9 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Double-sided Leaders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders are a fun way to customized the game without getting into the hassle or expense of having the cards professionally printed. Since they don't need to shuffle into a deck, if the paper weight, size, or cut is a bit off it doesn't matter, and you can put them in Firefly themed sleeves since you don't need to see the back.

So I had an idea wherein you could do double-sided Leader cards. One side would be your standard abilities and skills. The flip could be triggered by any number of conditions such as being Disgruntled, having a Warrant, receiving a Wanted token, having a majority Moral crew, or having 3+ Mercs.

The flip side would have an alternate ability, and could even have altered skills or Keywords. The flipped side could be better, worse, or just different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use the same concept for all starting ship Drive Cores, and starting Ship Upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a cool idea, and one that I think could be utilized by various other things being tossed around the forum, such as loyalty. Bill explored the dual leader idea in his Star Wars material. Remember the Han Solo/Lando swap here:
Millennium Falcon & Slave 1 Ship Pack
I printed those and it never occurred to me to print them or sleeve them double-sided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
You can also use the same concept for all starting ship Drive Cores, and starting Ship Upgrades.

Yeah. You could do a "patched together" Drive Core that you flip when you hit one of the breakdown themed Nav cards. Then the flip side has a reduced range, and you must spend a Part at any Planetary system to repair (flip) it. It's obviously not a bonus, but could come with more starting cash.

Maybe that's the way to do George's "Duct Tape & a Prayer" engine.

You could have a starting Upgrade that was extra stash. Flip it when you are subject to an event that takes your Goods regardless of if it's in the Stash or not. The flip side is just Hold, no longer counts as Stash anymore (your tricksy hidden door was destroyed by the Feds in their search). Again, repair with Parts at a Planetary sector.

How about some External Fuel Pods. Fuel only storage. Spend 1 action to transfer Fuel to Hold (you have to find empty barrels, and pump it out, etc.) Trigger would likely be some Nav card, and when damaged, it leaks 1 Fuel at the start of your Turn. Probably repair by spending an action.

There could be things that get better on the flip side, but I can't think of any right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
It's a cool idea, and one that I think could be utilized by various other things being tossed around the forum, such as loyalty. Bill explored the dual leader idea in his Star Wars material. Remember the Han Solo/Lando swap here:
Millennium Falcon & Slave 1 Ship Pack
I printed those and it never occurred to me to print them or sleeve them double-sided.

Forgot about that, but yeah, even though those were two different characters, but along those lines, you could have something like Commander Skywalker and then on the flip side, Luke Skywalker: Jedi Knight. Some sort of mid game trigger like when you hit your second Goal or something.

Loyalty could be a good one too. Maybe on Side A, your crew is loyal and don't get Disgruntled when you don't pay them, but flip it and you have to pay them double. There's a better way to do that than how i wrote it because all of that could probably be fit on one side like normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This subject got me thinking...

I was thinking of re-doing my Leader card.

Original

Dave

Moral

MECHANIC

mb mb mb

TEA BARON
May purchase Cargo at $100 discount.

TRANSPORT

"You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment."

So if "I" get a Disgruntled token, the Leader Card is flipped over to reveal:

Dave

mb

MECHANIC

mb mb mb

COFFEE BARON
May purchase Contraband at $100 discount.

TRANSPORT

"You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment."

If an event happens where the Leader would gain another mb or remove it, flip the card back!

This could be very interesting... but not tomorrow as we are testing out the Story from PBF27.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it. I'm seeing a very angry, tea deprived man.

You could also do something like something like "TEA ADDICT: Must Pay $700 to the next Contact encountered to buy 1 Cargo. Then remove Disgruntled token." Drop MORAL & MECHANIC, because his hands are shaking too much to do any fine work. Change skills to mb mb mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I mostly drink coffee.

The only tea I drink is Chai! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better! Coffee is more famously addictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.