Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving out of enemy zone question/thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tor Smashor
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I played the tutorial for the first time last night with some friends, and while I had a good time, one part of the game I don't think I liked is that once a hero moved into a space with an enemy, they had to sit there until they killed it, unless they had an ability like slippery. Has anyone houseruled or thought about a way for being able to leave a space occupied by an enemy? Maybe the enemy gets a free attack, or you have to roll to get away? I guess I don't understand the getting "locked" into a space with only the option of killing an enemy. What does everyone think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vail Marston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I feel there are enough options to deal with this that it is not a big concern. Stunning the enemy is one option and a few classes have the ability to get another hero out of the zone.

Most classes that would really suffer in this situation have or can get an escape skill.

And, of course, your allies can help you out by killing the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As Vail, it has not really been an issue to me yet.

But if I need it some day, I'll probably house rule it by adding a new Action:

House rule wrote:
DISENGAGE
Action Cost: 1
Prerequisites: The Hero must be in a Zone with at least one Enemy.
Each Enemy in the Zone immediately performs an opportunity Attack targeting this Hero. Then the Hero move to an adjacent Zone as if he had Slippery.

edit: removed reference to Counter-Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Smashor
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah, I liked the idea of at least having an option to leave a zone occupied by an enemy, instead of just accepting that you are stuck and have to fight. I get that there is equipment and such to help, but if you don't get items allowing you to disengage, then it just becomes a matter of rolling dice over and over until you kill or are killed. This is the first dungeon crawler I've played where you can't just disengage from combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could use the Zombicide rule of spending an extra action per figure (or per mob/wanderer) to move out of the zone.

Or you could allow the monster/mob to take a parting shot at you.

I guess you could also allow other characters to kite the monsters off of a square (instead of the monsters being locked to the square as they are now).

I'm actualy pretty happy with the standard system though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how many characters either have, or can upgrade to Slippery, adding more ways out of enemy spaces seems pointless.

As it is, there's a need to think about positioning, balancing risk etc if you think you're going to get stuck. Removing that just makes the game less interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
torsmashor13 wrote:
...and while I had a good time, one part of the game I don't think I liked is that once a hero moved into a space with an enemy, they had to sit there until they killed it...

I had the same sentiment as you did the first time I played because I had never been in a crawler that would not allow you to disengage. That was my reaction; "Oh, I don't think I like that but we'll see how it goes." Then we played it a couple more times and have come to the awareness that it does work the way it's written. If we removed that aspect I think it would affect overall decision making and would take something essential out of the game. We're leaving it in for now. We've only played the tutorial and quest 1 so far, but we've played quest 1 a few times over. We didn't want to move forward in the quests while we were muddling through the rules. So with just limited repeat play of just one quest we don't feel qualified to change anything yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.