. I suppose you could argue that it's inconsistent, but keep in mind that the combat is very abstract.

You can imagine that the attacker has brought a supply train with him, while the defender is relying on local supply. And, it provides a sort of advantage to the attacker that promotes battle, as you at least have a chance of getting the location into supply before the battle is won.

It's also one less time that you have to check supply, which facilitates game play in general. Anyway, it's best not to focus on gritty realism for a system like this, as that is not its goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.