United States
Bedford
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We at SolarFlare Games are very happy to announce our partnership with Harmony Gold to begin making ROBOTECH based games.

Yes, SolarFlare Games will be bringing you Force of Arms in Q2 of 2018. Watch for it at your local game store once we announce its release.

----
Robotech: Force of Arms is a card game in which you take on the role of either the brave Robotech Defense Force (RDF) or the warrior like Zentraedi. You and your opponent maneuver your fleets and launch your attack and defense forces trying to defeat the enemy’s ships. Using heroes and distinctive commands at the right time can turn the tide of the battle in your favor. Are you ready to defend Earth as the valiant Robotech Defense Forces or capture Earth and the SDF-1 as the giant warlike Zentraedi, with a Force of Arms?

In the game, players try to destroy their opponent’s ships while also successfully defending their own ships in this sector of space. Players take turns tactically moving ships around. Strategically placing their attack and defense fighter cards to defend their own ships and destroy those of their enemy and using their hero and command cards to win the day. The player with the most combined points in defended and successfully destroyed ships wins.

---

You can always find more information about Force of Arms : www.solarflaregames.com
Twitter: @bravefrontier
BGG: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/235653

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you luck, but all I can think is, well, they'll be getting sued by Harmony Gold at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Killingsworth
United States
Bedford
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am making the game under license and in partnership with HG.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was being a bit facetious, but in reality, HG has sued just about everyone they have ever been in league with. Watch your back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Killingsworth
United States
Bedford
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff thank you for the concern.

We really just want to take some fun ideas and dreams I have had about Robotech for 30 years and share them with people. I want a new generation to at least find some of the joy and love for these characters and story as I did.

Think of us and Rick and Lisa - striving towards a brighter future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Killingsworth
United States
Bedford
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added Bit of information!

SolarFlare Games will be at BGG Con again this year in November. We will be in the main hall in booth #507 and we will have Robotech: Force of Arms prototype with us for demoing.

We hope you stop by and check it out.
We are also expecting to be at PAX South and BGG Sping all prior to the release the FoA into the distribution channels.

Thanks
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be sure to really, really, really make it clear that you have absolutely NO connection to Palladium games, the company that made the Robotech RPG and robbed (swindled? embezzled? defrauded? What's the term for when you take someone's money in return for goods and then don't deliver the goods?) lots of people with the Robotech miniatures game. Like, really, really clear.

Oh, and don't be surprised if Palladium threatens to sue you at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Killingsworth
United States
Bedford
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we have nothing to do with Palladium.

The good news is they dont control the IP. I was very careful and made sure they deal for IP right was with HG.

We have successfully delivered 6 kickstarter projects and 8 total games.
Since we are NOT crowdfunding this that means when people go to the store and see it - they can buy it and KNOW they are getting what they paid for.

I love this property so much it just felt right to take it straight to distribution.

I appreciate all the concern and care people are expressing we really appreciate it thanks.

Dave

Any more questions - please just ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauss
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m interested! Loved the series and would really like to see a game do it justice. Looking at your website there isn’t a great deal of information on how the game plays. With only 52 cards in the game set divided amoung two players it seems limited in what I would call “Epic Robotech Scale”, will there be something representing the different mech modes or armor/weapon load Outs? Will you be posting more gameplay information or even a rule book on your site for potential buyers to review before purchase?
Like I said I would love for this to be a success, I must admit to being underwhelmed by previous offerings in the Robotech line so I look forward to your game being the exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Killingsworth
United States
Bedford
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael

I appreciate what you are saying about scale. So after doing 6 Kickstarters and 8 games I have learned that it is best practice to be very transparent with fans, customers and backers.

Force of Arms is what I like to think of as a foundation game for us as we step into this universe that I love so much. It is a light game with some pretty dynamic thinking parts built into it. I really wanted to make sure that I made something to "get my feet wet" and make sure I delivered something of high quality and very good head to head with as hard a lean into the theme as we could make it. This is that first effort.

It is a fun game, it takes some really head to head strategy and thought to beat someone else who is driven to beat you. So does this give you that micro(nian) level of detail you specifically asked for, no. This is a light 30 minute filler game that can be a good challenge....BUT we have at least two more games planed.

In the realm of transparency this game has to be built, tested and manufactured out of pocket...we are going to avoid crowdfunding because we want fans to know when they finally put money down they can pick something up and take it home and start battling.

If you go to the forums here on BGG for the FoA game itself I posted a basic outline of how the game plays. Once I have a nice graphically designed manual ready we will post it and as HG approves artwork we will share it - here and on our site.

We will also unveil a playable prototype at BGG Con at Booth 507 THIS YEAR.

Now I understand your desire to have an immersive and deep ROBOTECH game and since I do not know you personally I am not sure exactly what that is but here is what we have planned.

ROBOTECH: Force of Arms about Jun 2018
ROBOTECH (to be named deck builder) early 2019
After that we have an idea for a ROBOTECH worker placement game that may just scratch that complexity itch you have, but since we have to build up to that (lots of testing) and we have to generate some good sales of the first games to fund art and mfg - hope you can see we will get there and we have a vision.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauss
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,
I appreciate the response greatly! A designer coming onto BGG to promote a game is one thing, but I really like the dir3ction you are going in. Even if Force of Arms isn’t the Robotech game I am looking for, I will keep an eye on it and look forward to more information (I did find bd the general idea post you referenced) about this game. Both the deck builder (soloable, would be amazing) and worker placement sound right up my alley. Keep the communication and information coming and I can’t wait for your product to hit the shelves.
Thanks,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Killingsworth
United States
Bedford
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael

Happy to be here. Happy to be working in this world. We will continue to do other games of our own outside the RT universe but this is kind of special to me personally.

I wrote something for the people at Robotech about why I was this excited. Watch their FB page for it Monday. I will repost it later - but bring some crackers its massive cheese but ever bit of it is heartfelt and true.

The idea we have for the deckbuilder should be scaleable up and down. And 2 expansion ideas.

Now we are just working on names... atm ROBOTECH: The Macross Deck Builder is descriptive if not totally wow... then the expansion ideas abound

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauss
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capstern wrote:
Michael

Happy to be here. Happy to be working in this world. We will continue to do other games of our own outside the RT universe but this is kind of special to me personally.

I wrote something for the people at Robotech about why I was this excited. Watch their FB page for it Monday. I will repost it later - but bring some crackers its massive cheese but ever bit of it is heartfelt and true.

The idea we have for the deckbuilder should be scaleable up and down. And 2 expansion ideas.

Now we are just working on names... atm ROBOTECH: The Macross Deck Builder is descriptive if not totally wow... then the expansion ideas abound

Dave

Can’t wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.