Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian Roth
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look at 6:54...
I absolutely love Dungeon Twister. My unchallenged #1 game of all time. If the faint hints of Tom are true, this would be incredible news... ninja

(and yes, the comparison to a sports game was pretty bad )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
If a third edition was backwards-compatible like the second edition was, I'm all for it. If there wasn't a bizarre focus on minis, great. If it somehow led to English printings of Forest Creatures and Ice Age, even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to the game gods this is true. Dungeon Twister is one of the most fascinating, deep, and perfect games ever designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the intriguing hint. Here's hoping DT designers keep the solitaire aspect of the game and create backwards capability for all the characters so far released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Velasco
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boelinger has commented in facebook about news before end of the year,but nothing about which game.I suppose dungeon twister or earth reborn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Donegal wrote:
Boelinger has commented in facebook about news before end of the year,but nothing about which game.I suppose dungeon twister or earth reborn

I would go nuts for an Earth Reborn expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Roth
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Donegal wrote:

I am happy with either or both. Earth Reborn is darmn good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great news! Fingers crossed. DT and ER are easily two of my top games ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right!!
I can't wait till the end of the year...

However, I can't think of a third edition that would be a better game then the first or the second edition. I'm not letting my hopes up very high, because why would a third edition work (sell) better then the second one, who also stayed with one box.

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyriphiry wrote:
why would a third edition work (sell) better then the second one, who also stayed with one box.

I think the major problem with the second edition was that they used miniatures instead of cardboard cutouts. Minis are extremely expensive to produce (often significantly more expensive than every other part of the project combined), and they just jack the price of the game way up, sometimes harming sales. A lot of experienced DT players (myself included!) would have been happier to have cardboard standees, to match the previous sets. They're also more functional in several ways: they feature icons to remind players of special character abilities, they have clear stands to show what objects the characters carry underneath them, and they stack/store about 100x more easily and efficiently. I hope the third edition, if we get one, makes a return to the ever-amazing cardboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Roth
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Laeidz87 wrote:
Phyriphiry wrote:
why would a third edition work (sell) better then the second one, who also stayed with one box.

I think the major problem with the second edition was that they used miniatures instead of cardboard cutouts. Minis are extremely expensive to produce (often significantly more expensive than every other part of the project combined), and they just jack the price of the game way up, sometimes harming sales. A lot of experienced DT players (myself included!) would have been happier to have cardboard standees, to match the previous sets. They're also more functional in several ways: they feature icons to remind players of special character abilities, they have clear stands to show what objects the characters carry underneath them, and they stack/store about 100x more easily and efficiently. I hope the third edition, if we get one, makes a return to the ever-amazing cardboard!

I strongly disagree almost to the contrary Playing DT with standees is like playing chess with standees. Miniatures where & are a major selling point and DT needs to have them. Not just for looks nowadays (...which I really don't care about...) but also because it just plays better with minis. (see below)

IMHO the reason DT 1 was not more recognized was partially exactly due to missing minis. I had the luck to buy the german deluxe version which already included the minis of the first set. But I would have never fallen as much in love with DT if the game came with standees. Not because I am a sucker for miniatures ( ...which I am not...) but because if you play strongly competitive, then minis just beat standees in terms of quick oversight, instant recognizability and ease of play. All the experienced players I know prefer minis by far (we dont need any icons or symbols on them, because we know all of them in our sleep and we rarely ever have to check which character carries which item during play). Just imagine playing chess with standees that all have the same shape but with a picture of the piece and you know what I mean -> sure it is possible, but 3D chess figures are just quicker and instantly to grasp visually. Something which is super important when mentally going through tons of possible moves each turn as fast as possible - like in DT.

Now here came the big problem: The minis done by thirdparty Fenryll where/are just crazy expensive. I mean who does invest 70 Euros EXTRA per expansion? Not many. (Except me & my poor wallet, who are just in dire love with this game...)

The reason DT 2 failed was IMHO that it tried to be an expansion AND a base box. First, some of the characters where already implemented in DT 1 which prevented some veterans to buy the box. Secondy, and more important, DT 2 just was not as fun as a base box as was DT 1. The tiles where MUCH more convoluted which made it often a chore to get through to the other side and the characters (while cool for a veteran) where not as perfectly complementig each other for a beginner like the ones in DT 1.

Nevertheless, I think with todays Kickstarter mania for boardgames, if a third edition comes to KS it will be a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finstar wrote:
I strongly disagree almost to the contrary Playing DT with standees is like playing chess with standees. Miniatures where & are a major selling point and DT needs to have them. Not just for looks nowadays (...which I really don't care about...) but also because it just plays better with minis.

And I strongly disagree here. Minis immediately jack up the price for any project they are in. They can often be incredibly unnecessarily (for an example, look at the original and later printings of Cave Troll, the first having cardboard chits and the second having minis and decks of cards to randomize). I am more than happy with DT having standees; they are easier to play with, easier to handle, and cheaper.

Additionally, as someone who has played chess with scraps of paper, I wouldn't have any problems playing it with standees. I don't think I've ever considered physical appearance of the components when deciding to play chess or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree miniatures are absolutely unnecessary. I don't even use the standees, I just use the chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
I agree miniatures are absolutely unnecessary. I don't even use the standees, I just use the chits.

How do you handle wounded characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
Selurevad wrote:

Turn them face-down. All wounded characters have the same stats (0/0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
theashers wrote:
Selurevad wrote:

The rules for 1st ed. actually indicate this if you don't want the standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Gamethyme wrote:
theashers wrote:
Selurevad wrote:

The rules for 1st ed. actually indicate this if you don't want the standees.

Oh right, I recall reading that long ago...just been so used to standees and the chits for wounded that I forgot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping for a Dungeon Twister Kickstarter?

16 hours left to go on Christophe Boelinger's Living Planet Kickstarter here: http://kck.st/2jHRrgK

The more successful that is the more chance of a Dungeon Twister Kickstarter, I would think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is actually a DT kickstarter that would be better than a hope... plus, at over 2000% funded, that one seems to be covered.

Though thanks for sharing, I didn't know Christophe was working on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Genre_Fad wrote:

16 hours left to go on Christophe Boelinger's Living Planet Kickstarter here: http://kck.st/2jHRrgK

The more successful that is the more chance of a Dungeon Twister Kickstarter, I would think.

Why would you think one would have anything to do with the other besides they are both Chris? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
Genre_Fad wrote:

Why would you think one would have anything to do with the other besides they are both Chris? Am I missing something?

I wouldn't, other than they are same designer.
I wouldn't presume to know if you are missing something or night, I can't even find my pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.