daniel mor
msg tools
Hey,

I have a notebook where I write all of my board game ideas, I've been doing this for a year now. I have two really good board games, and a card game ready to be made, however I can't design.

I am wondering if any designer would like to work with me on board/card games that will hopefully be good enough to be put on kickstarter? (We will split the profit we make) Working with a partner will also be more motivating and fun for me.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honest question-- If you can't design (and thus I am inferring that you haven't designed these games), how do you know that you have "two really good board games"?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe OP means art design?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CMDanny wrote:
I have two really good board games, and a card game ready to be made, however I can't design.

I am wondering if any designer would like to work with me on board/card games that will hopefully be good enough to be put on kickstarter? (We will split the profit we make) Working with a partner will also be more motivating and fun for me.


I know your intentions are pure, but ready to be made is really vague. Ideas are a dime a dozen, it's the designing and making prototypes and paying for art and the million other things that are difficult. If you actually care about these games and want to see them made you should post them with as much detail as possible and just see if anyone is interested in doing all of the actual work.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel mor
msg tools
spicyqueso15 wrote:
CMDanny wrote:
I have two really good board games, and a card game ready to be made, however I can't design.

I am wondering if any designer would like to work with me on board/card games that will hopefully be good enough to be put on kickstarter? (We will split the profit we make) Working with a partner will also be more motivating and fun for me.


I know your intentions are pure, but ready to be made is really vague. Ideas are a dime a dozen, it's the designing and making prototypes and paying for art and the million other things that are difficult. If you actually care about these games and want to see them made you should post them with as much detail as possible and just see if anyone is interested in doing all of the actual work.


Uhh this is kind of a bummer to me, forget about the designing part, is it not a thing to work in groups on board games online?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CMDanny wrote:
Uhh this is kind of a bummer to me, forget about the designing part, is it not a thing to work in groups on board games online?


It's not so much that, more that most game designers have so many ideas of their own or are so deeply involved in their own game that it takes a lot to get them working on someone else's idea. Basically, having the idea is, for most people, the easy bit. The hard bit is all the hours of prototyping, testing and revising.

People do work in groups online on game designs, and you may be able to pull together a group for your idea, but if you want to attract anyone you will need to do a lot of sharing to show that your idea is good enough to attract their attention.

Don't worry, nobody is going to steal your idea, but if you give enough detail, someone might offer advice on how to proceed, and someone might even want to help in a more substantial way.

Good luck.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CMDanny wrote:
is it not a thing to work in groups on board games online?


It is, and there's a lot of design collaboration that goes on here. If you're looking for help, please post a brief description of your best design idea, and let's see if it can spark a good conversation. Just an elevator pitch would help get the ball rolling -- For example, I pitched my game design that was published this year as "a light, highly accessible, card-driven wargame combined with a deckbuilder, for 4 players, set in the Roman Empire, that can be played in 2 hours".

Any of the following details will also help:

* # of players (e.g. 2-4? 3-6?)
* Basic design concept (e.g. party game, abstract, children's game, wargame, traditional card game, etc...)
* Core game mechanics (e.g. card-driven, hex & chit, roll-and-move, social deduction, etc etc etc - check out the full mechanics list used on bgg)
* What existing game is it most like?
* What is innovative about it - what's the "hook"?
* Where are you stuck - what kind of help exactly are you looking for?

There are a lot of design/publishing resources that can be found linked in the forum. Definitely check those out.

In the meantime, I would just caution you that I think of boardgame creation in 3 main stages:

* Design - coming up with the idea. At the end of this phase, you should have a fully playable prototype including all the rules fully written, and functional game pieces created (whatever they are.) This is difficult, but it's the *easy* part.

* Development - testing and refining your design. During this phase, you are giving the prototype to as many independent people as you can to play. You collect feedback and continuously refine your design until all the "bugs" are worked out. At the end of this phase, you should have a fun, desirable, marketable game. This can take years, depending on many factors.

* Publication - producing and marketing your game. During this phase, you are creating or procuring professional art, printing, and game components (at whatever scale is appropriate to your plan), obtaining funding if necessary (e.g. through Kickstarter or whatever), and then getting your game into appropriate distribution channels. (Note: This is the part that is beyond most people, including myself, and why you may want to partner with an existing game publishing company who has the resources and know-how to do it. Finding a partner that's interested is challenging, but doing it yourself will take a lot of capital, time, and effort.)

