4 Posts

The U.S. Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Important Rules I keep Forgetting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two rules I have forgotten on numerous occasions which have a big impact on the game, so in case other players are doing the same I will tell you what they are.

Entrenchments (10.1.2):
Of crucial importance here is that you cannot spend an Action Point to place an Entrenchment unless the stack is in a friendly-controlled state. If the stack is in an enemy-controlled state you must instead activate the stack with a Move action and spend 2 MP to place the Entrenchment.

Rally (12.5.2):
Of crucial importance here is that a stack may not Move and Rally in the same Action Phase - it must do one or the other.

These two rules work together to put Demoralised units in enemy territory in a very dangerous predicament. They can't Rally and then use an Action Point to Entrench because they are not in friendly territory. If they use a Move Action then they can Entrench for 2 MP but then they are not allowed to Rally. They basically have only two options - Rally and potentially get hit again without the benefit of Entrenchments, or Move and remain Demoralised, meaning they would lose an extra SP if they were hit again and lost the battle (12.2 second bullet point).

I have seen these two rules (and 12.2) work together in an extremely vicious way in my games (when I can remember them). In one game McDowell was trying to invade Virginia with 5 SP through the southern Shenandoah Valley near Staunton (Va).

McDowell was first attacked by Bearegard and drew the battle, losing 1 SP and becoming Demoralised as he was not in Full Supply. McDowell took a Move action to attempt to extricate himself from danger but was hit again next CSA phase by Jackson. This time McDowell was defeated for a loss of 2 SP from the CRT. However, as this meant he was Demoralised again when already Demoralised he had to lose another SP for a total of 3. In the space of a couple of phases he went from 5 SP to 1 and was forced to retreat back to Strasburg (Va) where his beaten men demoralised another 4 SP stack under Banks. It was a huge disaster for the Union and amazing to watch unfold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a couple I have forgotten recently;

(5.8.5) Mobile Bay and Simmesport:The ferry that crosses Mobile
Bay between Mobile and Blakeley and the ferry that crosses the
Mississippi at Simmesport may only be used if a player controls both
sides of the ferry and has Naval Control of the hexside it crosses.

(13.5.4) Enemy-controlled Towns: As long as the Town is not an Objective/Resource Hex, an LOC can be traced through an enemy-controlled Town hex at a cost of one additional MP.

FWIW, losing 4 Union SP doesn't seem like a huge disaster to me, particularly if the Confederates lost 2sp. Pleanty more whre they came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some that either I have forgotten myself or I have seen others forget:

1. There +2 drm on the Supply Attrition Table if you are demoralized

2. Demoralization cannot be removed unless you are in at least Limited or Fortress Supply.

3. Demoralized units cannot be Force Marched.

4. Forage Markers are only removed during the Supply Segment.

5. The effects Forage, Demoralization and Supply Attrition never affect Militia.

6. Militia can be placed in, or repositioned to, an out of supply Objective or Resource Hex provided the hex is not Isolated

7. In the Advanced Game, Union-controlled Ocean Ports provide a +1 drm Defensive Naval Support if their are no Naval Units present.

8. In the Advanced Game, Union Control markers that are in an Ocean-Port that is a Union Primary Supply Source have a 0-NSP strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mougin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Tip #6 suggests that a hex (or unit, I assume) can be out of supply (i.e., not in full or limited supply) but not isolated. Can you explain that? I've read 13.6.1 several times, and it seems to me to say that a unit that can't trace limited supply is isolated because the test for both conditions is the same, namely the bullet points in 13.5.3. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.