Popular Tags: [View All]
M. B.
Italy
Faenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I played my first game yesterday and drawing recipe cards I noticed three "useless" recipe cards (as subject) Rye, Wheat and Barley.
These cards do not add ANYTHING to crafted beer: no color, no strength, no bitterness and no victory points/gold coins.
So, what's their meaning? They are just "dummy" cards you will discard at the end of the year ? A way to create an "unlucky" blind card draw ?

By the way, I LOVED the game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
They are there so you can use a barrel and get that one extra VP.
Let's say you are making two really awesome beers in hopes of winning two good judges. But you have a third barrel. With just one extra wheat you can make that extra bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel George
United States
Orcutt
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stavros is 100% correct. You can create a beer with VERY little up front effort, especially if you have mechanized gnomes. They are good cards.

Keep this in mind - you don't have to focus judges to win the game. Some player just go for QUANTITY over quality and build up VP point beers.
There is a strategy the play test groups called "sloppy seconds". You build your engine to product as MANY beers as possible. Stats don't matter as much as gold and VP spice cards. Typically you will still win one or two judges by accident. This strategy does not win 100% of the time (no single strategy can do that), but if you build your engine right, it is certainly a competitive way to play.

Daniel A George.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge de Grandes
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
The cards that M.B. is talking about are the three Spice Recipe cards that give no stats up, no VPs and/or gold, yet cost you one cube to add them to a beer recipe. Why would anyone ever want to waste a cube on something that gives you no benefit at all? Also, if you get one or more of these cards at the beginning of the game it seems unfair as you're starting with less useful cards.

This only happens to 3 of the 72 cards, though. Just remove them from the game as a house rule and play with the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To brew a beer you need one barrel card and at least one spice card. Those spice cards allow you to brew a barrel card just for it's coins/VPs without having to spend a lot of extra reasources on spice cards.
You would never use those cards on a barrel card if you are also planning on adding other spice cards to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
It really comes down to maths:

The Tavern brewery action shows:
3 grains -> 1 gold

The events that let you buy VP show:
4 gold -> 1 VP

Without spending workers or upgrades on the brewery you can most likely make 3 beers. 3 Barrels = 3 VP just for the barrels.
Concentrating on just one or two good beers for the judges and writing the last one off as a 1VP beer made for mass consumption, you can get really good odds on getting the 3 or 4 VP judge and even have a chance of a second judge. Nobody will win all judges anyway. But if a "better" spice card would have provided 1 VP perhaps at extra cost of ingredients and still not really increased your chances, then you spend extra gold creating a useless beer - meaning a beer that at an increased gold-vp rate still did not bring you any extra judge VPs or ribbons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Italy
Faenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melkathi wrote:
... 3 Barrels = 3 VP just for the barrels.

Wait... what ? 1 VP for barrel? Did I totally miss this rule ??? wow

[UPD]I re-read rules (again) ... but I'm unable to find a rule that states this ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewoods wrote:
melkathi wrote:
... 3 Barrels = 3 VP just for the barrels.

Wait... what ? 1 VP for barrel? Did I totally miss this rule ??? wow

[UPD]I re-read rules (again) ... but I'm unable to find a rule that states this ...

I believe all barrel cards have at least 1 vp printed on them as your reward for brewing it. Some give you coins too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
What David Combs said. All barrels have at least 1 VP reward printed on them. So you know that every beer you brew, regardless of how useless the ingredients, will have a minimum reward of 1 VP granted by the barrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You can also use them just for labelling "flavor" I forget which ones those are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.