Where in this process would you say you are with your games?
28 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, from the top post on tabletopgamedesign.reddit.com - Daniel Solis's "What if someone steals your idea?" is a good start to understanding the value of "a good idea for a game" is worth.

You say you don't have any design skills but ideas. I say try to design instead, and ask for help along the way. Here's one way to start: get some index cards, paper, pencils, and scissors. You aren't going to be doing any artwork or making and fancy components. Start simple, make a mechanism, jot down essential information on the paper, and then play test it out. Get a bit "outside yourself" and observe the experience, note what works and why (and what doesn't work and why). Refine your design, maybe add your next mechanism, and go on.

When you hit a specific issue, come here or to the subreddit mentioned above, and ask questions about it. Try to have done the work yourself as much beforehand, and present a nice thorough report on the issue. Perhaps with more specifics in the early stage and a demonstration that you are going to provide design work also, someone will be intrigued enough to help - or maybe you'll find you can design and only want to bounce specific ideas off the internet community.

During this whole process, don't ignore your eventual components and their cost - how many cards, custom mini sculpts, cubes, pieces of artwork, etc are you going to need and what it means for a final product price.

There was an old adage, to be a good writer you need to read a lot. Same with game design, play a lot - but not in the casual way that most people play. Hone that "what works" skill. It takes practice, and understanding things like player agency in play works. Decision space is a good thing to understand, and how it effects player agency and game state.

So, you say you can't design - I say have you actually sat down and tried. Okay, you have big ideas for games... take one and make is as small and simple as possible to start designing. Also, add to your "street cred" - you have an account created on July 22nd of this year - and in the 2 months you've had an account you've added no games you own, logged no plays, and your only two discussion posts are this one and one 2 months ago asking for graphics designers/artists who can put together a "monopoly like" board. Where is your discussion with other designers, your talk about game rules, your thoughts on games you enjoy, and so on that show your experience with board games? Participate, get involved, and most important... don't assume you can't design until you actually try. Sit down with those terrifying blank pieces of paper and think of somewhere to start; don't invest too much into it, but "fail fast" - jot an idea down, try it, and refine it.

I don't think you'll find many takers on "I have an idea - if you make it for me, we'll split the profits." Odds are there are hundreds of people with the same ideas, and its those that put the work and bring it to market who glean the meager profits (if any) in this hobby. Oh, and there is almost no money to be made in board games - if you think you can make a living at it, realize most designers have day jobs they keep and only the "rockstars" of the industry get to do it for a living. Its possible, but this is a tiny industry. Anyway, best of luck and have fun designing.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't designed any games, you may not realize how common ideas are or how long it takes to execute on one. Most game designers can't finish making a game without getting ideas for at least 3 new games in the meantime.

Therefore, a new idea has approximately zero marginal value to a typical designer.

If you want to be on a team, you should plan to contribute more than just an idea. (In fact, you should be prepared for the possibility that the other team member(s) don't even want your idea because they already have another idea that they like better.)
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be helpful to find Jamey Stegmaier's website and devour it's content.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
I may be wrong, but I think the OP means he's got some game design concepts (at an unspecified level of completion), but he can't do any graphics / art himself, and is looking for a graphic designer / artist to collaborate with.

OP: This forum usually understands "designer" to mean "game designer", so if the above is the case, you should put a call out like Looking for artist to collaborate... etc.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Therefore, a new idea has approximately zero marginal value to a typical designer.


I'd argue they actually have negative marginal value, as they act as shiny new distractions that are so much more fun to do early exploration on than it is to actually bring a previous idea to completion through the hard parts of the process.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
Antistone wrote:
Therefore, a new idea has approximately zero marginal value to a typical designer.


I'd argue they actually have negative marginal value, as they act as shiny new distractions that are so much more fun to do early exploration on than it is to actually bring a previous idea to completion through the hard parts of the process.


It's like a bag of greasy potato chips. I'm on an idea diet! Keep away!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Therefore, a new idea has approximately zero marginal value to a typical designer.


I hate to burst your bubble... No really I wish I wasnt about to.

But from personal experience idea theft can happen. Its happened to me at lest three times that Im aware of. Though only once at the actual concept phase.

It is vanishingly rare though to just have a concept stolen. Mainly because usually your new idea... aint. And even if your new idea is new. It may not be viable or not marketable.

