Subject: Decorations for crew rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received my copy of TFT and have lots to explore yet!

I wondered if there are any rules, or has someone some guidance, for awarding decorations for the brave crew members (like in The Hunters)?

What decorations were awarded to B17/24 crews historically, and for what achievements?

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo! Hopefully you can view this page. This is what we use in one of the campaigns I participate in.
http://509th-vbw.proboards.com/thread/615/read-award-promoti...

If you cannot access it let me know.

In a different campaign we also make award decorations, using similar guidelines. Here is one I wrote:

Crew Members Name: John Mathis
Crew Members Rank: 2LT, Navigator on the Great Expectations
Mission Number: 006
Mission Date: 28 Nov 42
Award Requested: Medal of Honor (posthumous)
Award Paragraph: Serving as Navigator, 2LT Mathis, went above and beyond the call of duty on the final flight of the Great Expectations. After the death of the bombardier, and the loss of one of the oxygen connections in the nose, 2LT Mathis alternated between the nose and cheek guns, scoring two confirmed kills, two probable kills, and a fifth damaged enemy aircraft; being wounded twice in the process. The Lieutenant also successfully put 50% of the bombs on target in the absence of the bombardier. Finally, 2LT Mathis took over the Co-Pilot’s seat, after 2LT Montgomery was seriously wounded, in an attempt to assist the Pilot, 1LT Sanders, in landing the severely damaged bomber. This endeavor was to save two seriously wounded crew members were unable to bail out. The bomber had only one working engine and had lost a number of its control surfaces. Unfortunately the landing was unsuccessful and 2LT Mathis was killed in the effort.

Commander's Comments:
2LT John Mathis' actions during this mission demonstrate an extreme example of self sacrifice for his crew mates. His heroism and effectiveness in performing his regular duties as well as the duties of other wounded crew members went well beyond the call of duty. It is extremely unfortunate that he perished during his effort, and I am recommending he be awarded the Medal of Honor for extreme heroism.

Award: Medal of Honor (Poll)

COL Bobby Mac Owens, Commanding
87th BG (H)

Tot ziens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Lou! Great list of medals.

Requesting is a bit difficult in a solitaire game but you mention requirements too so that is ok.

How about the bronze star?

Alvast bedankt .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:

How about the bronze star?

My understanding is that the Bronze Star was originally created for infantry men / ground forces. The Air Corp had the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross. The Bronze Star was not awarded for aerial exploits until 1962.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Thanks for the information, it is very helpful .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is not an answer to your question, but here is a list of medals and the order of precedence and an image of each: http://magnuskimura.se/games/b17/918bg/Decorations.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is a copy and paste from another forum and another post I commented on regarding awards (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/14603843#14603843):

I have been working on a system which covers medals, but I am not sure how well it works. I got the idea from an old WWII role playing game called Behind Enemy Lines. You get points for certain actions and each medal has a value. You need points equal to a medal's value to have a chance of that award, and then a dice roll decide whether or not you get it (ie higher HQ). I've tried it a couple of times, but I find it difficult to keep score of how many points a crew man wins for an action. I need to work on it some more before I can say more about it. It would work when you play solo missions, but not as well when you are in a PBEM campaign.

The 10th Bomb Wing uses one system, the 88th Bomb Group another and the 918th still another, which is based on the criteria for the medals. I find that difficult and I agree with Jim: "Sometimes a little to liberal" It is difficult to translate actions in the game to the criteria for the medals unless you use alot of your imagination and writing skills.

Some notes that might be of help:

The Purple Heart will not be awarded for frostbites. LW/SW/KIA only.

The Air Medal can be awarded for every 5th mission. Some groups awarded it after each 10th mission and some not at all. Some groups awarded a DFC after a completed tour, but no Air Medals for any missions.

The Air Medal can also be awarded for actions in the air, and from 1944 it will be awarded with a V for Valor for these actions.

The Legion of Merit will also be awarded with a V for Valor for actions in the Air from 1944.

The Bronze Star Medal will not be awarded for aerial actions until 1962.

You can basically say that no medal will be awarded automatically, except for the Purple Heart. Your examples of shooting down three fighters during a mission and a pilot bringing his bomber home are actions that would lead to a recommendation I am sure. But, the question is... How do you decide which medal to be awarded and do you award him that medal?

So we're back where we started. There are different ways as you have seen. I think that the 918th are the most realistic, but I don't know the other groups' system that well. In the 918th you have to write a recommendation and a citation and then wait. And wait. I have been put in charge of the decision making and go over the recommendations and then I compare them to the criteria for the medal and then decide, except for the Medal of Honor, which I think Colonel Higginbottem takes care of. I find it difficult and time consuming, but I try to do it when I have the time.

In the end I think that you have the final decision about which system you want to use in your campaign, and also when to promote your crew men.

In the 918th you can write a recommendation of promotion in your AAR, but other than that I don't think that we have a system in the 918th for promotions.I think that all crew men with at least 10 or 15 missions could be promoted.

Magnus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all helpful input.

For solitaire, in the end it comes down to formulating a set of conditions that resemble the reality as much as possible I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.