So fretting about it happening is a bit like fretting over being hit by a meteor.(And there is totally not a meteor sitting on my keyboard!)

What usually happens with idea theft is that it does not occur untill the game is actually on the shelves. And more often someone will borrow just some element. Which is actually fairly common.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
And most of the time the 'theft' isn't theft at all. Ideas are almost never new, unique, or special. Someone's thought of it before. Multiple someones are probably working on it, or have worked on it, or considered working on it. Usually without even being aware someone else had the same/similar idea.

New games are most often transformative - they take previous mechanics, themes or concepts and offer a different combination. It's exceptionally rare that a game comes along and makes a new niche for itself, like Magic: the Gathering launched the modern CCG/TCG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
But from personal experience idea theft can happen. Its happened to me at lest three times that Im aware of. Though only once at the actual concept phase.

But did you lose the idea? Did you forget it when the other person took it?

No. Ideas can only be shared, not stolen. What matters is what you do with the idea. Did you make a better game from it than the other person?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
[q="Antistone"]But from personal experience idea theft can happen. Its happened to me at lest three times that Im aware of. Though only once at the actual concept phase.

But did you lose the idea? Did you forget it when the other person took it?

No. Ideas can only be shared, not stolen. What matters is what you do with the idea. Did you make a better game from it than the other person?


When someone else takes your idea and sells it without telling you. And clims it was their idea. Yes. That is stealing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
JadedGamer wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
[q="Antistone"]But from personal experience idea theft can happen. Its happened to me at lest three times that Im aware of. Though only once at the actual concept phase.

But did you lose the idea? Did you forget it when the other person took it?

No. Ideas can only be shared, not stolen. What matters is what you do with the idea. Did you make a better game from it than the other person?


When someone else takes your idea and sells it without telling you. And clims it was their idea. Yes. That is stealing.


What idea and where did someone sell it ?

Ideas usually aren't worth the electrons used to type them up so I'm mighty interested to find someone who actually gives money for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Race concept. One of the playtesters was an artist who took the race and started selling art of the race while claiming it was his idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Race concept. One of the playtesters was an artist who took the race and started selling art of the race while claiming it was his idea.


So he had the audacity to sell his own art ? I think I spotted the problem here.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Race concept. One of the playtesters was an artist who took the race and started selling art of the race while claiming it was his idea.


Not disputing that this was frustrating for you, but I'm not sure that a concept for an alien race is the same as a game idea.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Race concept. One of the playtesters was an artist who took the race and started selling art of the race while claiming it was his idea.


So he had the audacity to sell his own art ? I think I spotted the problem here.


So its ok to steal someone else work and not even credit them? Its good to know this is how far game design has sunk in the last few years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Race concept. One of the playtesters was an artist who took the race and started selling art of the race while claiming it was his idea.


So he had the audacity to sell his own art ? I think I spotted the problem here.


So its ok to steal someone else work and not even credit them? Its good to know this is how far game design has sunk in the last few years.


If someone literally took some words of yours ("your idea") and gave them to someone else and got money for just those words alone, then damn, I need to get into some of this word sales game.

If someone heard some words you spoke, went and did a bunch of work related to those words, and sold the results of that work, then... THEY SOLD THEIR WORK. Your ideas didn't CREATE those work, your ideas didn't cause YOU to do that work.

You may lament that you didn't do anything about your words, and turn them into something else with work. But you may not say they sold your "idea". Because noone buys ideas.

Or if you know someone who does, please please let me know
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Race concept. One of the playtesters was an artist who took the race and started selling art of the race while claiming it was his idea.


So he had the audacity to sell his own art ? I think I spotted the problem here.


So its ok to steal someone else work and not even credit them? Its good to know this is how far game design has sunk in the last few years.


If someone literally took some words of yours ("your idea") and gave them to someone else and got money for just those words alone, then damn, I need to get into some of this word sales game.

If someone heard some words you spoke, went and did a bunch of work related to those words, and sold the results of that work, then... THEY SOLD THEIR WORK. Your ideas didn't CREATE those work, your ideas didn't cause YOU to do that work.

You may lament that you didn't do anything about your words, and turn them into something else with work. But you may not say they sold your "idea". Because noone buys ideas.

Or if you know someone who does, please please let me know :)


Did you even bother to read what happened? Apparently you didnt.

The artist took the race concept during development and was selling art of the race and claiming it was his idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny my good man. What is it about the game design process that you feel you cannot do?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.